Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: The Larch on April 03, 2020, 04:06:28 PM
So apparently Turkey has kept for itself a cargo of Chinese made respirators destined for Spain as the plane stopped in Ankara for refueling...

Yeah similar instances are happening every day now. Our lean "efficient" supply chains have no resilience whatsoever.  :hmm: France just banned the export of isopropyl alcohol for use in hand sanitizer. India is curtailing the exports of many generics to build up it's own national stockpile. Our own health system just managed to secure a good supply of hydroxychloroquine but only because a US based generics maker has an Icelander as a CEO who pulled strings to get in a shipment from their factory in India in a sequence of events that would make a good movie.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

11B4V

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on April 03, 2020, 04:14:42 PM
What I find interesting with the captain is that less than a day prior to being relieved of his command, the Acting Secretary of the Navy (is the Acting title and status just assumed for positions in Trump's administration at this point?) was reassuring people that the captain was in no way going to be reprimanded or relieved of his command. That all changed very rapidly. I can't say for sure that Trump forced his hand, but... we have precedent and a lot of coincidence.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/04/03/navy-captain-relieved-cheering-sailors-send-off-nws-orig.cnn
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Today New York's* coronavirus death toll will exceed the 9/11 death toll of 2.977. It stood at 2,935 yesterday.  :(

* I presume the whole state.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

I don't know if this was posted before (there's more than 50 pages I have not read...)
but here is Chris Cuomo describing his symptoms from Covid-19:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Ph8pKHISI
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on April 03, 2020, 09:14:32 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 03, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2020, 08:59:26 AM
Trump White House told 3M to stop exporting Ventilators & masks to Canada.

3M is obviously not happy & say it can lead to retaliation.

With allies like this...

I remember the good old days of lend-lease programs.

Honestly the current U.S. adminstration should rot in all of Dante's hells

Few of us Americans here disagree with you.  :(
Only about 48% ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: alfred russel on April 03, 2020, 01:43:22 PM
    How many billions are we paying/wasting to have that carrier task force sailing around the Pacific as a deterrent force?
    how much money are you getting from American companies selling their products to free markets in the Pacific?
    It seems that letting the world know the readiness is significantly lowered is a non trivial problem (if you believe the carrier task force is contributing to anything).
    Ok, in all seriousness, let's say you are absolutely right, and no one outside the immediate chain of command and top level White House executive should know the carrier is out of commission due to many sailors being sick.
    [list=a]
    • Do you think that the ennemies of the United States will learn only 3 months from now that the ship is docked in Guam and not moving?
    • Do you think the USS Carrier in question will be able to move out of Guam anytime soon to act as a detterent to bellicose intentions by an ennemy of the US or any kind of destabilizaing force?
    • If it's not able to move for a significant amount of time, since, I believe (in my very limited knowledge of US Navy ships), the sailors on board play a crucial role and while the operations could certainly be done by less people you would not have 100% efficiency of operations with only half your crew availabel and entire zones off limits, do you think no one will notice it, again?  Do you think the families of the sailors who stop receiving news from their sons&daughters won't start asking questions aloud about what's going on?  And therefore, do you think the story will break to the public or will that new police state of yours will quickly act to make sure everyone keeps silent about this?
    • Knowing the story will likely break out one way or another, do you believe seeing sailors, soldiers, aviators, dying or getting extremly ill is worth the price paying for not embarassing the commandant in chief?
    • Knowing the story will likely break out one way or another, do you believe seeing sailors, soldiers, aviators, dying or getting extremly ill is worth the price paying for letting your ennemies know a few days in advance that this ship is unable to move out of Guam for the next few months?
    • Assuming the ennemies of the US and all destabilizing force in the region know that particular carrier is docked and not moving, do you believe they are in any better shape than the US to wage ware or simply use the opportunity to attack US interests?  Like, say, Iran, are they in a position to invade and annex Iraq?  Can Al-Queida and ISIS regroup and push Saudi Arabia totally out of Yemen?  Can North Korea mount an invasion of South Korea?  Can Russia - ah no, sorry, it's a friend of your people now, so it's certainly not acting against your interests - So, I mean, do you think China is about to annex Taiwan?
    • Assuming your previous answer is yes, all of this or some of this will happen, do you believe that your current administration, the people you voted for in the House of Reprensentatives and in the Senate do in any way care enough about that to challenge Trump and push him to intervene?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: viper37 on April 03, 2020, 08:18:21 PM
    Quote from: merithyn on April 03, 2020, 09:14:32 AM
    Quote from: Josephus on April 03, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
    Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2020, 08:59:26 AM
    Trump White House told 3M to stop exporting Ventilators & masks to Canada.

3M is obviously not happy & say it can lead to retaliation.

With allies like this...

I remember the good old days of lend-lease programs.

Honestly the current U.S. adminstration should rot in all of Dante's hells

Few of us Americans here disagree with you.  :(
    Only about 48% ;)

He got a 5% boost due to rally around the flag sentiment. Let's see how that number is in a month when unemployment is 20% and the death toll is pushing a 100k (minimum)
    It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
    Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
    Jet: I see.
    Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
    --------------------------------------------
    1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Still won't drop below 40%, and Republicans won't break with him.
    Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Fate

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 03, 2020, 11:11:59 PM

They broke on Bush and Nixon eventually. Why is Trump special? I guess since they're stuck with him as the Presidential candidate there's an arguement to be made for judges no matter what.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Fate

Let's say we're in the peak of the second COVD-19 wave in November and everyone's staying away from the polls. Dr. Oz has been running ads for the past months on Fox News and Limbaugh selling a wonderpill cocktail of Zinc, vitamin C, and chloroquine so the boomers all think they're invincible. Who knows what turnout could look like in that kind of dark future.

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 03, 2020, 11:45:01 PM
    40% won't cut it in November.

40% in November would be a 1984-style 49-state bloodbath.

(I typed the above, but googled to double-check.  Yup Mondale got 40.6% of the vote)
    Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 03, 2020, 11:11:59 PM
    I agree.  When faced between Trump and Sanders, Republicans will go Trump.

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 03, 2020, 11:45:01 PM
    40% won't cut it in November.
    40% is the solid base.  It won't go down below that.  There's only a 10% gap to cross, and Russia is there to help.  Also, lots of money will flow into the coffers, despite the recession.  Maybe less than before, but more than for the Democrats.

Tamas

Apparently the view that 5G networks are causing the virus is gaining some traction. People in Facebook groups encourage each other to take action and destroy equipment

As with most other medieval-sounding shit, their biggest success so far has been in Birmingham where they managed to burn down a 20 metres mobile network antenna.