News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you wear a mask in public?

Started by merithyn, July 08, 2020, 08:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you wear a mask when you leave your house?

US - No, what's the point?
US - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
US - Yes, always
ROTW - No, what's the point?
ROTW - Yes, but only inside places or when there are crowds
ROTW - Yes, always
Jaron don't need no mask

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2020, 01:40:49 PM
Did you overhear his rationale?
He said he was tested twice.  Not sure what the context was.  In theory, if he was sick with it at some point, and then tested negative twice after recovering, then as an individual matter it may be okay to not wear a mask.  From a policy perspective, though, witnessing non-compliance encourages further non-compliance, as people who see someone in the store without a mask may not necessarily be up to date on that person's health history.

Tonitrus

The attitude is probably different up here in middle-England than you folks down south.

Went to Tesco's tonight (I usually go to Morrison's, where mask wear is about 10-15%)....no masks seen either among staff or customers.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2020, 01:43:55 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2020, 01:42:32 PM
Is there ever a good one?

Immunity might work.

Would be quite an extraordinary find, first scientifically confirmed case of immunity.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on July 09, 2020, 01:59:42 PM

Immunity might work.

Would be quite an extraordinary find, first scientifically confirmed case of immunity.
We should harvest him! Like a horseshoe crab.
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Immunity might work.

As I understand it, there is no scientific proof that a previous case of COVID means immunity going forward. Yet.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2020, 10:14:02 AM
That's been my experience. It reminds people to back up, or that I am a potential risk to them. At least the ones who understand that my wearing a mask is supposed to be to protect them. (There are, unfortunately, precious few who seem to grasp that concept, though.  :glare: )

This is a good rationale, I shall try it out over the weekend with my newly acquired mask.  See what effect it has, as currently most people especially the young here have now entirely given up on social distancing.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2020, 08:16:54 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 08, 2020, 06:26:41 PM
Quote from: Liep on July 08, 2020, 01:54:05 PM
No, it's not required anywhere and the government has said it's not needed and that it probably won't help.

lolwut?
Same here. There's a weird UK and Nordics thing where we're still getting messages like that - and from the scientific bits of government - that they are really not much use. I don't get it and think they need to be coming out far more strongly for masks like the rest of the world.

Here they're only required if you're on public transport - but it's not always enforced.

I wear a mask if I'm in an enclosed place where I can't socially distance - shops, public transport, cafes etc. I don't wear anything if I'm just walking on the streets.
In my opinion, it should be suggested, but not made mandatory when social distancing is possible.  Mandatory in public transit, migth be a good idea, even if they might no be crowded currently.

But I don't see the use of a mask in a cafe/bar/restaurants.  You'll keep touching your mask, and there's no way everyone will put their mask in a plastic bag, wash their hands, eat/drink, put the mask back on wash their hands, repeat 'til you leave.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on July 09, 2020, 03:57:26 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 09, 2020, 01:57:23 AM

I guess no Swede is ever in a building with anyone else? :bleeding:

As I said, I don't know the particulars. I just trust the guys spending their lives stopping diseases rather than politicians trying to not look bad or journalists trying to create controversy.
But it's the scientist's fault for not mandating a mask in February ;)

(Note: that was the latest Trump's deflection, it's Fauci's fault for not saying to wear a mask early on that there's a spread of infections...)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on July 09, 2020, 08:48:35 AM
Surely whatever risk of infection there is from encountering a stranger at X centimeters of distance, the risk is less if the stranger is wearing a mask?
I hate wearing a mask.  I wish it does not become mandatory as I truly doubt on the real, tangible benefits of the home made cotton mask in reducing the spread of the infection.  If I go to any retail store, including the grocery and the pharmacy, they have a plexigas sheet in front of the counter.  If the sheet does not stop the particles, how would a 1 or 2 layers cotton mask would?

I wash my hands on entering, on exiting, I avoid constantly touching everything, I keep my distance and keep my mouth shut (literrally) when walking close to someone.  I cough and sneeze on my elbow when outside.  I can't see how the mask will reduce the risks of me spreading an infection.

However, if the scientists and the government says to wear one, I will adapt.  I'll order more on-line stuff, have my meds delivered home and only go once or twice a week.
QuoteAnd seeing how the entire world economy let alone countless lives depend on containing this crap, then even a statistically small benefit still worth the trouble?
Yes, but only if it's bothering everyone else :P

viper37

11B4V

People that don't when required, should get a throat punch.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on July 10, 2020, 07:34:53 PM
People that don't when required, should get a throat punch.
that's just as stupid as the other side.

KRonn

I wear the mask where required or if I feel it's needed. Mostly inside and around people in more crowded places. Governor's executive order and most stores require it.