And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Spain daily update: 19,980 infected (+17%, but ignore this figure until testing steps up), 1,002 dead (+29%), 1,141 UCI cases (+21%).

Grey Fox

Quote from: Threviel on March 20, 2020, 04:35:28 AM
Well, fuck. I guess I'm an asshole then.

We knew that. Coming to terms that Health is more important than feeding the capitalist beast is not something easy.

I was, with great surprise on my part, authorized to work from home. You see, I am Test Tech & I work on all projects my work division does. I brought my lab home with me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2020, 03:57:48 AM
After Netflix reducing bitrate in EU by 25%, YouTube has agreed to only permit SD streaming here for the next 30 days.

I'm wondering if they'll be offering discounts then for people paying for HD. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Why are stores still selling FFP2 masks to consumers? It seems everything is being organized apart from the two most crucial things, masks and ventilators.
We'll run out of both in 2-3 days, well before the surge even starts. We're fucked.  :(

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on March 20, 2020, 06:38:25 AM
Why are stores still selling FFP2 masks to consumers? It seems everything is being organized apart from the two most crucial things, masks and ventilators.
We'll run out of both in 2-3 days, well before the surge even starts. We're fucked.  :(

We've got shoe and sofa factories manufacturing masks. Embrace the war economy!

jimmy olsen

This trend seems suboptimal

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1240957885665939457?s=21

100k --> 150k = 8 days
150k --> 200k = 4 days
200k --> 250k = 2 days
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2020, 06:41:29 AM
:lol:

I saw in the FT that a few automobile and aerospace manufacturers are hoping to get their first prototype ventilators produced next week, and then into service for the nation.

And apparently in Spain, Zara is working on the face masks too :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on March 20, 2020, 06:33:50 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2020, 03:57:48 AM
After Netflix reducing bitrate in EU by 25%, YouTube has agreed to only permit SD streaming here for the next 30 days.

I'm wondering if they'll be offering discounts then for people paying for HD. <_<

*Bis repetita placent*

So physical media are stil useful. :contract:

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 20, 2020, 06:45:39 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2020, 06:41:29 AM
:lol:

I saw in the FT that a few automobile and aerospace manufacturers are hoping to get their first prototype ventilators produced next week, and then into service for the nation.

And apparently in Spain, Zara is working on the face masks too :lol:

Yep, Zara is manufacturing protective equipment too. Some liquor makers are producing disinfectant... I'm still afraid we can't make up the huge numbers of masks/gloves needed.

When this shit ends we must set up a strategic reserve. Of gloves and masks... what a time...

Syt

Left the apartment building for the first time in a week. Beautiful weather outside, and while there's people around, it feels more like a Sunday morning than OMG I NEED TO SHOP FOR THE WEEKEND Friday at lunch time.

Most people seem to be headed to supermarkets. My corner store was as busy as usual, and opening all checkouts to keep queues/crowding in the area small. People generally keep their distance, except for what I guess was a student couple who were in jogging gear and coughing all over the place in the shop. <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Rachid Eljay, Imam of Brest, says islamic prayer will keep you free of Coronavirus  :lmfao:

https://twitter.com/dobsky33/status/1240658546485854208

French with some Arabic inside. Insh'Allah he shuts his mouth?

PS: formerly salafist, now said to be somewhat more moderate. What a nightmare if he were still a salafist!

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2020, 06:47:21 AM
Yep, Zara is manufacturing protective equipment too. Some liquor makers are producing disinfectant... I'm still afraid we can't make up the huge numbers of masks/gloves needed.

When this shit ends we must set up a strategic reserve. Of gloves and masks... what a time...
Yeah - we've got Brewdog and the gin distilleries making hand sanitisers etc.

I mentioned earlier but I wonder if we'll very soon view going outside without a mask if you've got a cold the way we view people spitting in the street.

And yeah it does feel like there needs to be a strategic reserve and while the complex international supply chains are good for consumers in normal times we actually need a way of easily ramping up that sort of production nationally - almost as a sort of national security issue. Because even if you don't have national stockpiling or restrictions on export, in a situation like this you could have, say, Italy or China shutting down manufacturing for a while.

It is very, very odd.
Let's bomb Russia!