Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/18/revealed-some-manchester-area-hospitals-already-full

Seems like while the Greater Manchester Area local leaders are (rightly or wrongly I have no idea) block their region going to Tier 3 lockdown (which is strict but no Spring lockdown) until their businesses get a bigger aid package, their hospitals already have 82% of their ICU beds taken (in total, so not all of those are with Covid patients).

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on October 18, 2020, 03:34:31 PM

Nope.  No one has ever done that here, as far as I can tell.  Only the Europeans do that.  I think Belgians do it too.
We shake hands, that's all.  Well, not right now, obviously.  I hope...

I wonder if there will be a permanent change. So far, there's no real alternative, greetings and goodbyes remain fairly awkward affairs.

Zoupa

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2020, 01:32:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 17, 2020, 09:26:54 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2020, 02:18:12 PM

France is among the worst of Europe.
Quebec is the worst of Canada.

Do we have some kind of inherited deficient genes or what??

I always said that kissing everyone business was a bad idea.
We don't do that :)

It's a young generation thing or....?
Always thought Quebecois did that too.
Nope.  No one has ever done that here, as far as I can tell.  Only the Europeans do that.  I think Belgians do it too.
[/quote]

Many Montrealers do it though. Some Qcers, but the French, African, Lebanese, Armenian, Italian communities all do it.

Syt

The federal government is discussing new restrictions with state governments with the expectation that they will be announced today - possibly a mix of federal rules with additional state ones layered on in hard hit areas.

The goal will likely be to try and bring the numbers down drastically in order to try and have a semblance of a Winter/Christmas tourism season in the mountains and Vienna.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Starting Friday, all indoor meetings (outside work) are limited to 6 adults (which doesn't apply to private residences as the Constitutional Court determined earlier this year). Outdoor is limited to 12, with masks.

Public events (sports, opera etc.) are limited to 1,000 indoors and 1,500 outdoors, with appointed seats.

This seems rather toothless, all things considered and not a big step up from what was in effect. :unsure:

EDIT: The exceptions from the rules are:
- schools, universities, etc.
- churches
- swimming pools, fitness studios (except when holding classes/group exercises, those are limited to 6 people)
- work places
- private indoor areas
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

So they are restricting things but not really?

Threviel

I've had a general ache in my muscles for a week or so, I thought it was because I was swimming a lot, it felt just like the muscle ache you get after training.

Last Friday I was told that a colleague of mine was diagnosed with Covid. So today I work from home and I have an appointment for a test in 2 hours or so. My eyes are also slightly runny.

Probably not Covid, but better safe than sorry.

Syt

@Tamas: Basically. The health office has published stats about clusters. 60% of clusters are households, 20% are based around free time activities. Sports, traveling, restaurants, hotels or work are only a small factor.

Most infections do seem to come from joint free time activities, i.e. partying and get-togethers of all sorts. Since a lot of that happens in private locations these days, not sure how useful the new measures are.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on October 18, 2020, 04:48:14 PM

I wonder if there will be a permanent change. So far, there's no real alternative, greetings and goodbyes remain fairly awkward affairs.

A wave and "I'm off to bed. See you later" works for me.
Always hated the Swiss thing of going round each and every person with a kiss and a "goodbye maude" "goodbye muriel" "goodbye sadaam"
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2020, 01:32:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on October 17, 2020, 09:26:54 PM
Quote from: Tyr on October 16, 2020, 02:18:12 PM

France is among the worst of Europe.
Quebec is the worst of Canada.

Do we have some kind of inherited deficient genes or what??

I always said that kissing everyone business was a bad idea.
We don't do that :)

It's a young generation thing or....?
Always thought Quebecois did that too.

You don't kiss everyone in France actually. Friends mostly, and much less so between men, except very close ones and close family.

Now that I think of it, Belgians, the ones I know, kiss three or four times, instead of a just two in most of France.  :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2020, 05:02:24 AM
A wave and "I'm off to bed. See you later" works for me.
Always hated the Swiss thing of going round each and every person with a kiss and a "goodbye maude" "goodbye muriel" "goodbye sadaam"
"goodbye johannes boy"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

celedhring

Plenty of kissing when meeting friends of the opposite sex here, but that has been verbotten since February, alongside all other kinds of hugging, handsaking, and shit. Meeting anyone is so awkward now.

Sheilbh

Wales is continuing the proud tradition of all of the nations in the union coming up with different names for the same thing. What we've been talking about as a "circuit breaker" lockdown has been announced in Wales, but there it's a "fire break" lockdown :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2020, 10:14:12 AM
Wales is continuing the proud tradition of all of the nations in the union coming up with different names for the same thing. What we've been talking about as a "circuit breaker" lockdown has been announced in Wales, but there it's a "fire break" lockdown :lol:

Our states do the same shit. Different names for the same thing everywhere.

At least you only have four nations.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 19, 2020, 10:14:12 AM

I'd have expected a 40-letter long word with more "y"s "l"s and "g"s.