News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you wear a mask in public?

Started by merithyn, July 08, 2020, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear a mask when you leave your house?

US - No, what's the point?
US - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
US - Yes, always
ROTW - No, what's the point?
ROTW - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
ROTW - Yes, always
Jaron don't need no mask

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 15, 2020, 01:25:28 PM
No one likes it. It's not mandatory everywhere.

Yet.
At this time, it is mandatory in all interior closed space.

And I tell you, it's a very bad idea, and it'll make things worst in many places.

Went to my favourites bar/restaurants tonight.  Dinner at the first place, just a drink and chatting with the waitress at the other.

I observed the staff working at the first place.  All had evident trouble breathing through the masks, their face red, and you could see the mask moving - a lot - as they tried to take a long breath.  And they were constantly removing their glasses and their masks because they couldn't see anything anymore and because it was way too difficult to breath. At the other place, the waitress told us she'll have to wear a mask from Saturday on and said she had no idea how she'd do it, she tried it before, they all tried it, and it was way too hard to breath with these things in the kitchen, and even in the restaurant when it was warm outside.  Tonight was only 20-22C at most, outside.  When the temp raises to 34-35C + humidex, going at 40C or above, they will suffocate.  Some employees will pass out if they keep their masks on all day.

There are no cases in my area, there haven't been since the 1st death back in March.
In the entire geographical area that extends to the point of Gaspé, I think we have had less than a dozen cases.

So we're lucky.  Because if the bar&restaurants staff in Montreal are constantly fidgetting with their masks&glasses like I saw tonight, touching the masks, their face to remove the sweat, their eyes because they can't handle it anymore, they'll just infect themselves more than they did before.  On top of all respiratory problems people may suffer during days of extreme heat.  During winter, with the heath on, they'll have similar problems as the places get crowded - even with 50% less people, the temperature will rise and in most places the ventilation won't be able to keep up.

I expect a wave of contamination in the next weeks.  Then they'll say they have no choice but to close the bars.  :glare:   Even if most cases are coming from private parties.   :hmm:
It's a stupid move to impose the mask wall to wall in every possible situation to everyone.  Staff in restaurants would be all right with a visor instead of the mask, but no, the mask is now mandatory for everyone.

I pity these poor workers, close to minimum wages, constantly running to satisfy every clients, understaffed because many prefer to stay home and keep their 2000$ a month, it's going to be hell for these poor people. :(

Again, my government think with its ass instead of its head.  First dick move from this government in 2 years of governance.  Ok, second, after that Cirque du Soleil thing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

With a spike in cases (over 100 new cases in a day last week), we might go back to mandatory mask wearing; press conference on this will be today.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2020, 12:27:45 AM
With a spike in cases (over 100 new cases in a day last week), we might go back to mandatory mask wearing; press conference on this will be today.
I am in a hotel in Tyrol this weekend and none of the guests wears masks or disinfects hands before going to the open buffet.  :huh:

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on July 18, 2020, 02:19:17 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2020, 12:27:45 AM
I am in a hotel in Tyrol this weekend and none of the guests wears masks or disinfects hands before going to the open buffet.  :huh:

I'm not surprised. Joe Average is "over" Covid at this point. If you look at news sites it's dropped from top billing. On the sites of the papers with highest circulation (Kronenzeitung, Heute, Oe24) you often have to scroll a fair bit for Corona updates (though Krone seems to have woken up again ...). A lot of people don't seem to give a fuck anymore. Which is why I think appeals to the "responsible citizen" are in vain in this case.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

We got some Dutch contractors at the plant. When they arrived one asked me why I was wearing mask and shield.

When I told him we should have on average 2 infected per shift at work he seemed quite shocked.

Duque de Bragança

Mask use mandatory in all indoor places starting from August 1st. In Mayenne, near Brittany and Normandy, mandatory already due to an active cluster.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 18, 2020, 05:45:51 AM
Mask use mandatory in all indoor places starting from August 1st. In Mayenne, near Brittany and Normandy, mandatory already due to an active cluster.

I may just be an ornery American, but I'll be damned if they're gonna make me wear a mask at home.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2020, 12:09:10 AM

Yet.

And I tell you, it's a very bad idea, and it'll make things worst in many places.

Went to my favourites bar/restaurants tonight.  Dinner at the first place, just a drink and chatting with the waitress at the other.

I observed the staff working at the first place.  All had evident trouble breathing through the masks, their face red, and you could see the mask moving - a lot - as they tried to take a long breath.  And they were constantly removing their glasses and their masks because they couldn't see anything anymore and because it was way too difficult to breath. At the other place, the waitress told us she'll have to wear a mask from Saturday on and said she had no idea how she'd do it, she tried it before, they all tried it, and it was way too hard to breath with these things in the kitchen, and even in the restaurant when it was warm outside.  Tonight was only 20-22C at most, outside.  When the temp raises to 34-35C + humidex, going at 40C or above, they will suffocate.  Some employees will pass out if they keep their masks on all day.

There are no cases in my area, there haven't been since the 1st death back in March.
In the entire geographical area that extends to the point of Gaspé, I think we have had less than a dozen cases.

So we're lucky.  Because if the bar&restaurants staff in Montreal are constantly fidgetting with their masks&glasses like I saw tonight, touching the masks, their face to remove the sweat, their eyes because they can't handle it anymore, they'll just infect themselves more than they did before.  On top of all respiratory problems people may suffer during days of extreme heat.  During winter, with the heath on, they'll have similar problems as the places get crowded - even with 50% less people, the temperature will rise and in most places the ventilation won't be able to keep up.

I expect a wave of contamination in the next weeks.  Then they'll say they have no choice but to close the bars.  :glare:   Even if most cases are coming from private parties.   :hmm:
It's a stupid move to impose the mask wall to wall in every possible situation to everyone.  Staff in restaurants would be all right with a visor instead of the mask, but no, the mask is now mandatory for everyone.

I pity these poor workers, close to minimum wages, constantly running to satisfy every clients, understaffed because many prefer to stay home and keep their 2000$ a month, it's going to be hell for these poor people. :(

Again, my government think with its ass instead of its head.  First dick move from this government in 2 years of governance.  Ok, second, after that Cirque du Soleil thing.

There are so many things wrong with this post that I don't know where to start.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on July 18, 2020, 12:09:10 AM

Yet.

Just like how it was impossible to drive with a seat belt, eh?

You say you have no cases, that's going to change. The vacation blitz is starting, tourists will bring it with them & there will be cases.

Restaurant had to double protect, mask & visor, since they were allowed to reopen. I am not surprised to find that region folks were skimping on that. My friend from up north is the same way.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Viper, What the yell kind of masks are they wearing that the can't breathe through them?  They've been mandatory here 2 (?) weeks. It's also been stupidly hot with mid 40s and humidity. I mean they're not fun to wear but breathing isn't an issue.

I agree fogging glasses are a bitch though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2020, 08:39:23 PM
Viper, What the yell kind of masks are they wearing that the can't breathe through them?  They've been mandatory here 2 (?) weeks. It's also been stupidly hot with mid 40s and humidity. I mean they're not fun to wear but breathing isn't an issue.

There are calls to go from voluntary public wearing to mandatory.  I am not sure that is the best idea, but we have had a flair up in Kelowna caused mainly by some Alberta 20 somethings deciding it would be a good idea to party there over the Canada day long weekend.  Not sure what to do about stupid.

Razgovory

Mask wearing up at my local grocery store.  About 60%.  It's a Gerbes and they are run by Kroger's so there is a mandatory mask thing now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 18, 2020, 08:39:23 PM

If you wear your glasses a bit further on your nose, they won't fog while wearing your mask.

I have learned so many mask skills in these past four months.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Camerus

Put a piece of Kleenex under your mask to absorb your breath when you exhale.

Syt

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/07/17/roseville-urination-verizon-arrest/

QuoteWoman Urinates On Floor After Refusing To Leave Verizon Store For Not Wearing Mask

ROSEVILLE (CBS13) — We've seen a lot of confrontations involving masks, including verbal fights, physical altercations and even coughing fits. But this one might top it all when a regular day at work turned into quite a show at the Verizon store off Galleria Boulevard in Roseville.

In a 911 call, you hear a dispatch operator tell an officer three people are "refusing to leave, not wearing a mask... they've asked several times and she refuses."

About three minutes later the operator tells the officer, "They're calling back and advising that that female is pulling down her pants and is now urinating inside the business."

"Absolutely not. That's totally inappropriate. We're not animals," said Michelle Davidson.

Roseville Police got to the scene and confirmed the incident to CBS13. Spokesperson Rob Baquera says officers arrested the woman after finding several stolen items from a nearby Dick's Sporting Goods store in her vehicle.

"I don't really have much to say except that's probably not the right way to react to it. Simply wear the mask or leave I guess," said Kelly Berger.

"I'm very disappointed that we as a society choose to have this unity and let the virus divide us," said Davidson.

Verizon spokesperson Heidi Flato says the company is requiring all customers to wear masks in their stores. Flato told CBS13 the incident wasn't just about the company's mask policy but wouldn't comment further about what happened.

—Stephen Jay Gould