News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2020, 08:06:59 PM
WTF? US had 9,010 cases yesterday and 139 dead.

Today it's 14,139 cases and 203 dead. That's increases of 56.9% and 46% respectively

Please never teach statistics.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Zoupa

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Zoupa on March 19, 2020, 08:45:00 PM
His numbers seem ok to me.

It's not the accuracy--it's the breathless manner of delivering something like "That's increases of 56.9% and 46% respectively" with such small pools to begin with, and from a day to day basis.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2020, 08:54:17 PM
:hmm: What am I drinking? Hemlock?

Have you never played a drinking game with penalties for making false accusations?  Maybe it's a generational thing.  Maybe it's just me.

For example say we're playing biz-buzz. 1,2,biz, 4, and someone shouts "you fucked up, you have to drink."  That's a false accusation because no one fucked up.  So the accuser has to drink.

Habbaku

Never heard of it, no.  :D

Is a penalty incurred for falsely accusing someone of a false accusation?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2020, 09:05:09 PM

There is no controlling judgement.  It is an undetermined matter of law.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 09:07:12 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2020, 09:05:09 PM

There is no controlling judgement.  It is an undetermined matter of law.

Yi you're task for the sequestration is to come up with a drinking game to help see Languishites through this.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Republicans have agreed to give every adult $1250 who makes less than $75,000/year $1250 (or couple who make less than $150,000/year $2500). After that, it's minus $5 for every $100 up to $99,000. Plus $500 for every child claimed on taxes.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2020, 09:10:16 PM
Yi you're task for the sequestration is to come up with a drinking game to help see Languishites through this.  :D

Every time Timmy fucks up grammar or spelling, take a drink.

Every time mongers posts a goofy poll, one drink for each goofy poll option.

Every time grumbler uses "ad hom" or "dog pile," one drink per use.

Every time Shelf uses a cheerful smilie, one hit off a joint or bong.

mongers

France began its lockdown on Tuesday morning, requiring citizens to carry official paperwork stating why they were not at home.

French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner told Europe 1 radio on Thursday: "The 15-day period may be extended. If necessary, the government will renew it."

He said that 4,095 fines had been handed out to transgressors and 70,000 control checks made since Wednesday morning. The fine is €135 ($150; £123).

"Some people think they're some kind of modern-day hero when they break the rules - but they're imbeciles, and a danger to themselves," Mr Castaner said.

We need that regime here.

In other news, I'm quarantining any right-wingers/the virus is not big deal or a conspiracy from any contact with me.

Habbaku

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2020, 09:20:42 PM
Republicans have agreed to give every adult $1250 who makes less than $75,000/year $1250 (or couple who make less than $150,000/year $2500). After that, it's minus $5 for every $100 up to $99,000. Plus $500 for every child claimed on taxes.

The deets seem to vary a bit more than that:

QuoteThe legislation would provide checks of $1,200 per adult for many families, as well as $500 for every child in those families. Families filing jointly would receive up to $2,400 for the adults. The size of the checks would diminish for those earning more than $75,000 and phase out completely for those earning more than $99,000. The poorest families, those with no federal income tax liability, would see smaller benefits, though the minimum would be set at $600.

So, something that's means-tested on both ends.  :hmm:

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2020, 09:25:00 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 19, 2020, 09:10:16 PM

Every time Timmy fucks up grammar or spelling, take a drink.

Every time mongers posts a goofy poll, one drink for each goofy poll option.

Every time grumbler uses "ad hom" or "dog pile," one drink per use.

Every time Shelf uses a cheerful smilie, one hit off a joint or bong.

:cool:

That is brilliant, but flawed, as it will result in at least two dozen deaths from alcohol poisoning, far more of us than the virus will take.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Habbaku on March 19, 2020, 09:32:16 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2020, 09:20:42 PM

The deets seem to vary a bit more than that:

QuoteThe legislation would provide checks of $1,200 per adult for many families, as well as $500 for every child in those families. Families filing jointly would receive up to $2,400 for the adults. The size of the checks would diminish for those earning more than $75,000 and phase out completely for those earning more than $99,000. The poorest families, those with no federal income tax liability, would see smaller benefits, though the minimum would be set at $600.

So, something that's means-tested on both ends.  :hmm:

I don't mind the phasing out above a certain amount (I'll still get the full amount, but only because I'm married. I don't really need it, so I'll donate a good chunk of it), but the means testing at the lower end is some bullshit. Republicans really can't stop themselves from kicking the worst off.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help