News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2020, 02:52:58 PM
what the average pharmacist wage? I recall hearing around 100k, but I could be pulling that out of my ass. so even a non-partner does pretty well.
110-125k$ for those who work full time (35-40h), non partner.  Overtime is a must to pay groceries, without it, they're stretch to their limits...

Partners and owners can derive 500-1M$/year, depending on their situation.  They often invest in something else after a few years, like the building they have their store in, other appartment buildings, condos in another city/country, etc.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2020, 02:38:54 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 19, 2020, 03:01:28 AM
I'm about to quit this racket and open a patisserie or something.
Yeah, much better.  A lot of patisserie owner ride in Ford Aviator and pay a BMW convertible to their significant other and pay the appartment and condos for their kids while bringing all the family on a yearly vacation at christmas.

It's funny how the most leftist of us change their tune when they're being asked to do a little extra for not much dollars.

We've been doing that for years, constantly overburdenned by bureaucracy.  We were called "selfish" to complain, and that's the nicest I've heard. Stop whining.

:lol: right. Let me get hit with the lawsuits and extra work for no extra pay. Totally logical...

Do you work for free? If so come renovate my kitchen. Remember, it's 12 hour shifts with no breaks, and I'll have 300 sick people come cough in your face while you work (for free)

Zoupa

Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2020, 04:24:06 PM
what the average pharmacist wage? I recall hearing around 100k, but I could be pulling that out of my ass. so even a non-partner does pretty well.
110-125k$ for those who work full time (35-40h), non partner.  Overtime is a must to pay groceries, without it, they're stretch to their limits...

Partners and owners can derive 500-1M$/year, depending on their situation.  They often invest in something else after a few years, like the building they have their store in, other appartment buildings, condos in another city/country, etc.

:lol:

No. Just, no. Pharmacists make 45 bucks an hour on average.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on March 19, 2020, 03:00:35 PM
In "First World Problems in the Time of Corona" ... Netflix, after request by the EU, reduced its bandwidth usage by 25% through compression etc.

The Austrian regulatory body has given an exception to the net neutrality law, permitting providers to throttle video streaming if resources should run low because everyone is working from home.

More compression for streaming! Well, there is always physical media.
The travel/commute derogations, initially supposed to be shown through cell phones, will have to be on paper. Nice backtracking. :)

PS: semi-lockdown not taken seriously in Portugal, from what I hear. :(

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on March 19, 2020, 04:31:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 19, 2020, 04:24:06 PM

:lol:

No. Just, no. Pharmacists make 45 bucks an hour on average.
La Pocatière and Rivière-du-Loup are hiring, and I think Matane's Pharmaprix is looking for pharmacists too ;)
I know one pharmacist in Rivière-du-Loup is looking for a partner, too much stuff to manage with his two stores and other projects.

L'Institut de la Statistique reports 50$/hr as the average for 2016. 

Anyway.  I was told that I'm the wage I'm making, I'm in the super rich category, since I earn way above the median wage of the province and I should be expected to do more.  Your turn. ;)

Syt

Austria makes working from home mandatory from tomorrow for all jobs where it's possible. Also, supermarkets will close at 7 pm instead of 8 pm.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

This disease seems perfectly designed for the young to ignore and spread.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Increase in the number of cases in Quebec and Canada since the first case.

Barrister

So I don't know what's going on anywhere else, but in the last week and a half the announcements of Dr. Deena Hinshaw, Alberta's Chief Medical officer, have become must-see viewing in Alberta.  Occasionally Premier Kenney shows up as well, but Dr. Hinshaw carries the day in her very reassuring, but matter of fact nerd-chic announcements every day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deena-hinshaw-periodic-table-dress-sales-1.5502642

On March 17 she showed up in a dress with the periodic table printed on it.  Due to demand the company that made the dress is now putting it back into production. :D

I can't figure out how to link the picture of her in the dress - you'll just have to follow the link.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Bad time to visit Quebec.  The rate of increase is twice that of Canada including Quebec.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Love that dress. The UK equivalent is Dr Chris Whitty - he's less cool but has become a low-key icon:
https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1240397568661585920?s=20

There was some polling and he is approaching royal family levels of approval :lol:

Because some sort of hope for the end of this is helpful (exponential growth is horrendous - 10% of all coronavirus deaths were reported today :() - a kind of cool tracker of ongoing trials - over 100 of 80 different drugs in 40 different countries:
https://app.trialinsights.com/dashboard/rgZytYrGWPjoCnQqY?show=portfolio_summary&sort=last_update_posted&direction=desc&draw=0

I think the UK focus of this article in Guardian is unfortunate, key fact for me is the five different vaccines being looked at worldwide some of which will start trials this summer, based on expedited procedures during the ebola epidemic:
https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2020/mar/19/uk-drive-develop-coronavirus-vaccine-science?__twitter_impression=true
QuoteThe Oxford vaccine, known as ChAdOx1, is one of five frontrunner vaccines in development around the world. The US biotech Moderna gave its first vaccine shot to a person in Seattle earlier this week. Another US firm, Inovio, will soon start trials on its own coronavirus vaccine, which requires a special device to administer through the skin. In Germany, CureVac is working on a vaccine, while others are in development in China.

Public Health England will run "challenge" trials with the Oxford vaccine, with ferrets and macaques having the jab before receiving a controlled dose of coronavirus intra-nasally. The researchers will then check whether the vaccine prevents the build-up of virus in the animals and protects their lungs from damage.

Miles Carroll, head of research at PHE's National Infection Service in Porton Down, said there was an "aggressive campaign" to get the vaccine evaluated during the peak of the UK outbreak. That would mean giving it to people as part of a trial in the summer. The Porton Down lab is one of a small handful in the country that is licensed to store samples of the coronavirus.

"We know from the Ebola outbreak that even before a vaccine is licensed, it can have a significant impact on disease. If this looks good at protecting and we see no safety issues at all, then theoretically, after April, going into May or June, they could expand the number of people they are vaccinating and that could be into the thousands. Then, several months later, if it's working, I imagine there will be a process to massively ramp up manufacture."

And I saw a UCL professor on Twitter pass on an urgent request from the government (the world is crazy :mellow:) for companies with Thermo Fisher platforms to get in touch (I assume this is the test Johnson talked about buying hundreds of thousands of today). Apparently they'll be taken to the Milton Keynes Biocentre with the goal of running 2-300k tests a day and obviously returned to the companies at the end of this emergency.

Edit: Incidentally I thought Johnson had done well in these daily press briefings until today when he was very full-blown Boris Johnson, which was concerning.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I was thinking that animal rights groups have not been terribly vocal recently.