News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I do love the Chief Science Advisor after a very economy focused briefing being asked do you have anything to add and just saying "no" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Closed the border in January plus getting a visa is a real hassle.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Reason #657 the UK political press shouldn't be covering this - a question about Boris Johnson's dad :bleeding:

Edit: Two questions about Boris Johnson's dad :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

There were two snap regional elections planned for next month in Spain. They have been postponed by their respective regional governments. The constitutionality of this is rather dubious, but I don't think anybody is going to take this to the Constitutional Court...

HVC

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2020, 10:16:17 AM
Italy banning layoffs for 60 days. This sounds desperate.  :(

so what happens there, companies just go bankrupt? I mean large companies can probably absorb it, but what about small to medium?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maladict

Government to pay up to 90% of salary to anyone home without work (but still employed), company to pay remaining 10%.
Good effort to prevent mass layoffs, let's see how long they can keep his up.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on March 17, 2020, 12:31:24 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2020, 10:16:17 AM
Italy banning layoffs for 60 days. This sounds desperate.  :(

so what happens there, companies just go bankrupt? I mean large companies can probably absorb it, but what about small to medium?

I guess it's the way the state has to force companies to take those state loans and pay the bills during the crisis, instead of turning off the lights.

Legbiter

Quote from: HVC on March 17, 2020, 12:31:24 PMso what happens there, companies just go bankrupt? I mean large companies can probably absorb it, but what about small to medium?

We'll need to backstop the banking system again. Write off the debts and begin again. It'll be interesting to see what unintentional knockon effects decimating the entire service industry sector will reveal.

This will have gigantic consequences on culture, trade and politics. The center-right here has a sudden fondness for more government intervention and the tumblr-left suddenly discovered borders.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Legbiter on March 17, 2020, 12:37:44 PM
Quote from: HVC on March 17, 2020, 12:31:24 PMso what happens there, companies just go bankrupt? I mean large companies can probably absorb it, but what about small to medium?

We'll need to backstop the banking system again. Write off the debts and begin again. It'll be interesting to see what unintentional knockon effects decimating the entire service industry sector will reveal.

This will have gigantic consequences on culture, trade and politics. The center-right here has a sudden fondness for more government intervention and the tumblr-left suddenly discovered borders.

I think that, if push comes to shove, we are going to discover that while you can bail out the big boys in a financial crisis caused by higher than expected default rates on debt, there aren't enough government resources in the world to fix an economy broken by millions of hourly workers put out of work and the productivity of tens of millions of other workers significantly degraded.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HVC

Quote from: Maladict on March 17, 2020, 12:32:54 PM
Government to pay up to 90% of salary to anyone home without work (but still employed), company to pay remaining 10%.

that makes more sense. I mean you can quibble on the percent covered
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Impression of those economic plans - those loans are never going to be repaid and I think the government will end up at that position so it is big. Most of the measures seem designed to basically leverage off existing policies so that they can be rolled out very quickly - end of this week or early next week.

I don't think it'll be enough.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: HVC on March 17, 2020, 01:03:37 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 17, 2020, 12:32:54 PM

that makes more sense. I mean you can quibble on the percent covered

They're going all in on this. Blank check, whatever it takes.

Camerus

The Chinese government seems to be weathering the economic impacts from all external signs with the worst hopefully behind them 

Valmy

Quote from: Camerus on March 17, 2020, 01:12:51 PM
The Chinese government seems to be weathering the economic impacts from all external signs with the worst hopefully behind them 

Whew. I was really worried that the Chinese Government would be ok.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Camerus on March 17, 2020, 01:12:51 PM

Why is the worst behind them?

I don't want to be rude, but why do you think they are weathering the economic impacts? All evidence is to the contrary. Goldman Sachs just estimated that they will be -9% GDP growth for the quarter.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-goldman/goldman-cuts-first-quarter-gdp-estimate-for-china-sees-9-contraction-vs-2-5-earlier-idUSKBN2140PL

They are a higher growth economy than western developed countries - I'd expect us to be worse (not in Q1 because they are ahead of the curve on the disease outbreak, but as time progresses).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014