Freedom of Expression in Academia and Employment - formerly the Trans Issues.

Started by mongers, January 26, 2020, 10:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on January 27, 2020, 01:31:14 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 27, 2020, 11:33:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on January 27, 2020, 08:34:25 AM
The societal/opinion pressure on this in the UK has already caused a lot of grief to teenagers, as -according to a Guardian article- most therapists are keen to push any teenagers with doubts about their true gender to gender-change medications, as to avoid being labelled intolerant, if they want to discuss the issue with the kid.
There are a lot of steps that need to be taken before any medications are prescribed almost anywhere but especially the UK.  Numerous tiers of meetings with psychologists, meeting with doctors, and more.  This is after making one's way through the incredibly long wait list that exists to even start the process.  Nothing is being "pushed" on people.  The grief for trans teens is often the hurdles they face and hoops they must jump through to obtain the help they need and seek.  That help may upset TERFs and family, but the person whose opinion should matter the most is the individual seeking help.  Also, teens are given puberty blockers which aren't "gender-change medication", but simply delay the onset of their assigned at birth puberty.  They can cease to be taken and the normal puberty of the person's assigned at birth gender will occur.  It allows for people to have more time to decide what the right course of action is for them without the dramatic changes that puberty brings to the body.

Yeah, I'm surprised to hear this from Tamas. I can't imagine that anyone with any experience with the NHS would make a remark that doctors are able to push medications willy nilly at patients.

I read a Guardian article. The same Guardian that has covered in two or three very sympathetic articles the "man" who gave birth in the UK. He was born a she, got help to become a he, then decided he still wanted to be a he but he also wanted a kid so he stopped with the medications so he could be a bit of a she and got pregnant, got artificially inseminated, gave birth, and now a he-he again.

So the same magazine that is totally supportive of such a clear case of insanity, had an article on how a lot of psychologists are remorseful about pushing teens toward hormone medication without properly talking it through with them first, due to fear of being labelled a bigot.

Sorry for taking the article at face value.

Sophie Scholl

...or a trans man wanted to have a child, realized current medical technology hasn't reached a point where he can do so as a man and instead had to do so as his sex assigned at birth.  He stopped taking Testosterone to allow his body to better give birth, and then resumed the medication that aids him to better access and present his gender identity.  There is no insanity involved but there is some nastiness in declaring it as such because you don't understand it, "man".
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on January 27, 2020, 01:48:53 PM
I am not please with my name being associated with this - it is very much NOT AT ALL what I was talking about.

Maybe it's not you but a Asian Eagle?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on January 27, 2020, 01:48:53 PM
I am not please with my name being associated with this - it is very much NOT AT ALL what I was talking about.
I was curious what "you were talking about" to produce this topic but couldn't find anything.  Care to elaborate on what happened/your opinion?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Berkut has always been a spirited defender of freedom of expression.  This case has nothing to do with that issue.  In fact the Tribunal found that if her expressive rights have been in question she would have had a case.

The Minsky Moment

The UK law does permit cases to proceed on the basis of "philosophical belief" - but only if "worthy of respect in a democratic society . . ." etc. So the UK legal regime inevitably involves the state making value judgments about philosophical principles. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Well Britain isn't exactly known for its liberties.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 27, 2020, 03:00:16 PM
The UK law does permit cases to proceed on the basis of "philosophical belief" - but only if "worthy of respect in a democratic society . . ." etc. So the UK legal regime inevitably involves the state making value judgments about philosophical principles.

The tribunal was saying nothing more than one cannot found a discrimination complaint on an employer being concerned the employee would not comply with the law - she expressly said she would not. 

chipwich

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2020, 03:25:41 PM

The tribunal was saying nothing more than one cannot found a discrimination complaint on an employer being concerned the employee would not comply with the law - she expressly said she would not.

The tribunal said more than that you dirty liar.

Sheilbh

Yeah. It's one of the criteria of whether or not something is treated as a philosophical belief (which can be a protected category) or not.

It's not easy but the Equalities Act basically tries to protect religion, or absence of religion as protected categories as well as other philosophical beliefs on an equal basis for the purposes of certain legislation. But that gets into the tricky territory of what is a philosophical belief that protects, say, Humanists but not Jedi or philosophical racists.

So the court's answer at the minute is: the belief must be genuinely held; it must be a belief and not an opinion or viewpoint based on the present state of information available; it must be a belief as to a weighty and substantial aspect of human life and behaviour; it must attain a certain level of cogency, seriousness, cohesion and importance; and it must be worthy of respect in a democratic society, not be incompatible with human dignity and not conflict with the fundamental rights of others.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 27, 2020, 02:34:56 PM
...or a trans man wanted to have a child, realized current medical technology hasn't reached a point where he can do so as a man and instead had to do so as his sex assigned at birth.  He stopped taking Testosterone to allow his body to better give birth, and then resumed the medication that aids him to better access and present his gender identity.  There is no insanity involved but there is some nastiness in declaring it as such because you don't understand it, "man".

I guess my mistake came from having obsolete assumptions on the ability of bearing a child being strictly in the domain of female identity, and therefore I could not understand how a male would both be wanting to be a male AND utilise the womb he was born with but not before he turned from a she to he AND be considered mentally sound.

My bad.

chipwich

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2020, 03:34:12 PM

So the court's answer at the minute is: the belief must be genuinely held; it must be a belief and not an opinion or viewpoint based on the present state of information available; it must be a belief as to a weighty and substantial aspect of human life and behaviour; it must attain a certain level of cogency, seriousness, cohesion and importance; and it must be worthy of respect in a democratic society, not be incompatible with human dignity and not conflict with the fundamental rights of others.

What is the court's standards against which these value judgments are to be held? Does the court also have the power to determine what is unworthy of respect in a non-democratic society.

The Minsky Moment

The US regime avoids certain problems by being formally value neutral but at the cost having to deal with recognition problems like "what is a religion" - thus Scientology or Moonies can count but not Neoplatonists, Kantians, or Objectivists.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I don't understand the difference between a belief and an opinion.

Is there such a thing as a philosophy that doesn't conflict with a fundamental right of someone, somewhere?

I understand how hard it is to adjudicate all human interaction but that code is a horror show.

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 27, 2020, 02:41:30 PM
Berkut has always been a spirited defender of freedom of expression.  This case has nothing to do with that issue.  In fact the Tribunal found that if her expressive rights have been in question she would have had a case.

I've also always been very pro-free speech, and now that the court's ruling has been explained to me I would say that wouldn't have been a freedom of speech case even in the U.S.--the First Amendment protects against government action, not the actions of private employers.