News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Lockdown Projects

Started by Sheilbh, April 01, 2020, 05:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Just finished Thucydides, he was decent. Going to re-read the Gospels and Paul's epistles now that I've got the proper historical context to read between the lines and then finally dive into the 5th century Christological debates because why the hell not. :hmm: After that I'm going to tear through the Icelandic sagas, maybe study Old English in the process. Now's probably a great time to sink your teeth into all the Western heavyweights you always promised yourself you'd get around to. Augustine, Origen, Aquinas, Dante. Feel free to add suggestions.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

I started in on Cervantes but goddamn those sentences are long.

Maladict

I'm still working more or less fulltime, but in an effort to limit screen time:
- 98 unread books
- 5 unbuilt model kits
- hundreds to photo negatives to be digitized
- Several board games to be mastered
- Try my hand at drawing
- Duolingo
- keep some kind of workout regime going
- if all else fails, taxes and/or death

Valmy

I am still working fulltime and have three kids. Sometimes I feel kind of frustrated that I am staying home so much yet am not getting many projects done, but then when I think about it it isn't too surprising.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

This is kind of the same routine for me. Retired and working part time mornings 5 to 6 hours, usually three days a week. Working from home it's the same thing, just no commute. :) So I have plenty of free time anyways. That said, I do more cleaning around the house and will be starting my garden soon though it'll be much smaller than last year.

Tamas

One thing I am noticing is the time I normally lose to commuting, which was about one hour each way. I am getting more free time and more sleep. It is quite nice, and I will definitely miss that if I survive the pandemic and have to go back to regular working.

fromtia

I've been doing a lot of yardwork, something I enjoy, but is usually too time consuming to give so much attention to. Cooking a lot of stews and soups from scratch and baking. I've been giving parts of the house the Marie Kondo treatment. I've been drawing and I thought I might catch up on reading books.

I own an old truck that can get detailed and have some rust spots sanded off and repainted.

Daily exercise has become even more important than usual as I'm starting to get cabin fever.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

The Minsky Moment

If I had the time, I'd definitely be doing language study -working on French and German.  Unfortunately I don't - still have some client work to do (knock wood) plus running a school system out of my house.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on April 01, 2020, 05:15:42 AM
I am still working, just from home, so that's plenty.

Same. Otherwise, I've been "catching up" on some of my old Steam games that I never got around to playing. Banner Saga 2 was completed last week--this week is Banner Saga 3.

After that, no clue.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

I was kinda looking forward to a little lockdown leasure, but work is as busy as ever. Turns out I ninety-nine percent of what I do for work, I can do at home. Also turns out that medical regulatory stuff is in demand. 😉

If I had the time, I'd like to do lots of work on my playing card project.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2020, 07:41:38 AM
I started in on Cervantes but goddamn those sentences are long.

English translation?

Literary Spanish tends towards long sentences and Cervantes certainly was fond of that.

PDH

Since I am an essential worker, I have to be creative to be bored at the same level as the shut ins.  When I get home each day I take a shower and immediately sit around in my PJs saying "There's nothing to do" until my wife gives me a glass of wine.  Then I go stand at a window and complain about all the people who are out and about.  I had 20 birdwatchers sent to prison last week.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2020, 10:51:51 AM
English translation?

Literary Spanish tends towards long sentences and Cervantes certainly was fond of that.

English.  It takes me 15 minutes to get through one sentence as is.

To repeat my favorite Henry Kissinger quote, "Senator, you know that in one minute I don't even get to the verb."

Crazy_Ivan80

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2020, 10:54:31 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 01, 2020, 10:51:51 AM
English translation?

English.  It takes me 15 minutes to get through one sentence as is.

To repeat my favorite Henry Kissinger quote, "Senator, you know that in one minute I don't even get to the verb."

So loud, in fact, were the shouts of Don Quixote, that the landlord opening the gate of the inn in all haste, came out in dismay, and ran to see who was uttering such cries, and those who were outside joined him. Maritornes, who had been by this time roused up by the same outcry, suspecting what it was, ran to the loft and, without anyone seeing her, untied the halter by which Don Quixote was suspended, and down he came to the ground in the sight of the landlord and the travellers, who approaching asked him what was the matter with him that he shouted so. He without replying a word took the rope off his wrist, and rising to his feet leaped upon Rocinante, braced his buckler on his arm, put his lance in rest, and making a considerable circuit of the plain came back at a half-gallop exclaiming:

"Whoever shall say that I have been enchanted with just cause, provided my lady the Princess Micomicona grants me permission to do so, I give him the lie, challenge him and defy him to single combat."

Doesn't seem so bad. But then again, German has (or at least had) a tendency towards long sentences, so I might be accustomed to it. :P Compare also Mark Twain's famous rant, "The Awful German Language": https://www.cs.utah.edu/~gback/awfgrmlg.html

(Though his sentences are not exactly short, either:

An average sentence, in a German newspaper, is a sublime and impressive curiosity; it occupies a quarter of a column; it contains all the ten parts of speech -- not in regular order, but mixed; it is built mainly of compound words constructed by the writer on the spot, and not to be found in any dictionary -- six or seven words compacted into one, without joint or seam -- that is, without hyphens; it treats of fourteen or fifteen different subjects, each inclosed in a parenthesis of its own, with here and there extra parentheses which reinclose three or four of the minor parentheses, making pens within pens: finally, all the parentheses and reparentheses are massed together between a couple of king-parentheses, one of which is placed in the first line of the majestic sentence and the other in the middle of the last line of it -- after which comes the VERB, and you find out for the first time what the man has been talking about; and after the verb -- merely by way of ornament, as far as I can make out -- the writer shovels in "haben sind gewesen gehabt haben geworden sein," or words to that effect, and the monument is finished.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.