News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Help Pick Mississippi's New Flag!

Started by HisMajestyBOB, August 03, 2020, 09:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HisMajestyBOB

Mississippi is changing their flag and they've invited the public to submit their suggestions. The only requirement is that it must contain the words "In God We Trust." The submissions are now viewable here and I invite you to post your favorites: https://mdah.pic-time.com/-flagcommission/gallery

Some of them are actually fairly decent:

Others, less so  :bleeding::

I imagine that, if selected, the state flag will be exactly as depicted, wood desk or Facebook post and all:

Or perhaps a flag that must be hand-written on college-ruled paper:

But in the end, this one's my favorite:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

PDH

At least one should have a gun in it.   :(
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Monoriu

I am amazed that the official flag of a US state contains an emblem of a traitorous organisation that once rebelled against the US Federal government and killed untold numbers of Americans.  They are only changing that in the 21st century? :blink:

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2020, 09:39:15 PM
I am amazed that the official flag of a US state contains an emblem of a traitorous organisation that once rebelled against the US Federal government and killed untold numbers of Americans.  They are only changing that in the 21st century? :blink:

We...made a deal. Reconciliation was politically necessary.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Sometimes, you get more flies with honey.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Sometimes, you get generations of racist assholes with that kind of honey.

The Brain

The criminal may serve his sentence and rejoin society. The heretic may renounce his false beliefs and be absolved in death. But the traitor will find no peace in this world or the next. Except in the South.

On topic: that's not a seal. It's some kind of bird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The Mississippi flag came into being in the 1890s.  It wasn't about reconciliation, it was about the dual manifestations of Jim Crow and white supremacy in both North and South.  The South lost the war but after a generation passed it seized control of the peace.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on August 03, 2020, 10:55:28 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2020, 09:39:15 PM

We...made a deal. Reconciliation was politically necessary.

I am so glad a similar deal was not reached with post-WWII Germany.  If the US and Germany could achieve reconciliation without the use of Swastikas, I am sure the great Mississippians could have done much better.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2020, 02:10:49 AM
I am so glad a similar deal was not reached with post-WWII Germany.  If the US and Germany could achieve reconciliation without the use of Swastikas, I am sure the great Mississippians could have done much better.

What does Nazi Germany have to do with anything?  They didn't rebel against anyone. 

Europe is full of examples of peoples or nations that have rebelled and still fly their national flag.

I personally don't have a problem with folks that want to secede and find the use of the word traitor in these cases problematic.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2020, 02:44:30 AM
Europe is full of examples of peoples or nations that have rebelled and still fly their national flag.

There are many things that can be said regarding this statement, but I will limit myself to observing that Mississippi and similar are neither peoples nor nations.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2020, 03:00:59 AM
There are many things that can be said regarding this statement, but I will limit myself to observing that Mississippi and similar are neither peoples nor nations.

Hopefully the many other things that can be said are more interesting than this.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2020, 03:14:55 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 04, 2020, 03:00:59 AM

Hopefully the many other things that can be said are more interesting than this.

You'd hope so, but no. The above is probably sufficient though.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 04, 2020, 02:44:30 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 04, 2020, 02:10:49 AM

What does Nazi Germany have to do with anything?  They didn't rebel against anyone. 

I personally don't have a problem with folks that want to secede and find the use of the word traitor in these cases problematic.

I was thinking, keeping defeated emblems around isn't essential to achieving reconciliation. 

I do not agree that people can just secede, and would argue that unilateral secession is traitorous behaviour. 

The Larch

Laser Kiwi Flag, anyone?

Maybe they can put a Magnolia instead of the fern.