News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

We are living in the weirdest timeline.

https://www.politico.eu/article/coronavirus-isis-terrorists-europe/

QuoteISIS tells terrorists to steer clear of coronavirus-stricken Europe

Terror group advises hand washing rather than attacks on the West.

Islamic State (ISIS) has adopted a safety-first approach to the coronavirus pandemic and advised its members not to travel to Europe, Homeland Security Today reported.

In the latest edition of the terrorist group's al-Naba newsletter, the editors who normally urge followers to carry out attacks on the West instead ask them to "stay away from the land of the epidemic" for the time being.

In a full-page infographic on the back cover, a list of pro-tips instructs militants on how to stop the pandemic's spread. ISIS members are advised to "put trust in God and seek refuge in Him from illnesses," but to also "cover the mouth when yawning and sneezing," and to wash their hands frequently.

Those who believe they might have contracted coronavirus are told to stay away from areas under ISIS control in order to preserve the health of others and fulfil the holy "obligation of taking up the causes of protection from illnesses and avoiding them."

Much like more conventional publications, al-Naba has been breathlessly reporting on the coronavirus's spread since the beginning of this year, when it first wrote about the "new virus [that] spreads death and terror in China." Although past editions of al-Naba have expressed concern that members of China's Uyghur muslim minority could bring the virus into areas under its control, in the latest newsletter the editors portray the pandemic as a problem that is affecting the outside world.

So far, few cases have been reported in the African countries where the militant group is active, and the ongoing wars have made it impossible to determine if the virus has spread to Syria and Yemen. However, numerous cases have been confirmed in other countries that ISIS claims as part of its caliphate, including Afghanistan, Algeria, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Iraq and the Philippines.

:XD:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

bogh

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2020, 11:07:03 PM
Hey what should the Barrister clan do here.

The week of spring break my wife was going to take the kids for 2 nights to Banff (well actually Canmore) to hang out in the mountains.  Plans were basically just to do some walking/hiking outside, and to swim in the hotel pool.  They're driving (not flying), not leaving the province.  I figured really the only risk factor would be eating at restaurants, but they can order out and eat at the hotel too.  I was going to stay back and keep working.

Should they go on this trip during the current health crisis?

No.

Tamas

Quote from: bogh on March 16, 2020, 04:59:26 AM

The week of spring break my wife was going to take the kids for 2 nights to Banff (well actually Canmore) to hang out in the mountains.  Plans were basically just to do some walking/hiking outside, and to swim in the hotel pool.  They're driving (not flying), not leaving the province.  I figured really the only risk factor would be eating at restaurants, but they can order out and eat at the hotel too.  I was going to stay back and keep working.

No.

Agreed. The risk to themselves aside, people should stay on their asses for a couple of months, and not volunteer to be conduits and incubators for this bloody thing spreading to vulnerable people.

The Brain

I would keep non-essential trips to a minimum for now. For many reasons.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: bogh on March 16, 2020, 04:59:26 AM

No.
Yeah - I'd have a slightly different view if you were self-catering or camping. And Iorm's point is right, I think everyone needs to take extra care of themselves to avoid needing any medical attention.

Unrelated but my company WFH system is veeeeeery slow today. It feels like more or less the entire firm is out of the office.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Keep them close BB, don't risk a lockdown separating your family.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on March 16, 2020, 05:21:12 AM
So, how about that Trumpy cunt trying to keep a vaccine for himself.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/not-for-sale-anger-in-germany-at-report-trump-seeking-exclusive-coronavirus-vaccine-deal

He is still going to get reelected so I refuse to work myself up over it. Just classic scumbag Trump.

grumbler

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/not-for-sale-anger-in-germany-at-report-trump-seeking-exclusive-coronavirus-vaccine-deal

Sounds to me more like the Gorilla Channel story than a real story (note that not one person quoted has said that it was more than rumors).

This will be true even if someone breathlessly reports this story in this thread a fourth or fifth time.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2020, 05:27:23 AM

Sounds to me more like the Gorilla Channel story than a real story (note that not one person quoted has said that it was more than rumors).

This will be true even if someone breathlessly reports this story in this thread a fourth or fifth time.

The story was originally broken German paper Welt am Sonntag quoting German government circles as source. WaS is usually reliable when it comes to facts which is why it gained some traction.

It's good that this has since been cleared up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Photo from the Guardian of a Tube train during rush hour :ph34r:

Meanwhile I've finally found a group of protesters even I get annoyed at. A group in fake hazmat suits and facemasks were protesting outside Downing Street, they're called "Pause the System" and want:
"- the Govt to halt all non-essential business so people can stay at home
- things like surgical masks& hand sanitiser provided free for all
- animal trade ended "to prevent future deadly pathogens developing."

I feel like it'd be easier to ensure supply of surgical masks if people weren't buying it to dick about outside Downing Street :lol: :bleeding:

Some newspapers are changing how they're reporting (following recommendations/criticism from academics) to focus on "growth rate" rather than just numbers, this seems sensible.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2020, 05:39:46 AM
The story was originally broken German paper Welt am Sonntag quoting German government circles as source. WaS is usually reliable when it comes to facts which is why it gained some traction.

Yeah - if it came from the UK press I'd be dubious, but I'd be willing to trust the German press :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 16, 2020, 05:46:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 16, 2020, 05:39:46 AM

Yeah - if it came from the UK press I'd be dubious, but I'd be willing to trust the German press :lol:

Even then it depends on the paper. Bild, e.g., can be quite bad.
—Stephen Jay Gould