News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 30, 2020, 07:46:08 AM
If we're going to condemn voters making stupid electoral decisions, we could always bring back that literacy requirement idea for voting.
In the age of Twitter and Facebook, maybe illiteracy is what should be required for voting.

Tonitrus

Might as well make ballots with photos...like one our Languish election threads, then we can just vote for the HOTTest.  :sleep:

Threviel

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2020, 04:32:43 AM
ONS report on excess mortality - which confirms UK had the highest:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/articles/comparisonsofallcausemortalitybetweeneuropeancountriesandregions/januarytojune2020

Interesting that most countries seem to be going in a below average mortality direction. Double interesting in the countries that were not very affected by corona. Perhaps this could be a wake-up call with regards to hygien.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Threviel on July 30, 2020, 09:39:21 AM
Interesting that most countries seem to be going in a below average mortality direction. Double interesting in the countries that were not very affected by corona. Perhaps this could be a wake-up call with regards to hygien.
Yes - I also wonder how much accidents have fallen because especially in March-May the roads were very empty.

Edit: Also I don't know how much impact flu has through the year but the flu that we had earlier this year was also quite mild I think, so if that strand was mild and it circulates through the year that could be another factor - were it not for covid we might have been going for a below average year generally?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2020, 09:51:12 AM
Herman Cain died.

RIP

Edit: Oh man I didn't realize he was a Trump guy...well I guess I am slightly less sad now. I thought he was an old school conservative type.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Didn't he catch it at Trump's Tulsa rally? :Embarrass:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 30, 2020, 10:15:32 AM
Didn't he catch it at Trump's Tulsa rally? :Embarrass:

Maybe. It looks like he was generally just not a practitioner of masks or social distancing. Very reckless at his age.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

And inevitably (doomed) Republican House candidate and QAnon booster out there with the conspiracy theories straight away :bleeding:
QuoteAngela Stanton King
@theangiestanton
US House candidate, GA-5
All the celebrities and Democrats catch COVID and magically heal. But Herman Cain is dead! I swear I hate it here. I was right there with him. We were perfectly fine!!! This is WAR!!!
QuoteSince COVID-19 disproportionately impacts Black people can someone explain to me how Herman Cain caught it around a bunch of white people.

And why none of the Democrats at George Floyd's funeral caught it with thousands of black ppl and a dead body that was Covid positive?
QuoteAbout as stupid as y'all saying Covid 19 disproportionately impacts black ppl but Herman Cain caught it around a bunch of white folks. Stop lying to the American people!
Quoterolandsmartin
Hey @theangiestanton. A list of celebrities who have died from coronavirus. https://google.com/amp/s/www.thewrap.com/celebrities-deaths-coronavirus-star-hollywood-notable-stars/amp/
Maybe you'll take down this stupid tweet. Geez. Stop spreading such nonsense if you want to be taken seriously. And wear a damn mask!
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 30, 2020, 07:46:08 AM

If we're going to condemn voters making stupid electoral decisions, we could always bring back that literacy requirement idea for voting.

I be cool with that.
When I became a Canadian citizen, many years ago, we had to do a basic knowledge test. I think something similar for voting would be a good idea.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2020, 10:21:47 AM
And inevitably (doomed) Republican House candidate and QAnon booster out there with the conspiracy theories straight away :bleeding:

What a nut job.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 10:14:43 AMEdit: Oh man I didn't realize he was a Trump guy...well I guess I am slightly less sad now. I thought he was an old school conservative type.

How could you think he was an old school conservative? He entered politics as a tea partier.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 30, 2020, 11:26:47 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 10:14:43 AMEdit: Oh man I didn't realize he was a Trump guy...well I guess I am slightly less sad now. I thought he was an old school conservative type.

How could you think he was an old school conservative? He entered politics as a tea partier.

No he didn't. He entered politics way back in the 1990s and ran for President in 2000. Also he was some kind of big dude in the Fed at some point.

So I thought he was an economics wonk. I obviously missed all the nutty stuff he has done since 2008.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2020, 11:29:09 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 30, 2020, 11:26:47 AM

No he didn't. He entered politics way back in the 1990s and ran for President in 2000. Also he was some kind of big dude in the Fed at some point.

So I thought he was an economics wonk. I obviously missed all the nutty stuff he has done since 2008.

Then you have a weirdly selective input of news if you disregard all his post-2008 career, as I'd say that his peak prominence was during his 2012 presidential campaign, and he was definitely a tea partier by then. :P