News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Yes, the proper response to that level of stupid is to null vote!
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2020, 09:20:58 PM
Well, the US President has just mentioned a possible cure - injecting disinfectants. The problem is almost solved! 😀

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-suggests-injection-disinfectant-beat-coronavirus-clean-lungs-n1191216

I could not believe it, so I actually watched the clip.  Yes, he really said it  :bleeding:

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on April 23, 2020, 10:35:52 PM
Well, the US President has just mentioned a possible cure - injecting disinfectants. The problem is almost solved! 😀

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-suggests-injection-disinfectant-beat-coronavirus-clean-lungs-n1191216

I could not believe it, so I actually watched the clip.  Yes, he really said it  :bleeding:

It would be funny, if this level of dumb didn't have consequences.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HisMajestyBOB

I think this bit is better:
QuoteTrump made the remark after Bill Bryan, who leads the Department of Homeland Security's science and technology division, gave a presentation on research his team has conducted that shows that the virus doesn't live as long in warmer and more humid temperatures. Bryan said, "The virus dies quickest in sunlight," leaving Trump to wonder whether you could bring the light "inside the body."

"So supposing we hit the body with a tremendous — whether it's ultraviolet or just a very powerful light — and I think you said that hasn't been checked because of the testing," Trump said, speaking to Bryan during the briefing. "And then I said, supposing you brought the light inside the body, which you can do either through the skin or some other way, and I think you said you're going to test that, too."

:lmfao:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Minsky Moment

It's hard not to laugh but it's really not funny that the President keeps giving false and extremely dangerous information and "advice" on medical matters.  The doctors and medical professionals in these briefings have an ethical duty to step forward immediately - then and there - and contradict these kinds of statements.  The US national response is being hampered by the fact the professionals in charge of that response are not speaking truthfully and effectively on certain matters out f fear of giving personal offense to the President, as if they were courtiers in a Stalinist regime and not public officials responsible to the American people.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on April 23, 2020, 11:05:48 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 23, 2020, 10:35:52 PM

It would be funny, if this level of dumb didn't have consequences.

Not funny at all.  It is not hard to imagine that one or two people in the US may actually follow their president's advice and drink some disinfectant, causing severe damage to their bodies or even death. 

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 24, 2020, 12:21:32 AM
It's hard not to laugh but it's really not funny that the President keeps giving false and extremely dangerous information and "advice" on medical matters.  The doctors and medical professionals in these briefings have an ethical duty to step forward immediately - then and there - and contradict these kinds of statements.  The US national response is being hampered by the fact the professionals in charge of that response are not speaking truthfully and effectively on certain matters out f fear of giving personal offense to the President, as if they were courtiers in a Stalinist regime and not public officials responsible to the American people.

By now you don't work for Trump if you have any integrity at all. The people left are retarded yes-men.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

And there's plenty of people still supporting him. Or at the very least prefer him over the evil Democrats who are out to take away guns and destroy America.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 24, 2020, 01:51:27 AM
This is the story you get if Fox news is your source : https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-coronavirus-sunlight-heat-and-humidity

I guess at least this means they know what he said was dangerously stupid. Keeping it secret is better than spreading it.

Richard Hakluyt

I thought it was very nicely spun. I've only read about 6 Fox news articles in my life, but it looks to me like quality propaganda. You can see why the typical person, who might devote 20 minutes a week to politics....if that, could be lured into a Trumpian world view.

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 24, 2020, 02:45:01 AM
I thought it was very nicely spun. I've only read about 6 Fox news articles in my life, but it looks to me like quality propaganda. You can see why the typical person, who might devote 20 minutes a week to politics....if that, could be lured into a Trumpian world view.

Yeah, good point.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.