JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on August 07, 2020, 02:48:44 PM
Maybe not in the demographic watched by CNN, but in a worldwide context, I am fairly certain the number of women who have no idea what a cervix is are WAY higher than those women who know but don't have one and would be confused if heard cervix and women in the same sentence.

Well, duh!  :lol:  Most "individuals with a cervix" "in a worldwide context" don't speak English, so no wonder they don't know what a "cervix" is!  That's got nothing to do with the topic, of course.  The whole argument that "individuals with a cervix" is a contentious word but "women" is not strikes me as completely daft.  In fact, it strikes me as "mansplaining" though I once swore a solemn oath that i'd never use that loathsome term.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 07, 2020, 07:19:22 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 07, 2020, 01:39:10 PM
the transphobes

Why do the sexual variations get phobe added to them but the races and genders don't?
Because "homosexualist" suggests something quite different :P
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2020, 07:35:58 PM
the transphobes

Why do the sexual variations get phobe added to them but the races and genders don't?
Because "homosexualist" suggests something quite different :P

I don't know why, but to me that sounds like someone who collects and studies homosexuals.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

merithyn

the transphobes

I always assumed that it's something to do with the belief that discrimination against sexual variations is based in fear. Afraid of being treated by a man the way that most men treat women. The fear of being less than a man by being perceived as feminine. Afraid of that "variation" rubbing off, etc.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on August 07, 2020, 07:30:29 PM
In fact, it strikes me as "mansplaining" though I once swore a solemn oath that i'd never use that loathsome term.

But maybe now you know where it comes from and why. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tonitrus

the transphobes

Sexual variations and....Islam. :hmm: 

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Solmyr

Tonitrus

Sheilbh

Quote from: HVC on August 07, 2020, 08:50:34 PM
I don't know why, but to me that sounds like someone who collects and studies homosexuals.
I've only ever heard it to mean gay "they're practicing homosexualist" - I think it's from Gore Vidal.

Similarly Islamist carries differnt connotations.

So in both cases adding -ist/-ism doesn't work and you need an alternative.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2020, 06:41:17 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 07, 2020, 08:50:34 PM
I've only ever heard it to mean gay "they're practicing homosexualist" - I think it's from Gore Vidal.

Similarly Islamist carries differnt connotations.

So in both cases adding -ist/-ism doesn't work and you need an alternative.

:secret:
There is always mis(o)-, or even anti, just in case.