News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:12:52 AM
I'll start WFH tomorrow with the whole company across the UK and India switching to it by the end of the week. It is basically indefinitely, leadership will be monitoring the situation, but my understanding is that we will sit out the peak of the virus at home.
Same - company going to remote working for everyone tomorrow. I think messaging is expecting this for probably a minimum of 3 months.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:19:15 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 17, 2020, 11:16:39 AM
So what's the plan?

Are we going to 'stay' here and chat away as the apocalypse envelops us or do we head to the Ed Anger memorial bunker in the Mid-West by any available transport?  :canoes: :bicycles: :rollerskates: :deliverance:

I was thinking that since you are bit out there in the woods, British Languish could flee there once societal order breaks down in the big cities :P
Basically as Michael Caine, in the classic film Children of Men :P
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:19:15 AM
So what's the plan?

Are we going to 'stay' here and chat away as the apocalypse envelops us or do we head to the Ed Anger memorial bunker in the Mid-West by any available transport?  :canoes: :bicycles: :rollerskates: :deliverance:

I was thinking that since you are bit out there in the woods, British Languish could flee there once societal order breaks down in the big cities :P

Good idea, though Hampshire has one of the higher counts, like Hertfordshire. Plus it seems to have a lot of bloody minded old people willing to spread the disease rather than change lifestyles.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:12:52 AM
I'll start WFH tomorrow with the whole company across the UK and India switching to it by the end of the week. It is basically indefinitely, leadership will be monitoring the situation, but my understanding is that we will sit out the peak of the virus at home.

It's only been 5 days for me and it's already getting old. And I'm an indoor cat. With my history I'm looking at months of this ...

Sheilbh

God the NHS planning is grim. Doctors will be getting guidance on triage for ICU if we get to that point, but the guidance is being prepared. Most visitors will be banned - the main exception is for people with parents/children and people in end of life care, front-line workers will be offered hotel rooms if they want to self-isolate if they want to carry on working but one of their household shows symptoms (to avoid household isolation) :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2020, 11:03:43 AM
Joint statement by American conservatives Stephen Moore, Art Laffer and Steve Forbes: "Don't expand welfare and other income redistribution benefits like paid leave and unemployment benefits that will inhibit growth and discourage work" :lol: :bleeding: :weep:

Soon as you stop redistributing wealth to the big companies and banks that discourage competence, sure.

Granted they probably agree with that also.

I hate the argument that starvation and homelessness are the only reasons the peons would ever work. It is not a good look really. Maybe if people had options we wouldn't need things like extensive government regulations and minimum wages because businesses would actually have to attract workers instead of using their fear of destitution to exploit them? Like a free market solution to big government? Nah best to keep the current system.

Universal Basic Income, it was good enough Milton Friedman it should be good enough for these clowns.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2020, 11:29:25 AM
God the NHS planning is grim. Doctors will be getting guidance on triage for ICU if we get to that point, but the guidance is being prepared. Most visitors will be banned - the main exception is for people with parents/children and people in end of life care, front-line workers will be offered hotel rooms if they want to self-isolate if they want to carry on working but one of their household shows symptoms (to avoid household isolation) :(

That IS grim. It's a bit scary/worrying to be immigrants in such situation, simply because the lack of the generations-spanning contact network that I had via my family and friends back home. Couple of nurses we know could get us around such restrictions to see loved ones or get stuff to them and such.

Sheilbh

Another 14 deaths, up to 69.

The UK figures on mortality are really concerning. This may just reflect the different spread of the infection so out of London is about three weeks behind Italy and London is further ahead - I think most of the deaths so far have been in London. But we are about or just under trend on infection rates, we are way, way above trend on deaths.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 17, 2020, 11:45:59 AM
Another 14 deaths, up to 69.

The UK figures on mortality are really concerning. This may just reflect the different spread of the infection so out of London is about three weeks behind Italy and London is further ahead - I think most of the deaths so far have been in London. But we are about or just under trend on infection rates, we are way, way above trend on deaths.

An obvious explanation would be deficiencies in testing keeping infection numbers WAY off real numbers, even more so than in other countries.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:40:58 AM
That IS grim. It's a bit scary/worrying to be immigrants in such situation, simply because the lack of the generations-spanning contact network that I had via my family and friends back home. Couple of nurses we know could get us around such restrictions to see loved ones or get stuff to them and such.
Yeah - that's a really good point because there's going to be so many people in a similar situation who might need to self-isolate for a while and may not have any support network.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

So what's the plan?

Stay put and self-isolate. With enough self-isolation the virus will go extinct in local communities. Then you can lift restrictions and only have to babysit foreign travellers.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2020, 11:47:47 AM
An obvious explanation would be deficiencies in testing keeping infection numbers WAY off real numbers, even more so than in other countries.
Maybe. It'd be interesting to see who is getting tested in different countries and how many tests are being done and the rate it's growing. Because on the raw numbers, we're way behind South Korea and Italy but seem to be doing quite a lot:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

This is a week old and at that point the average daily rate has gone up from 1,500, between then and now it's averaging 3,500 a day and the number of tests have doubled. But I think given how important everyone says testing is it'd be an area where we could do with a lot more information about other countries.

As I say I don't really understand why we haven't learned and replicated what South Korea have managed to do on testing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Incidentally my medical research friend - works at a UK university that is feeding into all of the research efforts - but he's not got a medical background. He's a biologist and normally focused on malaria and some other tropical illnesses.

As I mentioned Public Health England are apparently stretched so apparently they've asked this uni (and I imagine others) to help develop the serology test - which would be able to identify if people have it AND if they have previously had it. But the NHS are also asking for volunteers to basically help run the general tests currently. So it feels like they really are stretched and asking for help from anyone with potentially relevant skills.

I mean I don't know what my physio is being re-directed to do - "do you feel more coronavirusy in your right leg or your left leg?" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

This is from Sheremetyevo airport in Moscow. All passengers getting off the plane get masks and temperature checks. :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Fate

And Russia has only reported 114 cases. Something's rotten in Moscow. :lol: