And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2020, 01:15:37 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 04, 2020, 11:21:40 AM
Our opposition is also embracing the stupid and won't vote for extending the emergency, which would result in all movement restrictions be completely lifted next Monday  :rolleyes:

I think that at the end they just will abstain, separatists and the far right will vote against it, and the extension will pass with just the votes of the parties in the minority government. But man, I wish I could slap every single member of our political establishment (the government not excepted, they get an extra-hard slap).

Why are the separatists acting insane in this situation? What does the pandemic have to do with separatism?

And the far right I guess have to be in favor of stupid ideas no matter what they are.

It could be said that acting insane is their default position.  :P In the last couple of weeks they've been ranting about how if they had been able to manage the situation on their own without having to follow the central government's lead it'd all be allright by now, and that all the recent deaths are the central government's fault for not letting them do so, or somesuch.

Our far righters are also of the "some people just want to watch the world burn" variety at times, and go with whatever it is that creates more chaos.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2020, 11:02:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 03, 2020, 08:18:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 03, 2020, 09:14:32 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 03, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2020, 08:59:26 AM
Trump White House told 3M to stop exporting Ventilators & masks to Canada.

3M is obviously not happy & say it can lead to retaliation.

With allies like this...

I remember the good old days of lend-lease programs.

Honestly the current U.S. adminstration should rot in all of Dante's hells

Few of us Americans here disagree with you.  :(
Only about 48% ;)

He got a 5% boost due to rally around the flag sentiment. Let's see how that number is in a month when unemployment is 20% and the death toll is pushing a 100k (minimum)

So we are now a month and one day after this post, so we can evaluate a Tim projection! :)

Shockingly, we are well short of Tim's minimum death toll of 100k, at 69,116. We need a 45% increase from the current number to get to Tim's minimum.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

We can also answer his question.  Trump's approval rating is 43% - which is exactly the 5% bump he initially received, and which now has faded away.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2020, 01:34:05 PM
Our opposition is also embracing the stupid and won't vote for extending the emergency, which would result in all movement restrictions be completely lifted next Monday  :rolleyes:

I think that at the end they just will abstain, separatists and the far right will vote against it, and the extension will pass with just the votes of the parties in the minority government. But man, I wish I could slap every single member of our political establishment (the government not excepted, they get an extra-hard slap).

Why are the separatists acting insane in this situation? What does the pandemic have to do with separatism?

And the far right I guess have to be in favor of stupid ideas no matter what they are.

It could be said that acting insane is their default position.  :P In the last couple of weeks they've been ranting about how if they had been able to manage the situation on their own without having to follow the central government's lead it'd all be allright by now, and that all the recent deaths are the central government's fault for not letting them do so, or somesuch.

Our far righters are also of the "some people just want to watch the world burn" variety at times, and go with whatever it is that creates more chaos.

The thing about Catalan separatist parties is that all the non-insane ones jumped ship before the 2017 referendum and ensuing UDI - because that was insane - and the ship is now commanded by the true believers.

At the end of the day, both the separatists and the far right see political instability as a path for attaining their political objectives. Chaos is a ladder, etc.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 04, 2020, 01:50:54 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2020, 01:34:05 PM

The thing about separatists is that all the non-insane ones jumped ship before the 2017 referendum and ensuing UDI - because that was insane - and the ship is now commanded by the true believers.

At the end of the day, both the separatists and the far right see political instability as a path for attaining their political objectives. Chaos is a ladder, etc.

JxCat's attitude doesn't surprise me at all, it's what is expected from them at this point. ERC is the dissapointment for me, as at times they had shown slivers of rationality.

celedhring

Meh, I've never expected much from ERC. They had traditionally been the more radical separatist party until very recently.

Also you'll hear the more rational soundbites from the MPs in Madrid, which have very little power within the party.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on May 04, 2020, 02:01:44 PM
Meh, I've never expected much from ERC. They had traditionally been the more radical separatist party until very recently.

Also you'll hear the more rational soundbites from the MPs in Madrid, which have very little power within the party.

I know, I know, but at least they "play the game" in Madrid, so to speak, and can be worked with, so in a pinch they can ask for stuff in exchange for their support, and actually get things done.

Zoupa

Quote from: alfred russel on May 04, 2020, 01:44:40 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 03, 2020, 11:02:39 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 03, 2020, 08:18:21 PM
Quote from: merithyn on April 03, 2020, 09:14:32 AM
Quote from: Josephus on April 03, 2020, 09:04:04 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2020, 08:59:26 AM
Trump White House told 3M to stop exporting Ventilators & masks to Canada.

3M is obviously not happy & say it can lead to retaliation.

With allies like this...

I remember the good old days of lend-lease programs.

Honestly the current U.S. adminstration should rot in all of Dante's hells

Few of us Americans here disagree with you.  :(
Only about 48% ;)

He got a 5% boost due to rally around the flag sentiment. Let's see how that number is in a month when unemployment is 20% and the death toll is pushing a 100k (minimum)

So we are now a month and one day after this post, so we can evaluate a Tim projection! :)

Shockingly, we are well short of Tim's minimum death toll of 100k, at 69,116. We need a 45% increase from the current number to get to Tim's minimum.

Only you could possibly use 70 000 people dead as a way to win an argument on a forum.

Here Dorsey. You win the prize. Only 70 000 people died. Yay you. Tim was way off! You win.

Syt

Press release of the FPÖ Vienna after 15 person in a home for asylum seekers have been diagnosed with Covid-19 claims scandalous preferential treatment of asylum seekers, because they supposedly get tested immediately whereas Austrians have to wait for weeks and go into quarantine. Also, the case numbers in Vienna are only due to the asylum seekers, and it should be called the Asylantenvirus (asylum seeker virus).  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zoupa on May 04, 2020, 02:07:47 PM
Only you could possibly use 70 000 people dead as a way to win an argument on a forum.

Here Dorsey. You win the prize. Only 70 000 people died. Yay you. Tim was way off! You win.
Also the NYT has a story today that CDC projections are that daily deaths will double in May. It may be way off but I don't get much sense that this has really peaked in the US.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 04, 2020, 01:32:09 PM
Also it has let me discover that the Welsh spelling of coronavirus is coronafeirws :)

Barbarians.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 04, 2020, 02:14:45 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 04, 2020, 02:07:47 PM

Also the NYT has a story today that CDC projections are that daily deaths will double in May. It may be way off but I don't get much sense that this has really peaked in the US.

We are definitely sailing through the 100k threshold.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

So why are you giving Tim grief for being a week or two premature?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on May 04, 2020, 12:42:19 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 04, 2020, 06:01:56 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 04, 2020, 04:55:48 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 04, 2020, 01:33:42 AM
No need to worry if other people wear masks.  Just wear one yourself.

Masks only works if everybody wears one. The kinda masks people wear en masse are meant to protect other people, not the wearer.

For the wearer to be effectively protected, it would need to be N95, have it fit-tested in a hospital, and change it every 3 hours maximum. In short, impossible.

That's not what the local experts are saying.  Even surgical masks confer some protection to the wearer.  In case of infection, the viral load will be lower and the chance of hospitalisation is lower.  What do Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Macau, and Taiwan have in common?  Most people in these places wear surgical masks, and they don't have the nightmarish scenarios of say the UK, Spain and Italy.

Chinese people, like you, won't wear a mask if you knew it was to protect other people. Hence why "experts" lie to you, and says it protects the wearer. It's the only way to get a billion selfish assholes to do something for public health.
I swear I'd just saw someone talking of manhandling somewhere...  :shifty:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 04, 2020, 02:31:48 PM
So why are you giving Tim grief for being a week or two premature?

Tim overhypes everything. I've pointed that out to him in the thread, I pointed it out to him at the time, and now I'm pointing it out when there is numerical proof.

To the larger point, 6-8 weeks ago, this is how I see what I was arguing, and how I was received:

-the situation isn't going to be as bad as a lot of you guys are predicting,
-the measures being taken are going to backfire as they need to last for an extended period and people will revolt if they aren't as accommodating as possible,
-this is going to be a primarily urban problem and the "rules" should reflect that.

Right now, on every single of those points I'm being validated.