Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Glad to see Adele losing weight is only half as important as corona virus.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2020, 10:24:48 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 06, 2020, 05:19:10 PM
BB, I vigorously object to your willingness to confine people to their homes because you assess the risk for them to leave as excessive.

Is anybody actually confined to their homes? I thought you can go outside so long as you practice social distancing :hmm:

Thankfully the governor has overridden the order, but my county "commanded" me to stay in my place of residence and I was only "permitted" to leave "to provide or receive essential services or engage in certain essential activities and work for essential businesses and essential government functions..."

The penalty for disobeying was "fines of up to $1,000 and/or up to 12 months in jail per offense."

http://fultoncountyboh.org/boh/media/attachments/2020/04/01/20.03.31.-fulton-county-boh-administrative-order.pdf

Apparently if I had gone to get a haircut, or visited a family member / friend for a beer, I could have been thrown in jail for a year. Freedom.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on May 07, 2020, 10:50:32 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 06, 2020, 10:24:48 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 06, 2020, 05:19:10 PM
BB, I vigorously object to your willingness to confine people to their homes because you assess the risk for them to leave as excessive.

Is anybody actually confined to their homes? I thought you can go outside so long as you practice social distancing :hmm:

Thankfully the governor has overridden the order, but my county "commanded" me to stay in my place of residence and I was only "permitted" to leave "to provide or receive essential services or engage in certain essential activities and work for essential businesses and essential government functions..."

The penalty for disobeying was "fines of up to $1,000 and/or up to 12 months in jail per offense."

http://fultoncountyboh.org/boh/media/attachments/2020/04/01/20.03.31.-fulton-county-boh-administrative-order.pdf

Apparently if I had gone to get a haircut, or visited a family member / friend for a beer, I could have been thrown in jail for a year. Freedom.

Which makes perfect sense.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Also doesn't "Freedom :rolleyes:" only really work if the policy goal is freedom. It's not :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/05/07/supreme-court-of-texas-orders-release-of-jailed-texas-stylist-shelly-luther/

QuoteSupreme Court Of Texas Orders Release Of Jailed Texas Stylist Shelly Luther

AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) – The Supreme Court of Texas has ordered the release of Dallas salon owner, Shelly Luther, who was jailed for violating executive stay at home orders during the COVID-19 pandemic.

She's currently in isolation and protective custody at the Lew Sterrett Justice Center in Dallas.

The jail is expected to release her Thursday afternoon.

Texas Governor Greg Abbott modified his executive orders and eliminated confinement as a punishment for violating the mandates.

Both Abbott and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton voiced support for Luther on Wednesday.

Paxton  also commended the Supreme Court's decision, saying "The Texas Supreme Court correctly addressed Ms. Luther's excessive punishment and unnecessary jailing. No Texan should face imprisonment for peacefully resisting an order that temporarily closed a lawful business and drastically limited their ability to provide for their family through no fault of their own."

State District Judge Eric Moyé  sentenced Luther to seven days in jail earlier this week on contempt of court charges for disobeying a judge's temporary restraining order prohibiting her from operating her salon.

"Throwing Texans in jail who have had their businesses shut down through no fault of their own is nonsensical, and I will not allow it to happen," Abbott said a day after his ruling.

Now at the center of a national debate, Luther has garnered the support from "Open Texas" and other free speech advocates. The organizer of one of those groups set up a GoFundMe page, which has raised more than $500,000.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Um Abbott you are 100% responsible for that person being thrown in jail  :lol: Now he is acting indignantly at the officers who carried out his orders as having gone too far? Typical.

The rush to placate vocal minorities is rather bizarre.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

The problem is that the social contract is that if you're willing to work, you can eat and have access to housing. So if you order a total lockdown the government will have to tide you over while you bend the curve. But at least 2 languishbrahs here, fromtia and PDH never even got their TrumpBux. Hence the lockdown will naturally just peter out as desperate people try to provide for themselves. Whining about it is pointless. The plumbing is there for say, Boeing and bond markets but it's not working for individuals. :hmm:

This isn't even just a US problem, here it's questionable for how many months the government could go on holding the line. My guess is not that long really.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on May 07, 2020, 01:08:32 PM
The problem is that the social contract is that if you're willing to work, you can eat and have access to housing. So if you order a total lockdown the government will have to tide you over while you bend the curve. But at least 2 languishbrahs here, fromtia and PDH never even got their TrumpBux. Hence the lockdown will naturally just peter out as desperate people try to provide for themselves. Whining about it is pointless. The plumbing is there for say, Boeing and bond markets but it's not working for individuals. :hmm:

This isn't even just a US problem, here it's questionable for how many months the government could go on holding the line. My guess is not that long really.

No I totally get the desperation and what is driving the protestors even if their rhetoric is often nonsensical. It is a total economic disaster. If we had a universal basic income we could have weathered this much better...just saying.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

Interesting chart on the lockdown intensity in various countries.

HisMajestyBOB

Someone needs to check in on Brazil and see if it's still there.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

derspiess

Ohio is opening up restaurants, bars & salons (with restrictions, of course) starting May 15.  I'm sure it'll be fun trying to get a table at anyplace decent :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall