News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Barbers and hairdressers are opening up today in Spain. During the last few days you could see that they were doing lots of preparations ahead to comply with requiriments, and all of them are featuring their phone numbers or online forms for booking an appointment, as you can't go without one. My mom tried last week to get one for today but the earliest she has been able to get was for wednesday. Apparently the most commonly demanded procedure is dyeing and hair dye stockpiles are running low.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Those that think that WFH will stay, I find very naive. There are hundreds of middle management jobs at stake held by people who want to keep them & want the control back.

Plus, it makes firing people that much harder.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2020, 07:42:04 AM
Those that think that WFH will stay, I find very naive. There are hundreds of middle management jobs at stake held by people who want to keep them & want the control back.

Plus, it makes firing people that much harder.

Although I agree that it is -sadly- naive to think WFH will stick, I think a prominently WFH workforce would require more coordinators/middlemen not less.

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on May 04, 2020, 07:46:35 AM
I think a prominently WFH workforce would require more coordinators/middlemen not less.

More? What the Hell for?

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on May 04, 2020, 07:52:21 AM
I think a prominently WFH workforce would require more coordinators/middlemen not less.

More? What the Hell for?

Ok, bad wording, not more as per more personnel, but their role can be more important, to keep tabs on things etc.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on May 04, 2020, 07:54:14 AM

More? What the Hell for?

Ok, bad wording, not more as per more personnel, but their role can be more important, to keep tabs on things etc.

I agree with that but current middle management (a 50 year old white man) doesn't have the right skills. I do not have a good opinion of middle management, in my experience, it is held by incompetent people.

The Brain

How will homeless people get jobs in this brave new world?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Or, you know, you could simply change the culture to be results-oriented, just as job descriptions often state.

If my KPIs are in order, why the fuck do I need someone checking if I take a piss on the clock?

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2020, 07:56:04 AM

More? What the Hell for?

I agree with that but current middle management (a 50 year old white man) doesn't have the right skills. I do not have a good opinion of middle management, in my experience, it is held by incompetent people.

I'm in middle management. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on May 04, 2020, 07:36:55 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 04, 2020, 06:01:56 AM
That's not what the local experts are saying.  Even surgical masks confer some protection to the wearer.  In case of infection, the viral load will be lower and the chance of hospitalisation is lower.  What do Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea, Macau, and Taiwan have in common?  Most people in these places wear surgical masks, and they don't have the nightmarish scenarios of say the UK, Spain and Italy.

They might be saying that to encourage people to wear them. The way surgical masks work is by making it much harder for your fluids to reach surfaces or other people's faces. Once enough people wear them, the virus has nowhere to go.
It could be both.  It seems intuitive that even surgical masks would protect you to some extent, against things that are big enough for it to block that the virus attaches you.  It seems even more intuitive to me, though, that having both sick and healthy wear masks would compound the protection, maybe to the point that R0 would plummet.

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on May 04, 2020, 07:59:57 AM
If my KPIs are in order, why the fuck do I need someone checking if I take a piss on the clock?
To make sure that you don't get a urinary tract infection? :unsure:

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on May 04, 2020, 08:00:48 AM

I've known a few brilliant managers, but my experience matches Grey Fox's.

It usually ends up full of useless people endlessly reporting to each other. I'm the guy that designs the processes to manufacture stuff. Once I've got 3+ quotes for each machine, I need to launch the purchase orders. That takes a year (literally). There are 5 guys over me with no power to buy shit. Anything significant has to be signed off by the divisional VP. What the fuck are all those managers there for?

Caliga

They are there to put your ducks in a row and innovate effectiveness. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on May 04, 2020, 08:11:04 AM

I've known a few brilliant managers, but my experience matches Grey Fox's.

It usually ends up full of useless people endlessly reporting to each other. I'm the guy that designs the processes to manufacture stuff. Once I've got 3+ quotes for each machine, I need to launch the purchase orders. That takes a year (literally). There are 5 guys over me with no power to buy shit. Anything significant has to be signed off by the divisional VP. What the fuck are all those managers there for?

Teldar Paper has a long and glorious history. :angry:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 04, 2020, 07:56:04 AM

More? What the Hell for?

For now, you will probably won't stay that.