JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

It's okay to debate and discuss.  What is not okay is creating an environment where contrary statements on certain subjects can't even be brought up, because bringing them up will get you canceled.  Not only is it wrong for idealistic reasons, but it's also just idiotic from a pragmatic perspective:  you can't solve problems that you can't honestly brainstorm.  It's also bad politically, because self-censorship builds resentment, and resentment builds fascism.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2020, 01:07:48 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2020, 12:06:58 PM
What is it you wanted to say that you are being prevented from saying?

In the United States? Nothing. I do, however, support the rights of apostates and malcontents in Muslim majority countries though, and they do have serious problems being heard (though less now with the internet). I also slightly resent the tendency of conservative Muslims in western countries to present themselves as speaking for the entire community, but then conservative Christians do the same shit. That probably cannot be helped, that is just how those things tend to work.
Like Republicans speaking for the right, or the likes of AOC speaking for the left.

The silent majority is always ignored. :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2020, 07:09:12 PM
Is thinking or talking critically of something the same as intolerance?
Not at all.

Blacks are an inferior species is intolerance.  There is no debate, you are making a baseless affirmation that is as easily disproven as the flat earth theory.

People who menstruate are women is not intolerance. Just as if I was saying "people who speak French in Canada" meaning French Canadians.  There are other people than French Canadians who speak french, so if I use the term "French canadians" everyone knows who I'm talking about, and if you are french speaker in Canada who does not identify as French Canadian and you are offended by this, we, as a society, should not bend over this all the way to avoid offending you.  Some people are trying on purpose to be offended and they should be disregarded.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 05:39:13 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 10, 2020, 05:36:10 PM
Doesn't sound like a paradox to me. Sounds like a contradiction.
Hard to have a paradox without contradiction.

A paradox only appears to be a contradiction, it isn't an actual contradiction.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Btw DG, were you spoofing someone when you talked about salary negotiations earlier? :)

Solmyr

Freedom of speech is freedom to say anything you want without being censored in advance. It is not freedom from having to suffer consequences, including social or legal ones, of said speech.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 08:18:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2020, 07:51:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 07:06:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2020, 06:52:06 PM
The intolerance of intolerance is what tonitrus was complaining about.
The intolerance here refers to intolerance of speech, not a class of wrong opinion regarded as intolerant in some way.

"Yeah, well the political campaign to throw Jews into ovens seems to won over most Americans, but at they still let us complain about it."
I don't know what point you were trying to make, but I would hazard a guess that whatever it was, it was not made well.

Wrong intolerant opinions became wrong intolerant policy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on August 11, 2020, 04:03:56 AM
Freedom of speech is freedom to say anything you want without being censored in advance. It is not freedom from having to suffer consequences, including social or legal ones, of said speech.

True. But that does not make all consequences right.

Sheilbh

Not sure if this is super-relevant but an interesting podcast with Jacob Levy on his book which is around the (possibly irreconcilable) tension between rationalism and pluralism within liberalism:
https://www.libertarianism.org/media/free-thoughts/rationalism-pluralism-freedom
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2020, 07:11:07 AM

True. But that does not make all consequences right.

Yes. A bullet in the head for saying the wrong thing - bad.
Being fired for saying the wrong thing and refusing to apologise - good business sense.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2020, 07:26:08 AM
Not sure if this is super-relevant but an interesting podcast with Jacob Levy on his book which is around the (possibly irreconcilable) tension between rationalism and pluralism within liberalism:
https://www.libertarianism.org/media/free-thoughts/rationalism-pluralism-freedom

Executive summary?

The Brain

"He is doing something I don't like, so I will escalate until he stops doing it" is a horrible way to do human interaction in a society.

DGuller

That's a 1984 definition of freedom.  When the "consequences" of exercising freedom are prohibitive, you really do not have freedom.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2020, 08:05:09 AM
Executive summary?
There's a tension between rationalism (which is about protecting the rights of the individual and may enhance the powers of the state to do so at the expense of intermediate societies, like universities, churches, mosques, states, the old corporate bodies) v pluralism (which is about protecting the right to free association/self-governance who may oppress the individual, the intermediary bodies). And this actually runs through the liberal tradition, both in libertarian and more egalitarian liberal views.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

for the majority of the populace the result of that is just as much a destruction of freedom of speech as if the censorship came beforehand.