And we're back!

Main Menu

Homebuying Questions

Started by merithyn, August 25, 2020, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2020, 02:54:02 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2020, 02:44:52 PM
I'm offering more for two reasons: One, I need them to cover the $7000 closing costs, and two, I want the furniture.

So, by offering $210,000, I'm asking them to cover $2000 of the closing costs and give me the furniture for free.

cc, I'm not sure that I can come up with $2000 in a week for the earnest money right before I move across the country. Hence, my request to lower it to $1000.

How much of the price are you getting financing for?

$203,000 (I'm putting down $7000 downpayment.)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2020, 03:13:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2020, 02:54:02 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2020, 02:44:52 PM
I'm offering more for two reasons: One, I need them to cover the $7000 closing costs, and two, I want the furniture.

So, by offering $210,000, I'm asking them to cover $2000 of the closing costs and give me the furniture for free.

cc, I'm not sure that I can come up with $2000 in a week for the earnest money right before I move across the country. Hence, my request to lower it to $1000.

How much of the price are you getting financing for?

$203,000 (I'm putting down $7000 downpayment.)

Okay.  I was worried you were maybe trying to 100% finance it which had me worried.  I mean you're still quite leveraged here, but not insanely so.

Any reason you can't get $2000 from the amount of your downpayment?  Assuming "earnest money" is a deposit it's money that goes towards the total sale price so you'd have to pay it sooner or later.  Otherwise your reasoning makes sense.  Closing costs seems really high to me, but that's from comparing doing residential RE deals in Canada vs the US so I probably shouldn't say anything.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Wait in the US&A you can get a loan with, what, a 3.5% deposit? Nice, I like. I think?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on October 29, 2020, 03:44:54 PM
Wait in the US&A you can get a loan with, what, a 3.5% deposit? Nice, I like. I think?

And the interest is tax deductible.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 29, 2020, 04:08:17 PM

And the interest is tax deductible.

OH COME ON.

You could only do that here when buying property to let out thereby blocking off more people from owning their own home. But that's been removed now I think.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2020, 03:18:50 PM
Okay.  I was worried you were maybe trying to 100% finance it which had me worried.  I mean you're still quite leveraged here, but not insanely so.

Any reason you can't get $2000 from the amount of your downpayment?  Assuming "earnest money" is a deposit it's money that goes towards the total sale price so you'd have to pay it sooner or later.  Otherwise your reasoning makes sense.  Closing costs seems really high to me, but that's from comparing doing residential RE deals in Canada vs the US so I probably shouldn't say anything.

What do you mean "quite leveraged"?

The earnest money would go toward the downpayment at closing, so I'd have to bring $5000 to the table that day. But again, I don't want to be cash poor when I'm moving across the country. I'd rather just give them $1000 now and $6000 at the closing in December.

I asked my mortgage broker what the average closing costs were in Illinois, and he said that we should expect 3.5% for closing costs, plus the downpayment. So, basically, $7000. A Google search says closer to 2% - 3%, which at the largest amount is still ~$6000.

HisMajestyBOB

Some banks even offer no down payment, though credit requirements are generally higher.

You also have to pay a small mortgage insurance premium if the loan to value is above 80%. For conventional loans, the premium goes away when you get down to 80%, but not for FHA. You can refinance the loan at that point though.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

It's a special kind of loan called an FHA. My credit is good enough to get it to 3.5% downpayment, but a lower credit score would require 5% down. As a first-time homebuyer, I qualify.

merithyn

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 29, 2020, 04:15:42 PM

Some banks even offer no down payment, though credit requirements are generally higher.

You also have to pay a small mortgage insurance premium if the loan to value is above 80%. For conventional loans, the premium goes away when you get down to 80%, but not for FHA. You can refinance the loan at that point though.

Of course, once I get to that point, I'm fairly sure that my interest will be higher than 2.5%. :ph34r:

Grey Fox

Around here, we don't have closing costs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

I'm surprised the FHA allows that small a down payment.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2020, 05:08:40 PM
Around here, we don't have closing costs.

Yes we do. It's the notary fees...
Que le grand cric me croque !

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 29, 2020, 05:10:56 PM
I'm surprised the FHA allows that small a down payment.

Yup. :)

QuoteFHA Loan Requirements
Important FHA Guidelines for Borrowers
The FHA, or Federal Housing Administration, provides mortgage insurance on loans made by FHA-approved lenders. FHA insures these loans on single family and multi-family homes in the United States and its territories. It is the largest insurer of residential mortgages in the world, insuring tens of millions of properties since 1934 when it was created.

FICO® score at least 580 = 3.5% down payment.
FICO® score between 500 and 579 = 10% down payment.
MIP (Mortgage Insurance Premium ) is required.
Debt-to-Income Ratio < 43%.
The home must be the borrower's primary residence.
Borrower must have steady income and proof of employment.

DGuller

Holy fuck, you can buy a house at 33:1 leverage ratio?  :hmm: That seems like an unwise policy.  Maybe we need to move this discussion to AR's thread about the last bubble.

Grey Fox

Only 580 needed for the lowest down payment. Wow.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.