Freedom of Expression in Academia and Employment - formerly the Trans Issues.

Started by mongers, January 26, 2020, 10:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I think the insistence on pronoun is a little akin to people with PhDs who insist on being addressed as doctor so and so.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2020, 10:17:31 AM
I think the insistence on pronoun is a little akin to people with PhDs who insist on being addressed as doctor so and so.

Ehhh ish.
It's like a doctor being annoyed if you call him mister Smith. But feel free to just call him John.
██████
██████
██████

Solmyr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2020, 10:17:31 AM

:huh:

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 28, 2020, 10:26:51 AM
Ehhh ish.
It's like a doctor being annoyed if you call him mister Smith. But feel free to just call him John.

Except that we have an existing social convention that you address medical doctors as doctor so and so. 

The Brain

If a doctor expects to be called doctor outside of his professional life then he's a pompous weirdo. Obviously I know about professional women, but many women are not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2020, 10:48:43 AM
Quote from: Tyr on January 28, 2020, 10:26:51 AM
Ehhh ish.

Except that we have an existing social convention that you address medical doctors as doctor so and so.

It would be very odd for me to call my friends in that profession doctor.  I use their first name.  It would also be very odd for me to call a doctor who identifies as male as she.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 28, 2020, 10:46:59 AM
I think this is an anglo world issue.

How does the French language deal with pronouns?

edit, or I should say, this pronoun issue.

Tamas

QuoteWhile "let's just ignore gender" is occasionally offered as a solution, it's really not a good one. Many people actually do want to have a gender (including "other") as part of their identity, it just may not be the same gender as they were assigned at birth. To ignore it is basically the same argument as "I don't see race" - sure, but that's not how the world works.

That they want their own special thing does not sound like a proper argument for me.

Fighting to make sure a born male doesn't get discriminated just because he wears what is considered women's clothing/hairstyle/mannerism is perfectly worthwhile.

Fighting to make sure we have properly defined drawers and division lines in society to accommodate everyone's personal wishes is not worthwhile, and in fact counterproductive, and divisive.

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 28, 2020, 11:18:47 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 28, 2020, 10:46:59 AM
I think this is an anglo world issue.

How does the French language deal with pronouns?

edit, or I should say, this pronoun issue.

In French, everything has a gender, there is no neutral. Somethings are ambiguous wether they are feminin or masculin. Doesn't seems a big deal to change from one to the other for a person. A neutral person pronom has been created for non-binary persons but I know no francophone non-bionary.

Valmy

Also in french possessive adjectives also use the gender of the thing being possessed rather than the possessor so that takes care of a whole bunch of the usual "pronoun" issues we have in English around this issue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 28, 2020, 01:10:08 PM
Also in french possessive adjectives also use the gender of the thing being possessed rather than the possessor so that takes care of a whole bunch of the usual "pronoun" issues we have in English around this issue.

Unless they're talking about "my transgender assistant."  Then they're fucked.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2020, 01:13:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 28, 2020, 01:10:08 PM

Unless they're talking about "my transgender assistant."  Then they're fucked.

:hmm: No.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 28, 2020, 01:54:19 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 28, 2020, 01:52:30 PM
:hmm: No.

Fine, fine.  French Nazi.  How about "my friend, the transgender person."

Person is always feminine. Friend is where you need to pick one or you go masculine & a disclaimer.