Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Every hour Forty Italians are dying from corona-virus.   :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2020, 04:02:44 PM
It's true.

I can understand. I'm getting cabin fever. Haven't seen the Sun or a tree in 6 days now.

Don't you have a balcony you can sing from?

mongers

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2020, 03:57:03 PM
With the nice weather, people were going outside today; in some areas there were large clusters.

Police have reminded that going for a walk is fine, but taking the whole family on a picnic or dozens of teens hanging out to skate is not ok.

If this persists I expect the lockdown to be enforced more strongly. <_<

I can see that happening here weekend onwards, weekdays will see hoards of teenagers hanging around.

So I think we too might as well follow the French or Spanish example.

Richard Hakluyt

Hordes mongers, hordes....

....civilisation will collapse unless we keep a grip.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 18, 2020, 04:12:17 PM
Hordes mongers, hordes....

....civilisation will collapse unless we keep a grip.

:lol:

Indeed. :bowler:

I was thinking about posting on the subject of food hoarders.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2020, 04:02:44 PM
Quote from: Tyr on March 18, 2020, 03:52:56 PM
No idea of the truth of it but I hear in Spain walking the dog is one of the few occasions you're allowed to go outside for. Dogs must be loving this. Family home all day and fighting each other to take them for walks.

It's true.

I can understand. I'm getting cabin fever. Haven't seen the Sun or a tree in 6 days now.

Not even went out for shopping?

alfred russel

With the nice weather, people were going outside today; in some areas there were large clusters.

Police have reminded that going for a walk is fine, but taking the whole family on a picnic or dozens of teens hanging out to skate is not ok.

Why isn't it okay to take the whole family on a picnic?

A lot of this is getting to the point of BS. The American Alpine Club just told people to limit "recreational travel" and not go climbing outside your community in rural areas (on the basis that they are vulnerable communities). I'd like to know the percentage of people visiting these areas are expected to be climbers versus people just living their daily lives (my hunch is that it is extremely trivial). If you want to talk about social distancing--how much better can you get than a cabin or tent away from civilization?

https://americanalpineclub.org/news/2020/3/17/climbers-take-action-against-coronavirus

Seriously, a lot of this doesn't sound like solid scientific advice--it begins to sound like, "there is a crisis, we need to self sacrifice and not do anything fun".

If a family wants to eat outside (which is what a picnic is), how is that better than eating inside?

The extremism is going to backfire.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2020, 02:57:34 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 18, 2020, 02:55:19 PM
So you're saying nows the perfect time to go on a crime spree? :shifty:

The worst time.  Get arrested, sit in a jail cell for six months waiting for a trial, die of covid.

Exactly so

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2020, 04:30:35 PM

Why isn't it okay to take the whole family on a picnic?

A lot of this is getting to the point of BS. The American Alpine Club just told people to limit "recreational travel" and not go climbing outside your community in rural areas (on the basis that they are vulnerable communities). I'd like to know the percentage of people visiting these areas are expected to be climbers versus people just living their daily lives (my hunch is that it is extremely trivial). If you want to talk about social distancing--how much better can you get than a cabin or tent away from civilization?

https://americanalpineclub.org/news/2020/3/17/climbers-take-action-against-coronavirus

Seriously, a lot of this doesn't sound like solid scientific advice--it begins to sound like, "there is a crisis, we need to self sacrifice and not do anything fun".

If a family wants to eat outside (which is what a picnic is), how is that better than eating inside?

The extremism is going to backfire.

You sound even more stupid than CC did about a week ago.  And that is saying a lot!

Sheilbh

Yeah I don't see the issue with eating a picnic as a family. If you are already socially distancing or self-isolating as a household, surely there's no difference doing that outside as long as you stay 2m+ away from other people? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on March 18, 2020, 04:30:35 PM

I don't know, it looks fairly sensible to me. Do go out, but don't mingle.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 04:36:48 PM
Yeah I don't see the issue with eating a picnic as a family. If you are already socially distancing or self-isolating as a household, surely there's no difference doing that outside as long as you stay 2m+ away from other people? :mellow:

You are assuming that family means people living in one home.

Zanza

One week ago, Germany had less than 2000 cases. Now it's 12300 cases. Still exponential growth. With that growth rate we will have more cases than Italy or China before the measures have an effect.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 04:36:48 PM

Problem was there were in some areas so many that the distance couldn't be kept,  exacerbated by people staying in one spot for hours.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2020, 04:38:59 PM
You are assuming that family means people living in one home.
Fair. The key is (unless you live in some absurd mansion) if you socially distancing or self-isolating as a household it doesn't matter whether you're indoors or outdoors, so long as you're socially distancing.

Apparently the upcoming London lockdown is because some people are not following the advice as requested :( :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!