And we're back!

Main Menu

Homebuying Questions

Started by merithyn, August 25, 2020, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 29, 2020, 05:35:43 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 29, 2020, 05:08:40 PM
Around here, we don't have closing costs.

Yes we do. It's the notary fees...

And more, land title fees, search fees or title protection fees, adjustment costs for utilities etc. etc.  What I remember most about it all is I dreaded having to remember all the details for the bar exam.  :D  It made me realize there was no way in hell I wanted to become a conveyancer.  But I have litigated real estate contracts.  Easier to identify the mistakes made by others than making sure no mistakes are made....

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2020, 02:50:37 AM
I might be closer to the center of the US than anyone else now. Languish meet in Peoria?

I'd say "yes" but don't want to scare you off.

That looks a lot like my dream house, as well. Good luck!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on October 29, 2020, 10:13:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 29, 2020, 02:50:37 AM
I might be closer to the center of the US than anyone else now. Languish meet in Peoria?

I'd say "yes" but don't want to scare you off.

That looks a lot like my dream house, as well. Good luck!

I would so love to meet you! Are you kidding??

Thanks. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Depending on what the inspection shows, it looks like I'm buying a house. ^_^

Party at Meri's 2022. ;)

Should have the attic gaming room done by then. (Think RPG and board games rather than pool table and pingpong table.)

Tamas

I have met Grumbler in person.  :ph34r:

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2020, 11:43:02 AM

Should have the attic gaming room done by then. (Think RPG and board games rather than pool table and pingpong table.)

:thumbsdown:

Seriously though, I am so jelly, I hope they agree to the deal, the house looks fantastic.

Caliga

Hey, I've got a pool table for you Tamas. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on October 30, 2020, 12:06:37 PM

Seriously though, I am so jelly, I hope they agree to the deal, the house looks fantastic.

The pool table/ping pong table will be in one side of the garage. ;)

Tamas

Now you reminded me of the project of somehow getting a pool table into my old living room at my parents' house. I think a standard English one would fit with enough room left to let you play.

Problem is the stairs leading there have such a tight turn that it would entirely impossible getting the table through. It would have to be lifted by machine to the balcony. :P Which seems excessive.

But I think my Dad would like it and it would be excellent for having my friends over when I do what used to be my bi-monthly visits to the country.

Caliga

Every since the pandemic started and I've been working from home, I usually shoot pool when I take breaks.  I've actally gotten much better at it.  Even made a masse shot or two, though I'm a little scared to even try them since you could rip the felt on the table if you're not careful.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on October 30, 2020, 12:12:03 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 30, 2020, 12:06:37 PM

The pool table/ping pong table will be in one side of the garage. ;)

:D Awesome.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Depending on what the inspection shows, it looks like I'm buying a house. ^_^

Party at Meri's 2022. ;)

couldn't pay me a million dollars to visit Mideast.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josquius

I used to have a pool table. Sold it for super cheap as there just wasn't space for it. Had to have someone help me move all the dining room furniture out the way whenever I wanted to play and even then shots from close to some sides were impossible.
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

So here's where things stand:

They countered with MORE than before, offering to only pay half closing costs. So the net amount they're asking for is now $500 over asking price, rather than the $4000 under asking price they asked for before. That's a difference of $5500 in their favor. Plus, we'd have to cover over $3000 in closing costs.

The kicker, though, is that they are refusing to sign any kind of agreement until I receive a letter of pre-qualification for a mortgage. I won't receive that until next Tuesday or Wednesday, while my mortgage company does some paperwork stuff. The mortgage broker has told my realtor this, and that I'm all but qualified, but the seller wants the actual letter in hand.

Oh, and now there's another person interested in the house, and she has a pre-qual letter in hand. The problem with her is that she's already in a contract with another house, and so she'll have to see if she can break that contract before she can even put an offer in on this house.

Too much drama. I'm ready to walk. I've told them final offer: $210,000 plus $3500 closing costs and they sign a contract to that effect today. Otherwise, I'm looking elsewhere.

Already found a slightly smaller, less grandiose house for half the price down the street from that one. It needs work, but at that price, I can put in a lot to make it what I want. And maybe I won't have to deal with the bullshit the other lady is trying to put me through.