News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Trek Picard and Strange New Worlds

Started by Josephus, January 23, 2020, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Is Star Trek Discovery on schedule, or has COVID delayed it?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 20, 2020, 04:11:25 PM

Apparently filming wrapped up in February.  So as long as they can do all the post-production special effects at home (which might be a big if), we should get it later this year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2020, 04:25:55 PM
Quote from: Josephus on April 20, 2020, 04:11:25 PM

Apparently filming wrapped up in February.  So as long as they can do all the post-production special effects at home (which might be a big if), we should get it later this year.

It can be done. One of the shows I worked for has been doing postproduction remotely.

Issue might be if they needed to do reshoots. Which is unusual in tv shows (as opposed to movies), but it might be different with these big budget shows.

Josephus

I don't know. I know they had to delay the last episode of Walking Dead, even though it was filmed.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Syt

Garrett Wang and Robert Duncan McNeill have started a new podcast series where they revcap/reminisce/review every episode of Star Trek Voyager: https://the-delta-flyers.captivate.fm/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Interesting. I just watched the first ep of voyager and was giving thought to a watch through or at least watching the highlights
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Renegade Cut - "Star Trek: Generations is Good, Actually"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPLSk4kGwY

"Star Trek fans - sometimes - view their favorite franchise not within the contecxt of any of these academic theories, or even view the franchise as film critics often do, as a judgment on its craft. Star Trek fans often view Star Trek, and judge Star Trek exclusively how it relates to Star Trek, more specifically: to Star Trek canon."

Seems applicable to MANY franchises (including Star Wars)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

New Star Trek coming.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/star-trek-series-anson-mount-ethan-peck-rebecca-romijn-cbs-all-access-1234607259/

Quote'Star Trek' Series Starring Ethan Peck as Spock, Anson Mount as Capt. Pike Set at CBS All Access

CBS All Access is bringing back some fan-favorite characters for a another brand new "Star Trek" series.

The streamer has given a series order to "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds" starring Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. The series will follow Pike, Spock, and Number One in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

The trio of characters were first introduced into revamped CBS "Star Trek" universe in Season 2 of "Star Trek: Discovery." All three received praise for their performances, with fans quickly clamoring for a spinoff. They were also featured in the first episode of Season 2 of "Star Trek: Short Treks."

"Fans fell in love with Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn and Ethan Peck's portrayals of these iconic characters when they were first introduced on 'Star Trek: Discovery' last season," said Julie McNamara, executive vice president and head of programming at CBS All Access. "This new series will be a perfect complement to the franchise, bringing a whole new perspective and series of adventures to 'Star Trek.'"

The series premiere was written by Akiva Goldsman with the story by Goldsman, Alex Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet. Goldsman, Kurtzman and Lumet will serve as executive producers along with Henry Alonso Myers, Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth. Aaron Baiers, Akela Cooper and Davy Perez will serve as co-executive producers. The series will be produced by CBS Television Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment.

"This is a dream come true, literally," said  Goldsman. "I have imagined myself on the bridge of the Enterprise since the early 1970s. I'm honored to be a part of this continuing journey along with Alex, Henry and the fine folks at CBS."

CBS has bet big on "Star Trek" in recent years. Including "Strange New Worlds," there are now five shows in the shared universe on All Access: "Star Trek: Discovery" (Season 3 debuting later this year), "Star Trek: Picard" (Season 1 aired this year, already renewed for Season 2), "Star Trek: Short Treks," and the adult animated series "Star Trek: Lower Decks" (debuting later this year). Nickelodeon is also prepping an animated "Star Trek" kids series. All Access announced last year that it was developing a series centered on Michelle Yeoh's character from "Discovery."

"When we said we heard the fans' outpouring of love for Pike, Number One and Spock when they boarded 'Star Trek: Discovery' last season, we meant it," said Kurtzman. "These iconic characters have a deep history in 'Star Trek' canon, yet so much of their stories have yet to be told. With Akiva and Henry at the helm, the Enterprise, its crew and its fans are in for an extraordinary journey to new frontiers in the 'Star Trek' universe."

It was announced in 2018 that Kurtzman had signed a five-year deal with CBS TV Studios to supervise the expansion of the "Star Trek" television universe. Last year, CBS announced it was launching a "Star Trek" global franchise group to manage new projects like podcasts, new digital spaces, and live experiential events.

I'm fully on board with more Cpt Pike.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Yeah, Anson Mount was great in Discovery. One of the few things I liked from season 2.

I wish they had not given the keys to the Enterprise to Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman for this new era of Trek. They're hacks.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on May 08, 2020, 01:54:47 PM
Renegade Cut - "Star Trek: Generations is Good, Actually"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvPLSk4kGwY

"Star Trek fans - sometimes - view their favorite franchise not within the contecxt of any of these academic theories, or even view the franchise as film critics often do, as a judgment on its craft. Star Trek fans often view Star Trek, and judge Star Trek exclusively how it relates to Star Trek, more specifically: to Star Trek canon."

Seems applicable to MANY franchises (including Star Wars)

Hopefully better than the Renegade Cut of Highlander II. Generations was not as bad as Highlander II obviously, though.  :D

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on May 15, 2020, 11:27:08 AM
Yeah, Anson Mount was great in Discovery. One of the few things I liked from season 2.

I wish they had not given the keys to the Enterprise to Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman for this new era of Trek. They're hacks.

I just hope we get Yeoman Colt back. :P

—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on May 15, 2020, 11:51:05 AM
Quote from: celedhring on May 15, 2020, 11:27:08 AM

I just hope we get Yeoman Colt back. :P

She's probably not as cute these days.
Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Picard kicks Discovery's ass. Thought new episode was great.
Civis Romanus Sum