News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Parliament will convene temporarily to pass legislation to revamp EI and allow further direct payments.

garbon

Just got this message from HR: I want to bring to your attention an employee in the London office has coronavirus symptoms although it has not been confirmed as this. I do think it is important to let you know that this person was last in the office on Thursday 12 March.

The last day that I was in the office.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2020, 10:53:06 AM
Just got this message from HR: I want to bring to your attention an employee in the London office has coronavirus symptoms although it has not been confirmed as this. I do think it is important to let you know that this person was last in the office on Thursday 12 March.

Maybe its you!  :ph34r:

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:00:34 AM

That's HR for you. Thanks Cal.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Joint statement by American conservatives Stephen Moore, Art Laffer and Steve Forbes: "Don't expand welfare and other income redistribution benefits like paid leave and unemployment benefits that will inhibit growth and discourage work" :lol: :bleeding: :weep:

Even if you're on the right and support that as a general principle - in the context of a pandemic don't you actually mainly want to inhibit growth and discourage work? Like isn't that the point of the whole Angels in America "stop moving" moment we're going through?
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2020, 11:03:43 AM
Joint statement by American conservatives Stephen Moore, Art Laffer and Steve Forbes: "Don't expand welfare and other income redistribution benefits like paid leave and unemployment benefits that will inhibit growth and discourage work" :lol: :bleeding: :weep:

Even if you're on the right and support that as a general principle - in the context of a pandemic don't you actually mainly want to inhibit growth and discourage work? Like isn't that the point of the whole Angels in America "stop moving" moment we're going through?

Oh FFS :bleeding:

Tamas

Saw a news tidbit that they have assembled the council that would manage and oversee the state/military taking control of critical private companies if the need arises.

There are already provisions and legal background for such measures in case of an emergency (this is Eastern Europe, after all) but I am wondering if the UK has similar provisions?

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on March 17, 2020, 11:02:45 AM

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on March 17, 2020, 11:07:25 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 17, 2020, 11:02:45 AM

:lol:
HR: Corporate Snitches <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Might be an anomaly but Ontario new cases drop to only 8 in the past 24 hours. (By comparison, we've been getting over 100 new ones a day lately.)
So that's good, right. It's over.

In other, worse, news, we got our first death today. :(
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:06:35 AM
There are already provisions and legal background for such measures in case of an emergency (this is Eastern Europe, after all) but I am wondering if the UK has similar provisions?
Yeah I think so - my understanding is the UK government apparently has very, very strong emergency powers if needed.

Though I don't think they involve the military that much.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:06:35 AM
Saw a news tidbit that they have assembled the council that would manage and oversee the state/military taking control of critical private companies if the need arises.

We're not the UK but we do have those under an emergency. The state has used them to put private health care under the command of the Health Ministry. Would surprise me if the UK didn't.

Tamas

I'll start WFH tomorrow with the whole company across the UK and India switching to it by the end of the week. It is basically indefinitely, leadership will be monitoring the situation, but my understanding is that we will sit out the peak of the virus at home.

mongers

So what's the plan?

Are we going to 'stay' here and chat away as the apocalypse envelops us or do we head to the Ed Anger memorial bunker in the Mid-West by any available transport?  :canoes: :bicycles: :rollerskates: :deliverance:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2020, 11:16:39 AM
So what's the plan?

Are we going to 'stay' here and chat away as the apocalypse envelops us or do we head to the Ed Anger memorial bunker in the Mid-West by any available transport?  :canoes: :bicycles: :rollerskates: :deliverance:

I was thinking that since you are bit out there in the woods, British Languish could flee there once societal order breaks down in the big cities :P