And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Camerus

I saw an ad for a dental clinic on the LRT to work this morning that said "smiling is contagious".  :hmm:

Camerus

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2020, 11:31:51 AM
Quote from: Camerus on March 18, 2020, 10:25:13 AM
Abour 300 ml of Buffalo Trace bourbon
Thank you for your support. :cool:

Yeah. Buffalo Trace has become my go-to  bourbon in that price range.

Sheilbh

Interesting in Scotland and Wales that one of the reasons schools are closing is that the guidance from scientific advice is moving to the point where that's the right choice. Also apparently many schools and nurseries no longer have enough staff to function (because of household isolation etc).

This will no doubt also be followed in England, but is huge because, for example, over a third of nurses in the NHS have school age children. So we need something in place to replace it immediately.

Edit: Current plan is a two-week break until the Easter break. Probably not going to re-open before the summer holidays I imagine. And apparently looking at what will happen for exams, which is really important for kids at that age.

Wales have also stated that if the reasonable worst case scenario happens then individual funerals may no longer be practical or sustainable :(

Edit: Majority of UK deaths in and around London - we're under 20% of the country so a real sign of us being ahead of the rest of the country on this.

Edit: Also Tube and bus use down in London by 50% and 40% respectively - again a good sign.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 11:00:16 AMI've also signed up to that online board game arena - never played with my friends but I know some of them are into board games. Yeah. Important to stay sane and connected (imagine these rules even a decade ago before Netflix, say, or Facetime :ph34r:).

If you're getting into online boardgaming, a few of us over here play games from time to time as well.  :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 11:47:15 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 11:00:16 AMI've also signed up to that online board game arena - never played with my friends but I know some of them are into board games. Yeah. Important to stay sane and connected (imagine these rules even a decade ago before Netflix, say, or Facetime :ph34r:).

If you're getting into online boardgaming, a few of us over here play games from time to time as well.  :)
Nice :)

Never tried and not even played many boardgames offline but feel like it's worth getting set up for the next few months.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

I think I've found a cure for coronavirus anxiety/depression, it's birdsong, had the windows open today for sometime and their calls make a soothing antidote to the growing gloom.   :bowler:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 18, 2020, 11:51:34 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 18, 2020, 11:47:15 AM

Nice :)

Never tried and not even played many boardgames offline but feel like it's worth getting set up for the next few months.

Go and visit the games forum, the Yucata.de thread.  ;)

Fate

475 deaths in Italy in the last 24 hours. 2,978 total deaths. It's getting worse. Tomorrow the total number of deaths will be higher than in China.

Syt

Btw, do I hear correctly that the US now closes the border with Canada but not Mexico? We really live in bizarro world. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: Fate on March 18, 2020, 12:17:00 PM
475 deaths in Italy in the last 24 hours. 2,978 total deaths. It's getting worse. Tomorrow the number of deaths will be higher than in China.

Still not 3 weeks past lockdown though.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on March 18, 2020, 11:53:38 AM
I think I've found a cure for coronavirus anxiety/depression, it's birdsong, had the windows open today for sometime and their calls make a soothing antidote to the growing gloom.   :bowler:

Agreed. :)

Fate

Quote from: Iormlund on March 18, 2020, 12:19:00 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 18, 2020, 12:17:00 PM
475 deaths in Italy in the last 24 hours. 2,978 total deaths. It's getting worse. Tomorrow the number of deaths will be higher than in China.

Still not 3 weeks past lockdown though.

They're crashing over their ICU capacity. There will be thousands of Italians who could have been saved with medical therapy but will die in the next few weeks because there just aren't enough resources available.

Iormlund

Quote from: Fate on March 18, 2020, 12:23:23 PM
They're crashing over their ICU capacity. There will be thousands of Italians who could have been saved with medical therapy but will die in the next few weeks because there just aren't enough resources available.

Situation in Madrid doesn't seem much better. A guy from Spanish EUOT said a friend of his phoned Emergency Services repeatedly with breathing difficulties and was told each time to call them back when he could no longer speak. Which is when they finally admitted him.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011