News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you wear a mask in public?

Started by merithyn, July 08, 2020, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear a mask when you leave your house?

US - No, what's the point?
US - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
US - Yes, always
ROTW - No, what's the point?
ROTW - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
ROTW - Yes, always
Jaron don't need no mask

Grey Fox

Because you stop spitting germs everywhere.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

I would not want to work in a restaurant kitchen in a mask but otherwise I am starting to think people HAVE grown soft with all this global QQing over mask wearing.

Razgovory

If you refrain from using plosives you probably could avoid using the mask all together.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2020, 12:53:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2020, 12:09:10 AM
I observed the staff working at the first place.  All had evident trouble breathing through the masks, their face red, and you could see the mask moving - a lot - as they tried to take a long breath.  And they were constantly removing their glasses and their masks because they couldn't see anything anymore and because it was way too difficult to breath. At the other place, the waitress told us she'll have to wear a mask from Saturday on and said she had no idea how she'd do it, she tried it before, they all tried it, and it was way too hard to breath with these things in the kitchen, and even in the restaurant when it was warm outside.  Tonight was only 20-22C at most, outside.  When the temp raises to 34-35C + humidex, going at 40C or above, they will suffocate.  Some employees will pass out if they keep their masks on all day.

I wore a mask for eight hours on Saturday, including in 32C weather with 75%+ humidity. I have pretty bad asthma and am seriously claustrophobic. I also walked very quickly for 25 minutes to get from one side of the airport to another, and then walked a good bit once I got home to catch my train and bus. (Totaled 5 miles of walking that day.)

You're in a better shape than I am, despite your asthma.  No way I'm running or walking quickly in any temperature, my knees and my right ankle won't tolerate it.

I had the mask on today, it's a mild 26C outside.  Before the 1hr mark, my mask was all wet.  It should have been changed right there, way before the recommended 2hrs.  At the 1h mark, I was so sweaty that my hearing devices started beeping, too much humidity.  5 min later and they were both gone, back to normal hearing, which means in my case, not much.

Also, couldn't wear my sunglasses outside after a few minutes, they were filled with mist.  Apparently, there's a trick to avoid that, I'll have to look at that.

So, yeah, it's a hassle. And having the mask wet after 1hr means that it no longers protects against anything, so I'm just as likely to expell viruses.

Also, before the mask, my own estimates (for my locality, mind you, I haven't travelled a lot since March), 99% of people were observing their distances.  Now, it's no more than 50%.

The theory is fine, it's an undisputable fact that under ideal laboratory conditions the mask will protect both the wearer (even non medital cotton masks will filter some particles and you get reduced chances of contracting the diseases, or at least getting really, really, sick) and the general public around the wearer.  In practice though, I have serious reservations.

But unfortunately, it is the law, and I am unable to change it.  Nor am I willing to, at this point, if it was in my power to do so, I want to give a chance to real life experiments before.  No way I'm goint to a stupid anti-mask protest either, there are worst attack at my freedom than this.

We will see in one month from now if we have a rapid decreases of cases in Montreal and its surroundings.  Has there has been no cases here since March, with or without masks won't change anything for our local situation.

I'm also anxious to observe the situation in the US, in places were the mask has been made mandatory for a little while now.  Imho, nothing short of strick isolation, shelter in place would reduce the spread by now, unfortunately.  :(

I hope everyone here will be safe.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

I think social distancing is a highly expensive and ineffective measure.  I suspect that we would've been better off going all-in on masks, with proper enforcement, and skipping that social distancing stuff.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on July 21, 2020, 01:50:38 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2020, 12:53:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2020, 12:09:10 AM
I observed the staff working at the first place.  All had evident trouble breathing through the masks, their face red, and you could see the mask moving - a lot - as they tried to take a long breath.  And they were constantly removing their glasses and their masks because they couldn't see anything anymore and because it was way too difficult to breath. At the other place, the waitress told us she'll have to wear a mask from Saturday on and said she had no idea how she'd do it, she tried it before, they all tried it, and it was way too hard to breath with these things in the kitchen, and even in the restaurant when it was warm outside.  Tonight was only 20-22C at most, outside.  When the temp raises to 34-35C + humidex, going at 40C or above, they will suffocate.  Some employees will pass out if they keep their masks on all day.

I wore a mask for eight hours on Saturday, including in 32C weather with 75%+ humidity. I have pretty bad asthma and am seriously claustrophobic. I also walked very quickly for 25 minutes to get from one side of the airport to another, and then walked a good bit once I got home to catch my train and bus. (Totaled 5 miles of walking that day.)

You're in a better shape than I am, despite your asthma.  No way I'm running or walking quickly in any temperature, my knees and my right ankle won't tolerate it.

I had the mask on today, it's a mild 26C outside.  Before the 1hr mark, my mask was all wet.  It should have been changed right there, way before the recommended 2hrs.  At the 1h mark, I was so sweaty that my hearing devices started beeping, too much humidity.  5 min later and they were both gone, back to normal hearing, which means in my case, not much.

Also, couldn't wear my sunglasses outside after a few minutes, they were filled with mist.  Apparently, there's a trick to avoid that, I'll have to look at that.

So, yeah, it's a hassle. And having the mask wet after 1hr means that it no longers protects against anything, so I'm just as likely to expell viruses.

Also, before the mask, my own estimates (for my locality, mind you, I haven't travelled a lot since March), 99% of people were observing their distances.  Now, it's no more than 50%.

The theory is fine, it's an undisputable fact that under ideal laboratory conditions the mask will protect both the wearer (even non medital cotton masks will filter some particles and you get reduced chances of contracting the diseases, or at least getting really, really, sick) and the general public around the wearer.  In practice though, I have serious reservations.

But unfortunately, it is the law, and I am unable to change it.  Nor am I willing to, at this point, if it was in my power to do so, I want to give a chance to real life experiments before.  No way I'm goint to a stupid anti-mask protest either, there are worst attack at my freedom than this.

We will see in one month from now if we have a rapid decreases of cases in Montreal and its surroundings.  Has there has been no cases here since March, with or without masks won't change anything for our local situation.

I'm also anxious to observe the situation in the US, in places were the mask has been made mandatory for a little while now.  Imho, nothing short of strick isolation, shelter in place would reduce the spread by now, unfortunately.  :(

I hope everyone here will be safe.

Dude honestly, and don't take this the wrong way, but you seem to have a lot of health problems. I understand that the mask is annoying, absolutely no one is enjoying this. But how about you just stay home as much as you can? You don't need to go to restaurants. Have them deliver.

Razgovory

I am happy with any measure that allows me to cover most of my face.  This is like a blessing in disguise for ugly people.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2020, 05:50:50 PM
I am happy with any measure that allows me to cover most of my face.  This is like a blessing in disguise for ugly people.
I was told by a friend that my mask (which she made) suits me. Which I'm taking as subtly but importantly distinct from saying I suit my mask.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

How many masks do you guys have?

My GF & I have both 4, my kids have 3 each.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 21, 2020, 08:29:36 PM

5 total
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Larch

1 reusable and several disposable ones (always 1 in the car, 1 with me when I go out as backup to the reusable one and 2-3 on reserve at home).

Tamas

Bought a 50 pack of disposables a couple of weeks before they were made mandatory in shops here.

We don't actually go to shops though so I recon they are going to last a while. :)

merithyn

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 21, 2020, 08:29:36 PM

I have five, of which I made. I just ordered three more.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...