News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you wear a mask in public?

Started by merithyn, July 08, 2020, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear a mask when you leave your house?

US - No, what's the point?
US - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
US - Yes, always
ROTW - No, what's the point?
ROTW - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
ROTW - Yes, always
Jaron don't need no mask

Caliga

I got the reference.  Love that movie. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2020, 12:09:10 AM
I observed the staff working at the first place.  All had evident trouble breathing through the masks, their face red, and you could see the mask moving - a lot - as they tried to take a long breath.  And they were constantly removing their glasses and their masks because they couldn't see anything anymore and because it was way too difficult to breath. At the other place, the waitress told us she'll have to wear a mask from Saturday on and said she had no idea how she'd do it, she tried it before, they all tried it, and it was way too hard to breath with these things in the kitchen, and even in the restaurant when it was warm outside.  Tonight was only 20-22C at most, outside.  When the temp raises to 34-35C + humidex, going at 40C or above, they will suffocate.  Some employees will pass out if they keep their masks on all day.

I wore a mask for eight hours on Saturday, including in 32C weather with 75%+ humidity. I have pretty bad asthma and am seriously claustrophobic. I also walked very quickly for 25 minutes to get from one side of the airport to another, and then walked a good bit once I got home to catch my train and bus. (Totaled 5 miles of walking that day.)

At no time did I feel like I couldn't breath, nor did I feel like I was going to pass out. I do huff and puff a bit, which made my mask visibly contract against my face, but I never felt like it impeded my breathing.

My son, a server, wears a mask eight hours a day. He's said that it's not fun, but at no time does he feel like he can't breath. He, too, has pretty bad asthma, as well as anxiety and claustrophobia.

There may be those for whom wearing a mask is an issue, but I would guess that 95%+ of the population will do just fine. Especially those who are servers and used to physical exercise. I'm just not buying the whole "it's too hard!!" argument on this.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Some masks do make it hard to breathe, but those are typically the DYI kinds that were popular early on, or the highly protective masks.  Making masks sufficiently breathable actually is a challenge, especially fully sealed masks like N95, but the garden variety surgical masks that most people wear don't really have that issue.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2020, 01:34:24 PM
Some masks do make it hard to breathe, but those are typically the DYI kinds that were popular early on, or the highly protective masks.  Making masks sufficiently breathable actually is a challenge, especially fully sealed masks like N95, but the garden variety surgical masks that most people wear don't really have that issue.

The masks that I'm using are the masks that I made: two layers of quilter's cotton with an inner liner of cotton flannel.

Still not hard.

grumbler

Went to Wally World for some furnace filters and cleaning supplies, and they had all the entrances but one blocked off.  In that one, you had to run a gauntlet of two security types with a mask on to get in (the first was at the entrance to the gauntlet to turn away anyone not wearing a mask, the second by the door to the story to, I guess, make sure nobody got by the first guy while he was talking to the non-mask-wearers).  This was as hardcore as I seen mask enforcement go. 

They'd already started tearing down shelving to widen aisles.  About half the aisles were the new style, and were mono-directional.  They seemed to be settling in for the long haul - cutting shelving by about a third to make wider aisles is a big step.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on July 19, 2020, 12:05:04 AM
https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/07/17/roseville-urination-verizon-arrest/

QuoteWoman Urinates On Floor After Refusing To Leave Verizon Store For Not Wearing Mask

ROSEVILLE (CBS13) — We've seen a lot of confrontations involving masks, including verbal fights, physical altercations and even coughing fits. But this one might top it all when a regular day at work turned into quite a show at the Verizon store off Galleria Boulevard in Roseville.

In a 911 call, you hear a dispatch operator tell an officer three people are "refusing to leave, not wearing a mask... they've asked several times and she refuses."

About three minutes later the operator tells the officer, "They're calling back and advising that that female is pulling down her pants and is now urinating inside the business."

"Absolutely not. That's totally inappropriate. We're not animals," said Michelle Davidson.

Roseville Police got to the scene and confirmed the incident to CBS13. Spokesperson Rob Baquera says officers arrested the woman after finding several stolen items from a nearby Dick's Sporting Goods store in her vehicle.

"I don't really have much to say except that's probably not the right way to react to it. Simply wear the mask or leave I guess," said Kelly Berger.

"I'm very disappointed that we as a society choose to have this unity and let the virus divide us," said Davidson.

Verizon spokesperson Heidi Flato says the company is requiring all customers to wear masks in their stores. Flato told CBS13 the incident wasn't just about the company's mask policy but wouldn't comment further about what happened.

Well. Thats a rational response.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Who are Michelle Davidson and Kelly Berger?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 20, 2020, 04:31:46 PM
Who are Michelle Davidson and Kelly Berger?

I wondered the same thing. It's a really badly written article.

Tonitrus

I tend to think professional journalism has gone off the rails quite a bit.  I keep running into easily caught typos in web-articles all the time.

The editors are coming home to roost.  :sleep:

garbon

NY Post adds that both are residents but I still don't know why we should care about their opinions. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

That is another aspect of the decline of journalism.  We often see articles that seem to bandy about twitter posts by random who-the-fuck-are-you's as if they have any more meaning than any other shit someone may toss onto a wall.

crazy canuck

In Whistler for a few days.  At check in at ther resort we had our temperatures taken and we had to attest that we had no symptoms.  We were given marks for when we leave the property.  Walking around Whistler village I estimate it is about 50% but the big difference is it is mainly locals.  Normally the place is packed with foreign tourists.  It is very peasant to experience it this way.  This must pale in comparison to how the people of overtouristed areas of Europe etc must be feeling.

All staff wear masks, some guests but most are not.  It is all outdoors so not really necessary.  Everyone is trying to keep social distancing.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 20, 2020, 06:54:55 PM
In Whistler for a few days.  At check in at ther resort we had our temperatures taken and we had to attest that we had no symptoms.  We were given marks for when we leave the property.  Walking around Whistler village I estimate it is about 50% but the big difference is it is mainly locals.  Normally the place is packed with foreign tourists.  It is very peasant to experience it this way.  This must pale in comparison to how the people of overtouristed areas of Europe etc must be feeling.

All staff wear masks, some guests but most are not.  It is all outdoors so not really necessary. Everyone is trying to keep social distancing.

Good luck with that.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Meh, outdoors with at least two meters separation doesn't seem so bad.  Tomorrow we are taking a gondola lift up the mountain for some hiking.  Masks are mandatory for that ride even though there will be plexiglass separating us from the others.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on July 20, 2020, 12:53:58 PM

There may be those for whom wearing a mask is an issue, but I would guess that 95%+ of the population will do just fine. Especially those who are servers and used to physical exercise. I'm just not buying the whole "it's too hard!!" argument on this.
Not my observations so far.  I will see next time I get to a restaurant, but right now, it's too hard.  A visor would be sufficient for them, imho. 

For customers, well, we have to wear it until we are sitting in our place, then we can remove it.  I fail to see how this will prevent the spread of infections, but I'll do it since it's the law.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.