News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Da Belarusian thread

Started by Razgovory, August 17, 2020, 10:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Razgovory on May 23, 2021, 01:26:02 PM
That is an intolerable attack on two NATO countries.

According to Belarussian opposition the plane was threatened with being shot down if it didn't divert to Minsk. That definitely feels like an attack on EU and NATO citizens.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Planes carrying people from Hong Kong to Europe need to pass through Chinese airspace. 

Just saying. 

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on May 23, 2021, 06:28:00 PM
Planes carrying people from Hong Kong to Europe need to pass through Chinese airspace. 

Just saying.

I don't get it. What's your point?

Razgovory

Taking the Athens-Hong Kong-Vilnius route would avoid Belarussian air space...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Just saying.

Planes carrying people from Chicago to Europe have to pass through US airspace.

Just saying.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on May 23, 2021, 06:58:49 PM

Just saying.

I don't get it. What's your point?

A lot of rioters and pan-democrats go to Europe.  They now face a non-zero chance of being diverted to the Mainland when they inevitably pass Chinese airspace.  Some one may decide to copy the tactics used. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on May 23, 2021, 07:06:59 PM
A lot of rioters and pan-democrats go to Europe.  They now face a non-zero chance of being diverted to the Mainland when they inevitably pass Chinese airspace.  Some one may decide to copy the tactics used.

That sounds like tremendous overkill.  Why not just grab them in Hong Kong?

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 23, 2021, 07:37:34 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 23, 2021, 07:06:59 PM

That sounds like tremendous overkill.  Why not just grab them in Hong Kong?

Lots of reasons.  In Hong Kong, the police need a proper justification and possibly a court order to grab someone.  On the Mainland, they can just do it.  Here, once they have grabbed someone, they have to file charges in 48 hours or release them.  On the Mainland, it is basically indefinite detention.  Once charges are filed, it is up to the courts to decide whether to convict, and the level of penalty.  On the Mainland, conviction is guaranteed, and they can simply shoot them. 

Monoriu

Anyway, I don't think it is going to happen, but I think it is going to add yet another level in the rioters' already high stress levels.  Previously, they probably felt safe once they have boarded the plane and it is cleared for take-off.  Now they'll feel relieved only when the plane has reached, say EU airspace. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on May 23, 2021, 08:14:07 PM
Lots of reasons.  In Hong Kong, the police need a proper justification and possibly a court order to grab someone.  On the Mainland, they can just do it.  Here, once they have grabbed someone, they have to file charges in 48 hours or release them.  On the Mainland, it is basically indefinite detention.  Once charges are filed, it is up to the courts to decide whether to convict, and the level of penalty.  On the Mainland, conviction is guaranteed, and they can simply shoot them.

I don't remember any of that applying to that book store owner that got kidnapped.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 23, 2021, 08:58:18 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 23, 2021, 08:14:07 PM

I don't remember any of that applying to that book store owner that got kidnapped.

Over 10,000 rioters were arrested in 2019/2020.  None was kidnapped.  All were processed according to the law. 

Admiral Yi

QuoteThe Causeway Bay Books disappearances are a series of international disappearances concerning five staff members of Causeway Bay Books, a former bookstore located in Causeway Bay, Hong Kong. Between October and December 2015, five staff of Causeway Bay Books went missing. At least two of them disappeared in mainland China, one in Thailand. One member was last seen in Hong Kong, and eventually revealed to be in Shenzhen, across the Chinese border, without the travel documents necessary to have crossed the border through legal channels.

Jacob

Yeah Mono, that's the point. Why go to the trouble of diverting aircraft when dissidents are arrested by the thousands easily enough?

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on May 23, 2021, 09:17:01 PM
Yeah Mono, that's the point. Why go to the trouble of diverting aircraft when dissidents are arrested by the thousands easily enough?

Because of the thousands arrested, the majority have yet to be charged, and even among those charged, many were acquitted after trial. 

Jacob

So that's the reason the CCP regime is going to divert airplanes from a territory it already controls? Because some of the thousands of dissidents they arrest are released again?

I dunno, doesn't sound super convincing....