And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2020, 02:14:39 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 02:07:15 PM
Brits - if you get bored/want to help it looks like local councils have websites with links to groups you can volunteer with.

Tele-volunteering?  I don't see how this works.
Not sure - I'm getting in touch. I imagine some of it will be tele-volunteering, which may be essential for the mental health and well-being of people who are being told to self-isolate for three months. Also some things like dropping off deliveries of supplies?
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Our Highest trial court just suspended operations indefinitely

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 18, 2020, 02:52:25 PM
Our Highest trial court just suspended operations indefinitely

So you're saying nows the perfect time to go on a crime spree? :shifty:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on March 18, 2020, 02:55:19 PM

The worst time.  Get arrested, sit in a jail cell for six months waiting for a trial, die of covid.

Sheilbh

The US looks like the most concerning trend line on both deaths (though UK and Spain still worrying):

And infections:

This feels relevant as I'm seeing the typical, "this is the moment Trump became President" commentary because the President is able to read a script.

Edit: Also interesting uptick in Singapore and Hong Kong cases.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2020, 02:57:34 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 18, 2020, 02:55:19 PM

The worst time.  Get arrested, sit in a jail cell for six months waiting for a trial, die of covid.

Dammit. Good point. There goes my plan of being the TP kingpin.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Tamas

Scientist dude on Sky News explains how the UK is increasing measures  - update of number of people requiring ICU treatment in Italy is turning out to be higher than previously, meaning peak times will require far more ICU beds than they originally thought.

Which just shows how idiotic it was to try and do things exactly at the fine line of optimum.

If you face a crisis endangering thousands of lives, you don't draw the countermeasures at the bare minimum you ASSUME will work, you leave room for effin' contingencies, like, IDK, a novel virus not acting precisely as your Excel sheet suggests.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2020, 03:27:35 PM
Shit, this CNN article paints a pretty grim picture in Italy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/18/europe/italy-coronavirus-lockdown-intl/index.html

That's us in 10 days.

One of the photos in the article about locked down Italy is 20 people standing around on a street corner. :mellow:

Josquius

No idea of the truth of it but I hear in Spain walking the dog is one of the few occasions you're allowed to go outside for. Dogs must be loving this. Family home all day and fighting each other to take them for walks.

In France it sounds odd. You need to print a special paper every time you go out. Which to me sounds like it's discriminating against anyone under 40 or over 65, as who else has a printer?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 18, 2020, 03:49:29 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 18, 2020, 03:27:35 PM
Shit, this CNN article paints a pretty grim picture in Italy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/18/europe/italy-coronavirus-lockdown-intl/index.html

That's us in 10 days.

One of the photos in the article about locked down Italy is 20 people standing around on a street corner. :mellow:

It's a link to another article. Google image search suggests it's an older picture from Venice, from before the full lockdown.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on March 18, 2020, 03:52:56 PM
No idea of the truth of it but I hear in Spain walking the dog is one of the few occasions you're allowed to go outside for. Dogs must be loving this. Family home all day and fighting each other to take them for walks.

Since we're in the era of wild conspiracy theories, I think I should spread one where Covid is a dog conspiracy to get their owners locked up with them all day long.  By beagle has been loving life this past 5 days or so...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

With the nice weather, people were going outside today; in some areas there were large clusters.

Police have reminded that going for a walk is fine, but taking the whole family on a picnic or dozens of teens hanging out to skate is not ok.

If this persists I expect the lockdown to be enforced more strongly. <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

You don't want pets shitting at home during a sanitary crisis... that's why it is allowed. Some people abuse it, of course.

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on March 18, 2020, 03:52:56 PM

It's true.

I can understand. I'm getting cabin fever. Haven't seen the Sun or a tree in 6 days now.