Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2020, 10:14:12 AM
Wales is continuing the proud tradition of all of the nations in the union coming up with different names for the same thing. What we've been talking about as a "circuit breaker" lockdown has been announced in Wales, but there it's a "fire break" lockdown :lol:

Not a cynllun gwreiddiol anhygoel i atal coronafirws?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2020, 10:14:12 AM
Wales is continuing the proud tradition of all of the nations in the union coming up with different names for the same thing. What we've been talking about as a "circuit breaker" lockdown has been announced in Wales, but there it's a "fire break" lockdown :lol:

Okay but this time they were first to put into actoon. :contract:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on October 18, 2020, 11:46:52 PM

Many Montrealers do it though. Some Qcers, but the French, African, Lebanese, Armenian, Italian communities all do it.
You guys are weird over there... :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 19, 2020, 08:50:35 AM
Plenty of kissing when meeting friends of the opposite sex here, but that has been verbotten since February, alongside all other kinds of hugging, handsaking, and shit. Meeting anyone is so awkward now.

I was referring to kissing friends of the same sex.  Of course, kissing friends/family members of the opposite sex on the cheek (la bise) is often done.  In normal times.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 19, 2020, 11:16:07 AM
At least you only have four nations.
I thought there were only two in America? The Trumpists, and those other, slightly less obnoxious guys :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on October 19, 2020, 12:45:56 PM
Okay but this time they were first to put into actoon. :contract:
Yeah and I think they're right to do it:)

QuoteI'd have expected a 40-letter long word with more "y"s "l"s and "g"s.
You're quite right - it is, correctly, a "Cyfnod atal byr cenedlaethol y coronafeirws" :) I love Welsh :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

For reasons that are wholly beyond me the government set an arbitrary deadline for Greater Manchester to accept its terms on going into Tier 3 (notice a trend).

I assume this means we're now at war with Greater Manchester :(

Edit: Incidentally this whole thing is kind of extraordinary because it shows the fundamental weakness/issue of the British state in it's modern incarnation. There's no reason the government actually needs local authorities to agree to lockdown, but local authorities are the only bit of government that actually do lots of actual physical public service delivery so the lockdown doesn't work if they don't help. All the decision-making authority is centralised and all of the delivery is highly localised/decentralised.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 20, 2020, 06:23:24 AM
For reasons that are wholly beyond me the government set an arbitrary deadline for Greater Manchester to accept its terms on going into Tier 3 (notice a trend).

I assume this means we're now at war with Greater Manchester :(

Edit: Incidentally this whole thing is kind of extraordinary because it shows the fundamental weakness/issue of the British state in it's modern incarnation. There's no reason the government actually needs local authorities to agree to lockdown, but local authorities are the only bit of government that actually do lots of actual physical public service delivery so the lockdown doesn't work if they don't help. All the decision-making authority is centralised and all of the delivery is highly localised/decentralised.

Good point.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

We will fight them in Stockton, we will fight them in Wigan, we will fight with ever growing confidence and strength in Oldham, we will never surrender until Greater Manchester accepts Tier 3 restrictions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

It is up to the people really; I think they will do whatever they feel is appropriate.

Duque de Bragança

This UK state centralisation seems like a retarded version of jacobinism.
Mind you, the somewhat mixed centralised/regionalised current French version is not working that great.