News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

So, early this morning two people attempted to drive their car into the terminal of the Barcelona airport, allegedly they were jihadists.

Inside the airport there were nearly no passengers - no shit, given the quarantine - and a full company of the Spanish Army that was deployed there yesterday. Given there were no explosives in the car, this doesn't seem the smartest terror attack ever planned.

Iormlund

We're officially closing down for as long as the emergency state lasts. What really worries me is the aftermath, though.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2020, 01:57:09 AM
The government has backpedaled, working from home will not be mandatory. It seems businesses have leaned on the chancellor. There's still plenty of people going to offices because their management doesn't want them to work remotely.

Since the 90s, making financial sense hasn't worked. Making logistical sense hasn't worked. Making the organization nimble hasn't been a compelling argument. Shedding real estate costs hasn't been attractive enough.

Oh no. A worldwide pandemic is still not important enough to get people to stop going to cube farms.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

After Netflix reducing bitrate in EU by 25%, YouTube has agreed to only permit SD streaming here for the next 30 days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

Phrased myself badly, I need to be in contact with the people using the stuff I develop, my productivity would plummet at home. I can possibly do stuff at home, but it wouldn't be very efficient.

garbon

Quote from: Threviel on March 20, 2020, 04:27:36 AM
Phrased myself badly, I need to be in contact with the people using the stuff I develop, my productivity would plummet at home. I can possibly do stuff at home, but it wouldn't be very efficient.

And efficiency is the key priority right now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Yeah. My efficiency is shot to hell. Especially in these first days as I get set up and get into the rythem.But must be done.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Well, fuck. I guess I'm an asshole then.

celedhring

Spanish cathedrals are starting to stream daily mass.

This is quickly becoming a Black Mirror episode

MadImmortalMan

Working effectively digitally is a skill. It has to be learned. Face-to-face is always going to be easier, because it's what our monkey brains are attuned to. In my experience, once you shed that crutch, it's actually pretty liberating.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on March 20, 2020, 04:39:41 AM
Spanish cathedrals are starting to stream daily mass.

This is quickly becoming a Black Mirror episode

The Cardinal of Vienna has been streaming morning mass for a week now.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

As expected, the government has announced that the measures will run till Easter at least (13th April).
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

The Spanish public broadcaster has decided to stream fitness videos to help people keep in shape while at home. Problem is, they haven't produced any fitness show since the 1980s, so...

:lol:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

German public broadcaster has taken to showing "Sendung mit der Maus" daily. It's a 30 minute show with a mix of cartoons, songs, and - most importantly - an educational bit that is popular with adults and kids alike. Usually it's about how something relatively mundane is made or how it works. They got special recognition in the 80s when they did an episode explaining on a "for kids" level the Chernobyl disaster and its impacts. I.e., "Why you aren't allowed to play in the rain right now."
—Stephen Jay Gould