Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Record of new cases beaten again in France: 26,896 yesterday.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 11, 2020, 10:32:02 AM
Record of new cases beaten again in France: 26,896 yesterday.
France is among the worst of Europe.
Quebec is the worst of Canada.

Do we have some kind of inherited deficient genes or what?? 

FFS, that thing is spreading like wildfire here and people still can't seem to understand the situation.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 10, 2020, 07:52:47 AM
So, one of the Spanish participants in the Oxford vaccine trial has tested positive  <_<

hopefully, he got the placebo.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on October 10, 2020, 07:52:47 AM
So, one of the Spanish participants in the Oxford vaccine trial has tested positive  <_<

It doesn't mean all is lost. Other vaccines aren't 100% effective on an individual level but still useful for populations.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

viper37

a new study suggests the virus can remain active for up to 28 days on cash and cellphones.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/virus-can-survive-on-phones-and-cash-for-28-days/ar-BB19UNfZ?li=AAggNb9

things just keep getting better.

on the plus side, the virus is quickly destroyed on temperatures of 40c and above, and by uv light.

Tamas

Boris Johnson just said that we have more Covid patients in hospital than when we went into national lockdown on 27 March.  :huh:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 12, 2020, 01:04:01 PM
Boris Johnson just said that we have more Covid patients in hospital than when we went into national lockdown on 27 March.  :huh:
:huh:
https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/healthcare

Obviously those admissions are for infections three weeks ago but that just doesn't seem to be true.

Interesting to see this slide:

It seems the big driver here is the return of universities. I'd point out that British universities asked for a £1-2 billion bailout and were refused which has possibly been a huge part of why they've required students to physically attend (even on courses that have removed to remote-learning). Had they been bailed out you sort of feel they might have stayed remote. The consequence is various lockdown measures that will cost the economy and the treasury tens of billions instead. Between this and the exam results fiasco it feels like, in a crowded field, Gavin Williamson might be the most incompetent minister. He's caused this government a lot of avoidable problems. In a normal government he would have been gone a long time ago.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Maladict

A Dutch woman had the honour of being the first to die after getting infected a second time.

Duque de Bragança

That does not bode well for herd immunity.

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 13, 2020, 05:07:37 AM

She did have a compromised immune system and it's only the first reported case worldwide, but yeah, immunity is not what it's cracked up to be.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 13, 2020, 05:07:37 AM
From what I've read she was infected with a different type of covid and one reported actual case of re-infection after millions of infections in countries with good testing resources isn't the worst news.

But it probably does increase the chance that there won't be one vaccine, instead you'll need a combo and possibly the odd booster?
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

A vaccine combo and a booster would not be the end of the world, except for very compromised immune systems.

Tamas

Hungary has reached a new record of current hospitalisations at 1519. The official peak during Spring was 1027 on 4 May.

It went down to less than a 100 for most of the summer,  then started a quick rise from early September, reached 740 on 2 October, had a few days of respite going down to 650 on 5 October, and from there it has been catapulting up in an almost vertical line.

Number of people on machines remained quite constantly very low up until this latest round of dramatic increase since 5 October, now up to 160 (just 41 a week ago). I would assume it has reached the most vulnerable age groups by now. :(

There seems to be little to no governmental appetite to go back to the strict measures of April/May. They are washing their hands using the "national consultancy" they did where they sent out a "questionnaire" with pretend questions on how the pandemic should be handled and where "the people" declared they don't want strict restrictions.  Its the kind of "consultancy" where they used to have questions like "Some people would like to spend tax money on supporting Hungarian families. Others would prefer to raise taxes to give welfare to illegal immigrants. Which one you would prefer?" etc.

Syt

The rumor mill says we might be headed for a "soft lockdown" either Nov 2nd or 16th. Schools and groceries would stay open, but supposedly the government is discussing behind closed doors what else should and shouldn't close.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.