News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Canadian government will subsidize 75% of salary up to 58k for all business who have experience revenue decreases of 30% or more retroactive to March 15

merithyn

Quote from: Fate on March 30, 2020, 11:45:38 AM
Being slightly overweight isn't a bad thing (actually correlated with lower mortality vs the rail thin grandma) if you're about to be put into an ICU. It means you have more "physiologic reserve." The mortality data isn't segmented by degree of obesity, but it's likely highest in people with BMIs in the severe overweight to morbid range (35-40 and 40+) which unfortunately is still a huge segment of the population

That's been my understanding as well.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on March 30, 2020, 11:57:45 AM

Umm, I don't personally know anyone named Dom (nor would I refer to my husband as my Dom).:D

That's Dominic Cummings that I meant, the would be Varys of the UK.

Oops! :blush: I don't know your husband's name, so assumed it was Dominic.

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 01:02:15 PM

Umm, I don't personally know anyone named Dom (nor would I refer to my husband as my Dom).:D

Did you notice Tamas's post and just think he was really savage? :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2020, 10:55:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2020, 10:41:00 AM
And don't generalize US results to the rest of the world.  Your nation has become the world leader for infections.
You need to take a chill pill already.

Yeah, while I don't expect any better from him he fails to mention the U.S. is massively testing more people than any other country, and specifically we aren't just testing people in hospitals either. No country has a very good actual number on how many infections they have, other than a few very small island countries.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on March 30, 2020, 01:05:38 PM
And don't generalize US results to the rest of the world.  Your nation has become the world leader for infections.

Yeah, while I don't expect any better from him he fails to mention the U.S. is massively testing more people than any other country, and specifically we aren't just testing people in hospitals either. No country has a very good actual number on how many infections they have, other than a few very small island countries.

Enough of the bullshit.  The US is not massively testing more people.  Your country has a ways to go to catch up to the testing at the same rates per million as many other countries.  Your country was weeks behind taking this seriously.  But I see now that strategy the Trumpists will use.

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 30, 2020, 01:02:57 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 30, 2020, 01:02:15 PM

Did you notice Tamas's post and just think he was really savage? :lol:

Well, yeah... :unsure:

;)

merithyn

Are we, though? I mean, maybe in NYC, but that's not happening in Oregon or Washington. And I have a nurse friend in Peoria, IL, with all of the symptoms and signs of COVID who was told just last week that they weren't going to test her, they'd just assume she had it.

Maybe out east there's a lot more testing happening, but I'm not seeing it here.

merithyn

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2020, 12:23:06 PM

Ironic that I have to tell you to look at the stats.
Has nothing to do with the stats, and everything to do with your tone.

OttoVonBismarck

Yes, mostly we are meri. CC is just an American-bashing faggot who can't help himself (even as people are dying by the thousands.) The U.S. has massively ramped up testing. No, we have not tested as many "per unit of population" as South Korea, but we've tested something like a million specimens so far, which is roughly 3x as much as South Korea has total. We've also done the lion's share of that testing in the last 14 days, and have a capacity (and growing) of 50,000 tests daily. In short order we'll have higher test per unit of population ran than South Korea, as well. It's just the inevitability of the math and our testing process as it stands right now.

I never once said we were not slow to ramp up testing, we were. But what I said was factual--we have tested more people for SARS-CoV-2 than any other country, and also honestly report our results, so it is not surprising we have the most confirmed cases. Authorities in Italy have literally said testing is no longer a priority there because they only have time to care about treatment, particularly in Northern Italy almost anyone healthy enough to avoid hospitalization is not being tested. In China I frankly wouldn't be shocked if Wuhan province had millions of cases at the peak there, and wouldn't be shocked if the reason they "recovered" is they had hit herd immunity, and since China functionally sealed the province of 70m off from the rest of the country, they did a much better job of limiting internal spread than a democratic country like the United States ever could have done.

It is also true that a huge concentration of our testing right now is in the NYC metro area, several regions--particularly California, have had worrying issues given their large population ramping up testing, but it's likely to improve in the coming days.

The U.S. administration is lead by an imbecile and our initial response was bad. But let's not deny reality that we have far more wealth and resources to throw at something like a testing regime than any other country on earth, and the simple numbers are bearing that out right now.

alfred russel

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2020, 01:11:47 PM

Enough of the bullshit.  The US is not massively testing more people.  Your country has a ways to go to catch up to the testing at the same rates per million as many other countries.  Your country was weeks behind taking this seriously.  But I see now that strategy the Trumpists will use.

Your bigotry against the US is showing.

CC: the US has more cases than any other country
OvB: well we have tested more
CC: bullshit, your rates per million are less than many other countries (not the metric you originally used)
CC: btw, here is an article from a week ago (before US testing ramped up)

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 30, 2020, 01:18:37 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 30, 2020, 12:23:06 PM

Ironic that I have to tell you to look at the stats.
Has nothing to do with the stats, and everything to do with your tone.

Your country is putting the world at risk with your fucked up politics.  Fuck tone.

Edit: and your country is too full of Dorseys and Ottos to change.  Fuck it.