News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I told you, you make sensible points from a totally self-centered position. It won't work in this situation.

Zoupa got sick because of people thinking it wasn't that bad, of course he's going to react to you with fuck you.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2020, 02:39:53 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 04, 2020, 02:31:48 PM
So why are you giving Tim grief for being a week or two premature?

Tim overhypes everything. I've pointed that out to him in the thread, I pointed it out to him at the time, and now I'm pointing it out when there is numerical proof.

To the larger point, 6-8 weeks ago, this is how I see what I was arguing, and how I was received:

-the situation isn't going to be as bad as a lot of you guys are predicting,
-the measures being taken are going to backfire as they need to last for an extended period and people will revolt if they aren't as accommodating as possible,
-this is going to be a primarily urban problem and the "rules" should reflect that.

Right now, on every single of those points I'm being validated.

1- it's going to be bad. You're at 70 k, estimates are at 3k daily deaths in a month. I cannot possibly see how this is "not bad"
2- backfiring how? the couple of hundred mouthbreathers? or the 82% of americans that think the lockdown should continue?
3- of course it urban now, that's where the people are you moron. Do you want NY hikers coming to Georgia?

You're not being validated on any of those points. You're just dense.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2020, 01:44:40 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2020, 11:02:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 03, 2020, 08:18:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 03, 2020, 09:14:32 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 03, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2020, 08:59:26 AM
Trump White House told 3M to stop exporting Ventilators & masks to Canada.

3M is obviously not happy & say it can lead to retaliation.

With allies like this...

I remember the good old days of lend-lease programs.

Honestly the current U.S. adminstration should rot in all of Dante's hells

Few of us Americans here disagree with you.  :(
Only about 48% ;)

He got a 5% boost due to rally around the flag sentiment. Let's see how that number is in a month when unemployment is 20% and the death toll is pushing a 100k (minimum)

So we are now a month and one day after this post, so we can evaluate a Tim projection! :)

Shockingly, we are well short of Tim's minimum death toll of 100k, at 69,116. We need a 45% increase from the current number to get to Tim's minimum.
Afaik, 69,116 deaths is only the number at hospitals.  Dead people at home or at an LTC aren't calculated in this total.

Also, you have a lot of deahts by pneumonia that aren't calculated as covid-19 deaths.

And since at least one State is officially under-reporting deaths due to Covid-19, I'd take these numbers with a pinch of salt.

See one exhibit among others:
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nidhiprakash/coronavirus-update-dead-covid19-doctors-hospitals

We'll see by the end of this, when the pandemic is over and we have the official excess death count.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Ohio tells companies to report employees who don't return to work as state reopens

QuoteOhio will allow companies to report employees who don't return to work when their jobs become available as the state reopens, the state announced Friday.

The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services set up a website for employers to report workers who refuse to come to work and emailed companies about it on Friday. The department's policy indicates if people refuse to go back to work and their jobs are available, they cannot qualify for unemployment benefits.

The email, obtained by Cleveland.com, said, "Ohio law prohibits individuals from receiving unemployment benefits if they refuse to accept offers of suitable work, or quit work, without good cause."

Ohio Department of Job and Family Services director Kimberly Hall told reporters Monday that companies need to be transparent and communicate the steps they are taking to protect workers, according to Cleveland.com.

If there are disagreements, an administrative review board will determine if they can receive unemployment benefits if a reasonable person would feel unsafe coming back to work.

But unemployment attorneys warned Cleveland.com that employees would need to show the required "just cause" for quitting, which would be difficult to prove.

Monday marked the first day that nonessential offices, construction, manufacturing and distribution operations are permitted to reopen. On Friday, elective medical procedures that did not require an overnight stay were allowed to be performed.

Ohio has confirmed at least 20,474 cases, leading to at least 3,809 hospitalizations and 1,056 fatalities, according to the state health department. A total of 1.06 million people in the state have filed unemployment claims in a six-week period.

Good luck down there...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/04/europe/russia-medical-workers-windows-intl/index.html

QuoteThree Russian doctors fall from hospital windows, raising questions amid coronavirus pandemic

[...]

Alexander Shulepov, an ambulance doctor in Voronezh, a city about 320 miles south of Moscow, is in serious condition after falling from a hospital window on Saturday. Local state television, citing regional health officials, said he fell out of second-floor window of the Novousmanskaya hospital, where he worked and was receiving treatment after testing positive for coronavirus.

Shulepov was hospitalized for coronavirus on April 22, the same day he and his colleague Alexander Kosyakin posted a video online saying that Shulepov had been forced to continue working after testing positive for coronavirus.

Kosyakin had previously criticized hospital administration for protective gear shortages on his social media and was questioned by the police for allegedly spreading fake news.

[...]

On May 1, Elena Nepomnyashchaya, the acting head doctor of a hospital in the Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk, died after spending a week in intensive care, the regional department of the Health Ministry said in a statement.

Local TV station TVK Krasnoyarsk reported at the time that Nepomnyashchaya allegedly fell out of a window during a meeting with regional health officials, during which they discussed turning the clinic into a coronavirus facility.

Nepomnyashchaya was reported to have opposed those changes due to the lack of protective gear in the hospital.

[...]

On April 24, Natalya Lebedeva, head of the emergency medical service at Star City, the main training base for Russia's cosmonauts, died in a hospital after a fall.
The hospital within the Federal Biomedical Agency, which says it treated her for suspected coronavirus, released a statement that "a tragic accident" occurred, without elaborating. The hospital did not respond to CNN's request for comment.

In the statement, the hospital said, "She was a true professional in her field, saving human lives every day!"

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on May 04, 2020, 02:55:55 PM
Ohio tells companies to report employees who don't return to work as state reopens

That seems very brash. I guess they are counting on soveriegn immunity from a bunch of wrongful death lawsuits?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

QuoteThe hospital within the Federal Biomedical Agency, which says it treated her for suspected coronavirus, released a statement that "a tragic accident" occurred, without elaborating. The hospital did not respond to CNN's request for comment.

Fell out of a window trying to escape?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2020, 02:54:28 PM
This is disturbing:
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/must-watch-tearful-nurse-blows-whistle-new-york-hospitals-murdering-covid-patients-complete-medical-mismanagement/
On the one hand it wouldn't surprise me, I have heard some horror stories second-hand.  On the other hand, did anyone other than this far right trash blog pick up this story, or even just check basic facts?

The Brain

If the facts are basic, then why would you need to check them?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2020, 08:00:48 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2020, 07:56:04 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 04, 2020, 07:54:14 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on May 04, 2020, 07:52:21 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 04, 2020, 07:46:35 AM
I think a prominently WFH workforce would require more coordinators/middlemen not less.

More? What the Hell for?

Ok, bad wording, not more as per more personnel, but their role can be more important, to keep tabs on things etc.

I agree with that but current middle management (a 50 year old white man) doesn't have the right skills. I do not have a good opinion of middle management, in my experience, it is held by incompetent people.

I'm in middle management. <_<

Same. And like mr fox I sometimes feel like my bosses are incompetent. Plus I have incompetent employees. Stuck in a shit sandwich.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on May 04, 2020, 03:04:03 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 04, 2020, 02:54:28 PM
This is disturbing:
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/05/must-watch-tearful-nurse-blows-whistle-new-york-hospitals-murdering-covid-patients-complete-medical-mismanagement/
On the one hand it wouldn't surprise me, I have heard some horror stories second-hand.  On the other hand, did anyone other than this far right trash blog pick up this story, or even just check basic facts?

I watched all 24 minutes. It's horrifying. She's advocating for black and brown folks. Worth a watch.