News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Quote from: The Brain on May 18, 2020, 09:54:10 AM
So, they can get wet after midnight?

Yes.  :lol:

Although it was younger crowd for the midnight opening. More of a carnival atmosphere. There are limits imposed on how many people can be in the facilities at the same time but like you can see from the picture people in general have been very half-assed about strict social distancing. Enough to give Tamas hypertension.  :lol: ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2020, 05:30:57 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 18, 2020, 05:29:07 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 17, 2020, 10:53:03 PM
Italy will be opened for tourists on June 3rd as per current plan.

I thought it was only for domestic tourism. Will they open borders as well? I was not aware of that.
For Europe at least.
The direction to Italy should be no problem as per their government announcements. Going back to Germany should be okay too. Our foreign ministry plans to stop the general travel warning and will just issue "travel advice" after June 15th. General quarantine without any health indication is not legal here. I am more concerned about potential flight cancellations.

Sheilbh

So I've been impressed with how unified and co-ordinated the four nations have been in their response so far, but I think Sturgeon's been a bit too canny and political about lifting lockdown.

Last week she was saying that Johnson's plans were premature and a disgrace and that "stay alert" was a confusing slogan. The Scottish government have now released their plan to lift lockdown and it is substantively the same as the English plans. And it also appears the new slogan for the Scottish government will be "remain vigilant" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Brain on May 18, 2020, 10:55:19 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2020, 04:58:14 AM
Fascinating interview with the Swedish epidemiologist leading their response:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3cszc1s

Executive summary?

Swedes are anti-social and they failed to firewall care homes appropriately (much like everyone else though).

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on May 18, 2020, 10:58:23 AM

Executive summary?

Swedes are anti-social and they failed to firewall care homes appropriately (much like everyone else though).

Fuck you.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2020, 10:58:54 AM

Executive summary?

bork bork bork

Was thinking about it, but that fruit seemed too low-hanging even for me. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on May 18, 2020, 09:59:33 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 18, 2020, 06:05:18 AM
Well, yeah. It's Italy.

Süd-Tirol ist nicht Italien :angry:

Thanks for the clarification, picture was ambiguous.

Sheilbh

Executive summary?
Sweden failed to protect care homes and that's the cause of the number of mortalities, which is regrettable. The policy has been quite successful in what it set out to do which is controlling the community spread and not overwhelming the healthcare system. They've approached this disease like they would any other pandemic and view it as another pandemic - there's no more chance of us keeping out covid-19 than there is keeping out flu or the common cold. There is no reason to believe that this virus is unique and doesn't produce an immune response (or causes re-infection, he pointed out there are zero confirmed re-infection cases). He estimates about x10 to x20 people will have some immunity in Sweden than Norway or Denmark - so in that sense Sweden is further along the curve. Herd immunity isn't the aim, but that is a side effect the goal is to reduce infection and control the spread.

He's also not convinced that lockdowns will be more effective at saving lives (as I say I think his view is all countries will have to go through the same curve) and there's no evidence lockdowns are effective - see the UK, the Netherlands, Spain etc and other countries who had lockdowns and bad outbreaks/results.

Also some excellent Scandi smugness dimissing the Swedish scientists who have criticised their approach as a minority who are not particularly prominent in their field :lol: He did also say it's not his strategy, there is a lot of consultation with various scientists.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2020, 11:19:04 AM

Executive summary?
Sweden failed to protect care homes and that's the cause of the number of mortalities, which is regrettable. The policy has been quite successful in what it set out to do which is controlling the community spread and not overwhelming the healthcare system. They've approached this disease like they would any other pandemic and view it as another pandemic - there's no more chance of us keeping out covid-19 than there is keeping out flu or the common cold. There is no reason to believe that this virus is unique and doesn't produce an immune response (or causes re-infection, he pointed out there are zero confirmed re-infection cases). He estimates about x10 to x20 people will have some immunity in Sweden than Norway or Denmark - so in that sense Sweden is further along the curve. Herd immunity isn't the aim, but that is a side effect the goal is to reduce infection and control the spread.

He's also not convinced that lockdowns will be more effective at saving lives (as I say I think his view is all countries will have to go through the same curve) and there's no evidence lockdowns are effective - see the UK, the Netherlands, Spain etc and other countries who had lockdowns and bad outbreaks/results.

Also some excellent Scandi smugness dimissing the Swedish scientists who have criticised their approach as a minority who are not particularly prominent in their field :lol: He did also say it's not his strategy, there is a lot of consultation with various scientists.

Thanks. :)

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on May 18, 2020, 10:27:06 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2020, 05:30:57 AM. I am more concerned about potential flight cancellations.

Yeah that's a big thing for me too. I need Alitalia to be fully operational by October.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 18, 2020, 11:19:04 AM

Executive summary?

It sounds good but what would have happened with Italy or Spain if they used this approach? Or the UK? Sure, who knows what will happen long term, but surely these countries would have had more cases with the Swedish approach, and their healthcare systems would have collapsed.

Josquius

Heard an interesting tale of two care homes today.
In my home town theres one care home which has seen 17 deaths (!!) and potentially rising.
Meanwhile in the care home where my cousin's wife works there has been zero cases.
The only difference between the two seems to be that the second one decided to ignore government advice and lock down before it was made official.
██████
██████
██████