News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Pick Mississippi's New Flag!

Started by HisMajestyBOB, August 03, 2020, 09:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 04, 2020, 01:58:52 PM
Does it specify font size our language? Make it microscopic, or in Sindarin.

I think that was the idea with the flag with Arabic writings.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

I suggest that flags should be as apolitical as possible.  So just pick an animal or plant that is somewhat unique to Mississippi.  Use the white, blue, red colour scheme, because those are the colours of the US flag. 

No political messaging of any sort. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2020, 08:31:49 PM
I suggest that flags should be as apolitical as possible.  So just pick an animal or plant that is somewhat unique to Mississippi.  Use the white, blue, red colour scheme, because those are the colours of the US flag. 

What sort of political messaging do you see on flags? I mean they are unlikely to put a hammer and sickle on it.

"In God We Trust" is a political message though, despite your association with currency :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2020, 08:05:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2020, 01:22:01 PM
It sucks it has to say "In God We Trust" on it. Words on flags sucks ass.

Why?  In God We Trust, as far as I am concerned, mean US$ :contract:

Aesthetic taste. Currency and flags are not the same thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2020, 08:46:07 PM

What sort of political messaging do you see on flags? I mean they are unlikely to put a hammer and sickle on it.

"In God We Trust" is a political message though, despite your association with currency :P

I see political messaging on flags everywhere.  Liberty, equality, fraternity is an obvious one.  Hammer and sickle for sure.  The South African one is about races.  I am sure there are far more examples that I am too lazy to list. 

Yes, In God We Trust is a political message.  But that's a design requirement that can't be helped.  The designers' job should be to design a flag that is as apolitical as possible given the circumstances. 

Valmy

Which flag says "liberty equality fraternity" on it? :hmm:

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2020, 09:57:31 PM

Stop playing dumb  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2020, 10:10:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2020, 09:57:31 PM

Stop playing dumb  :P

If you are talking about the French flag, that was chosen long before anybody decided the three colors meant Liberty Equality Fraternity. It was just the colors of Paris and the colors of the House of Bourbon together,

Surely Mississippi cannot choose a flag that somebody could not decide later meant something political :hmm: That's impossible.

Razgovory

This is contradictory.  A state is political.  That is the nature of a state.  And, no, Hong Kong civil service isn't any different.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2020, 08:05:29 PM
Why?  In God We Trust, as far as I am concerned, mean US$ :contract:

Those are just anti-commie bucks.  The official motto before the anti-communist Jesus freaks took over the US Congress was "e pluribus unum," first used in 1776.

Naturally, as someone who has no trust in gods, I like the old motto.  Reading any religious tract from any religion will tell you that the last being one should trust is a god.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

If there's one thing that's not political, it sure is a flag.
Que le grand cric me croque !

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on August 04, 2020, 08:21:32 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 04, 2020, 01:58:52 PM
Does it specify font size our language? Make it microscopic, or in Sindarin.

I think that was the idea with the flag with Arabic writings.

Yup; that's "In God we Trust" in Arabic.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on August 04, 2020, 05:04:58 AM
Laser Kiwi Flag, anyone?

Maybe they can put a Magnolia instead of the fern.

What would be the missisisisisisisipi version of the kiwi?

I fear something like a gollywog.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch