News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Da Belarusian thread

Started by Razgovory, August 17, 2020, 10:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

It's looking like Putin is working hard to smoothly control any political transition.  :sleep:

https://www.ft.com/content/53c4f8ec-c2da-48db-9459-6dc717e79b9c

Liep

I'm worried for Belarus. Lukashenko seems to have completely lost it.

He and his son are in Minsk wearing full combat gear with rifles leading the security forces.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Habbaku

Finally a Tsar leading his people to battle again!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 20, 2020, 04:13:11 AM
It's looking like Putin is working hard to smoothly control any political transition.  :sleep:

https://www.ft.com/content/53c4f8ec-c2da-48db-9459-6dc717e79b9c

Pay wall. The exec summary?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/07/belarus-opposition-leader-maria-kolesnikova-snatched-from-street-in-minsk-reports

QuoteBelarus opposition leader Maria Kolesnikova 'snatched from street' in Minsk

Unidentified masked men snatched the leading Belarusian opposition figure Maria Kolesnikova from the street in the centre of the capital, Minsk, on Monday and drove her away in a minivan, witnesses told local media.

Kolesnikova was one of the campaign partners of the opposition candidate Svetlana Tikhanovskaya, who claimed victory against the long-ruling president, Alexander Lukashenko, in disputed elections on 9 August.

Kolesnikova was reportedly seized soon after 10am local time while walking close to Minsk's national art museum. Three other members of the opposition coordination council have also vanished, in what appears to be a targeted attempt by the authorities to wipe out the protest movement.

Kolesnikova is the most prominent political figure still inside Belarus.

Lukashenko's victory – in a poll widely seen as rigged – has sparked mass protests. On Sunday, more than 100,000 people marched on the president's residence, calling on him to quit. Riot police wearing balaclavas arrested 633 people. Gangs of pro-government thugs beat up protesters on their way home.

It is unclear who abducted Koselnikova. Her coordination council colleagues who have disappeared include Anton Rodnenkov, Ivan Kravtsov and Maxim Bogretsov. Her press team is also missing.

Speaking to the local news website Tut.by, a woman identified as Anastasia said she spotted Kolesnikova in the street. She said she was about to go up to her and to thank her for her work when she changed her mind, thinking Kolesnikova looked exhausted.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

A horrible crime clearly perpetuated by the rioters and in no way linked to glorious president.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

The article is referring to them in the past tense...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

And it isn't slowing down.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/09/belarus-opposition-figure-maxim-znak-taken-from-office-by-masked-men

QuoteBelarus opposition figure Maxim Znak taken from office by masked men

Belarusian authorities have detained one of the last leading members of an opposition council who had remained free, moving methodically to end a month of protests against President Alexander Lukashenko.

Maxim Znak, a lawyer and member of the coordination council created by the opposition to facilitate talks with the country's leader on a transition of power, was taken out of the council's office by unidentified people in ski masks, his associate Gleb German said. He said Znak only had time to text message "masks" before they took the phone away from him.

Unidentified people were also trying to enter the apartment of the last member of the council's executive presidium who remained free, Svetlana Alexievich, who won the 2015 Nobel prize in literature.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Is "Znak" a common name in Belarus?  I thought it was just the Russian word for "sign".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Not every Slavic last name fits a pattern, there are always some odd ones mixed in.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Liep on August 23, 2020, 02:31:40 PM
I'm worried for Belarus. Lukashenko seems to have completely lost it.

He and his son are in Minsk wearing full combat gear with rifles leading the security forces.

there was an interview with one of his soviet era handlers a while ago and the guy basically said he was bonkers, and always has been bonkers

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2020, 10:31:47 AM
Not every Slavic last name fits a pattern, there are always some odd ones mixed in.

I've noticed a fair number of "Tooth-less" and "Arm-(or hand)less".  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 09, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 09, 2020, 10:31:47 AM

I've noticed a fair number of "Tooth-less" and "Arm-(or hand)less".  :P

The Slavic name "Eileen" means "missing one leg."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Time to use the carrot for Lukashenko?