Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: 11B4V on April 02, 2020, 05:38:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2020, 03:54:59 PM
Remember the Captain of the aircraft carrier who sent a letter begging for help as covid-19 spread through his ship?

Yup - going to be relieved of his command.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/navy-expected-relieve-captain-who-raised-alarm-about-covid-19-n1175351

Dude cared more about his sailors than his career though - that's gotta count for something.

That's the Navy.

What did he get relieved for? Being concerned about his people on board or making it public knowledge?

Agelastus

Quote from: Zoupa on April 03, 2020, 03:19:12 AM
It's just incredibly transparent. And fake.

It's rare I agree with you Zoupa, but in this case I have no issue with what you are saying here.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Tamas

Quote from: Maladict on April 03, 2020, 05:07:40 AM
Remember the Captain of the aircraft carrier who sent a letter begging for help as covid-19 spread through his ship?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/navy-expected-relieve-captain-who-raised-alarm-about-covid-19-n1175351

Dude cared more about his sailors than his career though - that's gotta count for something.

That's the Navy.

What did he get relieved for? Being concerned about his people on board or making it public knowledge?

I don't think its advisable to publicly advertise an on-duty aircraft carrier being ravaged by a pandemic. It is being on duty to be a deterrent.

Tamas

Quote from: Agelastus on April 03, 2020, 05:12:38 AM

It's rare I agree with you Zoupa, but in this case I have no issue with what you are saying here.

Yeah, same.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2020, 05:14:03 AM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 03, 2020, 05:12:38 AM

Yeah, same.

It seems to be mostly for the benefit of the people clapping than anything else. So yeah, agreed.

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2020, 05:13:45 AM
Quote from: Maladict on April 03, 2020, 05:07:40 AM

That's the Navy.

I don't think its advisable to publicly advertise an on-duty aircraft carrier being ravaged by a pandemic. It is being on duty to be a deterrent.

Right or Wrong....pretty much.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 02, 2020, 11:33:40 PM
Here's the bet.

50 clams even.

At least one time Trump gives a nationwide "order," and at least one governor does not comply.  If Trump never gives an order, no bet.  Deadline is first date CDC announces 0 covid 19 deaths for one day.

I've got one or more governors does not comply, you've got everyone complies.

Judgement call on "order" to be arbitrated by Beeb, or your alternate, subject to my approval.

Your on
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on April 03, 2020, 05:13:45 AM

Yeah even in civilian posts, one can disagree with the boss, but the disagreement should be kept under wraps.  You always put on a united front when you face the public.

I would imagine this would be enforced to an even more vigorous extent in the military.  What the captain did was to make sure the entire world knows how to make a carrier group more or less dysfunctional.  That's a serious breach of trust. 

Sheilbh

Unless the decisions of your boss are putting the lives of your people at risk. You have a duty to raise that. If the superiors are indifferent, incompetent, shallow, self-absorbed dilettantes - such as the White House - then I'm not sure normal procedures/escalation will work. So maybe all you're left with is going public?
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2020, 07:31:27 AM
Unless the decisions of your boss are putting the lives of your people at risk. You have a duty to raise that. If the superiors are indifferent, incompetent, shallow, self-absorbed dilettantes - such as the White House - then I'm not sure normal procedures/escalation will work. So maybe all you're left with is going public?

In case of the military, I disagree.

Sheilbh

New UK numbers. Testing is increasing (about +1,000 in-patient tests a day). Another 684 deaths - each day at the minute is setting a new peak - but not accelerating, the rate is still around 25% each day.

The hospitalisation rate which will hopefully be covered at today's briefing is probably the best "current" indicator we have given that deaths lag and cases depend on testing policies.

The Queen's doing an address to the nation this Sunday evening. Not sure when she's given an address like this before, for what other evetns, but it feels very rare.

Edit: Also in addition to Hong Kong's new measures, Singapore is going back into lockdown which does indicate the second wave issue and what may be the new normal of adaptive suppression until we develop a vaccine/otherwise get herd immunity.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 03, 2020, 08:17:19 AM
New UK numbers. Testing is increasing (about +1,000 in-patient tests a day). Another 684 deaths - each day at the minute is setting a new peak - but not accelerating, the rate is still around 25% each day.

The hospitalisation rate which will hopefully be covered at today's briefing is probably the best "current" indicator we have given that deaths lag and cases depend on testing policies.

The Queen's doing an address to the nation this Sunday evening. Not sure when she's given an address like this before, for what other evetns, but it feels very rare.

Edit: Also in addition to Hong Kong's new measures, Singapore is going back into lockdown which does indicate the second wave issue and what may be the new normal of adaptive suppression until we develop a vaccine/otherwise get herd immunity.

Shelf interesting news about the Far East 'democracies'.

On the rate of increase, I think 25% per day is an acceleration, because unchecked we'd be suffering 3200-3250 in a day by next Friday.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

bogh

Total admitted and ICU beds in use dropped slightly again today, further reinforcing the sense that we put a serious brake on the infection spread by adopting the social distancing measures. Hard to see how the government can step back from easing restrictions after Easter, as numbers continue to stay low. Question is how much to open up without risking a significant spread - especially since the lag time between opening up and effects showing up. 

Grey Fox

Trump White House told 3M to stop exporting Ventilators & masks to Canada.

3M is obviously not happy & say it can lead to retaliation.

With allies like this...
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 03, 2020, 08:59:26 AM
Trump White House told 3M to stop exporting Ventilators & masks to Canada.

3M is obviously not happy & say it can lead to retaliation.

With allies like this...

I remember the good old days of lend-lease programs.

Honestly the current U.S. adminstration should rot in all of Dante's hells
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011