News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, I thought they would die eventually, but after one month they're geting louder in my neighborhood. Same with the odd car honking.

PDH

In Santa Cruz all the shut ins celebrate each afternoon at 4:20.

Of course, they also celebrate throughout the rest of the day as well.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Iormlund

We've had people chanting happy birthday a couple times, and also some surprisingly-good folk-singing by a neighbor. Also annoying "DJs".

It's mostly for the kids at this point, I'd guess.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2020, 02:23:20 PM
Yeah, I thought they would die eventually, but after one month they're geting louder in my neighborhood. Same with the odd car honking.

It has become a huge thing here.  Especially in neighborhoods near hospitals.  Local radio stations are coordinating what song people should sing that night.  The Noon horn (long story) also sounds at 7 as well as the 9 o'clock gun (again long story).

Health care workers don't see it as an empty gesture since they received pay raises both prior to and during the pandemic.

DGuller

New Jersey statistics are a little worrisome. :unsure: They haven't really been flattening the curve over the last 10 days.

Sheilbh

Interesting new FT graphics on hospitalisation figures (very patchy in the US). In Italy it looks like almost all regions are now falling:

In Spain, Madrid is definitely falling most other regions are decelerating (and Catalonia's numbers are extraordinary):

In the UK, London is definitely falling and good signs in the Midlands, Scotland and South-East - everywhere else is decelerating:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Those numbers for Catalonia are most definitely wrong. I presume there's a clerical error in the scale, or misinterpretation of the original data. We have always been below Madrid in hospitalizations, and those +10k increases are absurd.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2020, 06:01:08 PM
Those numbers for Catalonia are most definitely wrong. I presume there's a clerical error in the scale, or misinterpretation of the original data. We have always been below Madrid in hospitalizations, and those +10k increases are absurd.
Maybe a typo - 1,000 and 500 make a lot of sense?
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I think it might be the number of overall active cases rather than hospitalizations.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2020, 03:43:16 PM
New Jersey statistics are a little worrisome. :unsure: They haven't really been flattening the curve over the last 10 days.

DG which county are you in?

My 1st cousin is in Passaic county, which doesn't look too bad, but then again he's nearly 70 and with significant health issues. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on April 16, 2020, 06:15:36 PM

My 1st cousin is in Passaic county, which doesn't look too bad, but then again he's nearly 70 and with significant health issues.
I'm in the Hudson county.  It's not as deadly as Bergen or Essex counties, but it's not too far behind.

merithyn

Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2020, 12:14:42 PM
Dr Oz on Hannity: "Schools are a very appetizing opportunity. I just saw a nice piece in The Lancet arguing the opening of schools may only cost us 2 to 3%, in terms of total mortality. Any, you know, any life is a life lost, but that might be a trade-off some folks would consider."

2%-3% of children, I might add.

So, basically, he's saying that 1.4 million to 2.1 million kids dying is okay if, you know, the economy picks back up.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on April 16, 2020, 06:40:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 16, 2020, 06:15:36 PM

I'm in the Hudson county.  It's not as deadly as Bergen or Essex counties, but it's not too far behind.

:(

Stay safe DG and keep up the fitness during lockdown, it helps, supposedly.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Oexmelin

Quote from: merithyn on April 16, 2020, 07:00:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on April 16, 2020, 12:14:42 PM
Dr Oz on Hannity: "Schools are a very appetizing opportunity. I just saw a nice piece in The Lancet arguing the opening of schools may only cost us 2 to 3%, in terms of total mortality. Any, you know, any life is a life lost, but that might be a trade-off some folks would consider."

2%-3% of children, I might add.

So, basically, he's saying that 1.4 million to 2.1 million kids dying is okay if, you know, the economy picks back up.

I think we should routinely seize the assets of 2% to 3% of millionaires. It would be sad, of course, but I think it's a trade off some folks would consider to be much less horrific, and much less detrimental to the fabric of society than sacrificing children.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 16, 2020, 01:28:33 PM

The opposite seems to be happening in the US. If you get stabbed in the face and bleed out, but test positive for the virus, your death will be added to the tally for Xijinpingwinniethepoohwuhanflu.

You have proof of this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017