News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

:lol: Not now, PETA!

I think the US is really alarming - stat I saw today. As I say the US has been doing way fewer tests than most countries but seems to have a significant number of cases - so either they're far better at targeting tests at people who have it or it's far more widespread. There's now more cases in NY than in the UK, from what I can see that's based on less than half the number of test the UK's run.

Edit: Also really interesting briefing by two lead UK science advisors (starts about 5.30 minutes in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9jJz00szgU
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

You know what country still hasn't had a covid case yet?

Madagascar.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Larch

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 19, 2020, 06:20:50 PM

Madagascar.

They must have closed the port on time.  :lol:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

The Larch

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zoupa on March 19, 2020, 04:31:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2020, 04:24:06 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2020, 02:52:58 PM
what the average pharmacist wage? I recall hearing around 100k, but I could be pulling that out of my ass. so even a non-partner does pretty well.
110-125k$ for those who work full time (35-40h), non partner.  Overtime is a must to pay groceries, without it, they're stretch to their limits...

Partners and owners can derive 500-1M$/year, depending on their situation.  They often invest in something else after a few years, like the building they have their store in, other appartment buildings, condos in another city/country, etc.

:lol:

No. Just, no. Pharmacists make 45 bucks an hour on average.

$45 x 8 x 5 x 52 = $93,600.  This isn't far from $110k per year, particularly if you work more than 40 hours per week, or you make a bit more than the average :contract:

merithyn

Most are salary, so there is no paid overtime.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zoupa

I've never been paid overtime in 20 years. Of course after a couple of years I drastically reduced the unpaid time I spent at work helping patients. Empathy has its limits.

Now I punch out on the dot and completely ignore any communication from work afterwards.

Josephus

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 19, 2020, 06:20:50 PM

Madagascar.

Hitler wanted to send the Jews there at one time. They'd be laughing now
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

WTF? US had 9,010 cases yesterday and 139 dead.

Today it's 14,139 cases and 203 dead. That's increases of 56.9% and 46% respectively

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2020, 08:06:59 PM
WTF? US had 9,010 cases yesterday and 139 dead.

Today it's 14,139 cases and 203 dead. That's increases of 56.9% and 46% respectively

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

Probably more testing. Once that ramps up you're going to see a lot more.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on March 19, 2020, 08:41:49 AM
We're looking at months here, too. It feels like a weird social experiment; one they'd do in the Fallout vaults, only on a much larger scale.

If anyone had told me last year that most Western countries would be in lockdown a few months later, with people staying home and public life at a standstill I'd have called them a crazy person.
I volunteer for vault 69!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 19, 2020, 08:26:57 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 19, 2020, 08:41:49 AM
We're looking at months here, too. It feels like a weird social experiment; one they'd do in the Fallout vaults, only on a much larger scale.

If anyone had told me last year that most Western countries would be in lockdown a few months later, with people staying home and public life at a standstill I'd have called them a crazy person.
I volunteer for vault 69!

You are assigned to vault 68.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?