Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on April 20, 2020, 03:32:17 AM
Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2020, 03:26:42 AM
Watch the full clip.

I have. The government has no business deciding what is fake news, much less using the police against them.

Again, you haven't watched the full clip. At the end he says "we try to disprove these fake news". There's no police action being taken, because fake news aren't illegal. And otherwise you can read the zillion clarifications issued by the police or the government itself after the controversy.

There's certainly a larger debate to be had about what governments should and shouldn't be able to do against organised destabilisation efforts, though.

Legbiter

Control measures are beginning to be eased in several countries now. Here we're going back to semi-normal from our suspiciously Swedish-looking lockdown. The health service has quadrupled overall hospital capacity, the testing is in place, granny has been locked up so now we just go forward with masks and social distancing. It'll have to do until there's a vaccine. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Threviel

I haven't found a source, but credible rumours has it that around 30% of Stockholm has already had it. Swedish CDC is on record claiming that we approach herd immunity.

garbon

Quote from: Threviel on April 20, 2020, 04:59:44 AM
I haven't found a source, but credible rumours has it that around 30% of Stockholm has already had it. Swedish CDC is on record claiming that we approach herd immunity.

Doesn't herd immunity need something like 60-80% of the population to have it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2020, 05:05:52 AM

It depends on the rate of transmission. For something as contagious as SARS-2, it might be as high as 80%.

Legbiter

Yeah, that's good news if true, means the death rate is much lower compared to total cases. Stockholm is a special category of it's own, numbers outside of it are not that dissimilar to Denmark and Norway. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

celedhring

If Sweden is 30% immune with 1,500 dead that means we and Italy are probably 100% immune by now.

So, no.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on April 20, 2020, 05:22:51 AM
If Sweden is 30% immune with 1,500 dead that means we and Italy are probably 100% immune by now.

So, no.

There is more to Sweden than Stockholm. God I hated saying that but it's true.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

That was my understanding. Interestingly from the FT stats, the hospitalisation rate is slowing (but not decreasing yet):

And Sweden is from what I understand the ultra-technocratic model on this, in that from what I've read these aren't really political decisions. Under Swedish law in an emergency the public health bodies and scientists basically decide the response (rather than making recommendations/advice that elected politicians then decide).
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2020, 05:25:39 AM

So, no.

:o
What's next? There is more to France is more than Paris?!

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on April 20, 2020, 05:25:39 AM

So, no.

I googled the amount of deaths in there but couldn't find it in the one minute I wanted to devote to the task, so I went with the crudest napkin math possible  :P

Anyway, what I mean is that given what we know about the virus mortality, it seems to me that's a bit too optimistic. I hope it's true though, because it would mean we ourselves are very likely getting there and would make the future much much much easier.

The - for now largely anecdotical - serological data we have doesn't point to a statistically large % of the Spanish population having been infected, incidentally. We'll see the results of the more serious serological surveys that are scheduled to run in the coming weeks.

Threviel

Approach |= There.

garbon

Quote from: Threviel on April 20, 2020, 05:36:31 AM

Approach |= There.

So we are approaching a vaccine? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

I would treat every assumption out of Sweden with a great pinch of salt. There must be tremendous desire to justify their care home eugenics program they opted for instead of a lockdown.

Syt

Austria's number of currently sick is ca. 3,600, down from a peak of 9,100 17 days ago. 470 dead, total of about 14,000 infected total.

Museums are to open next week. There's talk of opening restaurants, with mandatory masks for staff, and a limit of how many people are allowed inside. While I think that restaurants are among the hardest hit businesses in the crisis, I don't know how much it helps them. Many are barely profitable on the best of days, and limiting the number of guests might only slow down but not remedy the issue.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.