Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Bit weird - Barnsley's already got a memorial to people who died of covid and to key workers (unveiled today):

Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Gonna be getting my booster shot in 3 weeks.

Josquius

40 something guy I know who got a Pfizer booster found himself wiped out for the weekend.
Guess that means his vaccination had waned?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on November 22, 2021, 03:18:00 PM
40 something guy I know who got a Pfizer booster found himself wiped out for the weekend.
Guess that means his vaccination had waned?

I imagine the opposite - I have heard people who were vaccinated after being infected and they all got knocked out by the vaccine pretty bad. My uncle nearly died of covid during the Spring, ended up in ICU for a while, shortly after getting out his antibody count in his blood was through the roof. But recently his job required vaccination so he had to get the jab. He got REALLY bad for a few days, muscle aches etc.

I'd imagine it's their immune system being well aware of the threat and going Defcon 2 without fluffing about.

Tamas

Will see in a few minutes but i think I messed up my lateral flow test. :P

The bloody instructions showed you this "holder" thing for the sample-collecting funnel, but there was none to be seen in the box. Result - about half of the sample-collecting liquid ended up on my hand, and there was so little left I could barely get any drop of it on the testing device after taking my sample.

Now I'll need to figure out what happens with my Day 2 deadline expiring before I can get a replacement.

garbon

It is thar white cardboard that looks like it is part of the box. It has a hole in it. At least that's how the free NHS ones are.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

So this way my result is officially unclear and I have to get another one or self-isolate for 10 days.

I am supposed to be hopping on a train due to a work thing early Thursday morning so I have ordered another test which should arrive tomorrow.

I mean, I wouldn't mind THAT much having to skip the work event, but skipping it before I messed up my test would be embarrassing. :P

Tamas

I have been feeling slowly but steadily worse/weirder today so I checked my temperature - 37.4C  :ph34r:

Sheilbh

Didn't you get multiple tests in the box if you need to do again?

Whenever I order I get a box of 7.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2021, 10:02:03 AM
Didn't you get multiple tests in the box if you need to do again?

Whenever I order I get a box of 7.

No, this is Operation Moneygrab. You pay £17 and you get a single one.

Sheilbh

WHAT? You can get lateral flow tests for free from the NHS:
https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests

Edit: I think you can also get free tests from most pharmacies. I picked up a pack at Boots.
Let's bomb Russia!

Agelastus

I'd be surprised if any pharmacy doesn't have the tests. I have to take two a week and I've not got any of my boxes from a "big name" pharmacy.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2021, 10:04:05 AM

Edit: I think you can also get free tests from most pharmacies. I picked up a pack at Boots.

Yes I got mine for free from pharmacy. Only not supposed to use for travel abroad - given relaxation on type of test needed for UK on return.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2021, 10:04:05 AM

WTF.

Well this is a government-sanctioned provider of Day 2 tests. Fuckers.

Tamas

On second thought: considering my invalid test result, wouldn't I need somebody authorised to give me a negative certificate? i.e. these guys? The way it works is you send a photo of your ID and the test and then they give you a signed certificate on the result.