JK Rowling reveals she is survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault

Started by garbon, June 11, 2020, 07:30:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2020, 12:06:58 PM
What is it you wanted to say that you are being prevented from saying?

In the United States? Nothing. I do, however, support the rights of apostates and malcontents in Muslim majority countries though, and they do have serious problems being heard (though less now with the internet). I also slightly resent the tendency of conservative Muslims in western countries to present themselves as speaking for the entire community, but then conservative Christians do the same shit. That probably cannot be helped, that is just how those things tend to work.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2020, 01:00:31 PM
What is the alternative?
Treating freedom of speech as a concept necessary for a free society, not as a narrowly defined constitutional protection.  Being more intolerant of suppression of speech than of wrongthink.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 02:18:58 PM
What is the alternative?
Treating freedom of speech as a concept necessary for a free society, not as a narrowly defined constitutional protection.  Being more intolerant of suppression of speech than of wrongthink.

I can see a problem here.  "We must self-censor our speech or other people will self-censor due to our reaction to their speech.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2020, 05:22:34 PM
What is the alternative?

I can see a problem here.  "We must self-censor our speech or other people will self-censor due to our reaction to their speech.
Such is the paradox of tolerance.  In order to truly be tolerant you have to be extremely intolerant of intolerance.  The key thing is that it is the one and only thing you can and should be intolerant of.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 05:29:26 PM
What is the alternative?

Such is the paradox of tolerance.  In order to truly be tolerant you have to be extremely intolerant of intolerance.  The key thing is that it is the one and only thing you can and should be intolerant of.

Doesn't sound like a paradox to me. Sounds like a contradiction.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on August 10, 2020, 05:36:10 PM
Doesn't sound like a paradox to me. Sounds like a contradiction.
Hard to have a paradox without contradiction.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 05:29:26 PM
What is the alternative?

The intolerance of intolerance is what tonitrus was complaining about.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2020, 06:52:06 PM
The intolerance here refers to intolerance of speech, not a class of wrong opinion regarded as intolerant in some way.

Valmy

Is thinking or talking critically of something the same as intolerance?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2020, 07:09:12 PM
Depends on the subject.  If there is a clearly correct opinion on the subject and a clearly wrong opinion, then talking critically about any aspect related to the correct opinion is intolerant.  Thinking critically is fine, as long as you keep these thoughts to yourself.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 07:06:23 PM
The intolerance here refers to intolerance of speech, not a class of wrong opinion regarded as intolerant in some way.

"Yeah, well the political campaign to throw Jews into ovens seems to won over most Americans, but at they still let us complain about it."

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2020, 07:51:34 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 07:06:23 PM

"Yeah, well the political campaign to throw Jews into ovens seems to won over most Americans, but at they still let us complain about it."
I don't know what point you were trying to make, but I would hazard a guess that whatever it was, it was not made well.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2020, 07:19:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2020, 07:09:12 PM
Depends on the subject.  If there is a clearly correct opinion on the subject and a clearly wrong opinion, then talking critically about any aspect related to the correct opinion is intolerant.  Thinking critically is fine, as long as you keep these thoughts to yourself.

Ok, this post seems like satire, while following the same line as your other posts. :yeahright:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?