News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Hey what should the Barrister clan do here.

The week of spring break my wife was going to take the kids for 2 nights to Banff (well actually Canmore) to hang out in the mountains.  Plans were basically just to do some walking/hiking outside, and to swim in the hotel pool.  They're driving (not flying), not leaving the province.  I figured really the only risk factor would be eating at restaurants, but they can order out and eat at the hotel too.  I was going to stay back and keep working.

Should they go on this trip during the current health crisis?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

How many states and countries are closing restaurants? You think Alberta will be any different?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

viper37

That would too good to pass, sorry, I believe some humour is warranted in these times of social siolation :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hks6Nq7g6P4&feature=youtu.be
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2020, 11:07:03 PM

The week of spring break my wife was going to take the kids for 2 nights to Banff (well actually Canmore) to hang out in the mountains.  Plans were basically just to do some walking/hiking outside, and to swim in the hotel pool.  They're driving (not flying), not leaving the province.  I figured really the only risk factor would be eating at restaurants, but they can order out and eat at the hotel too.  I was going to stay back and keep working.

when is spring break for you? it was 2 weeks ago for us.

From what I see, spending time outdoor in Banff seems like a great idea.  If restaurants aren't crowded (avoid normal dining hours), it could be ok too.
Quebec has limited restaurants to 50% capacity for now, Alberta might follow soon, but I don't think they'll shut them off completely.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

The ski resorts in BC are closing - Banff can't be too far behind

Zanza

By the way, ski resorts in Tyrol and South Tyrol seem to be the major source of infections in Europe, especially Ischgl. Despite warnings at end of February from e.g. Iceland of all places, they kept it open way too long. If the effect is noticeable in the Nordic nations, it must be devastating in Germany. Tens of thousands of Germans go to Tyrol for skiing. I know many who went there personally.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 16, 2020, 12:13:37 AM

The ski resorts in BC are closing - Banff can't be too far behind

Nobody is going skiing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Threviel

Most of the early cases in Sweden were tourists coming back from the Alps, now it's spreading on its own.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on March 16, 2020, 12:27:37 AM
By the way, ski resorts in Tyrol and South Tyrol seem to be the major source of infections in Europe, especially Ischgl. Despite warnings at end of February from e.g. Iceland of all places, they kept it open way too long. If the effect is noticeable in the Nordic nations, it must be devastating in Germany. Tens of thousands of Germans go to Tyrol for skiing. I know many who went there personally.

Yeah, there's a lot of criticism of that over here, but the Tyrol state government says, "We were enacting regulations as recommended by the federal government at all times." <_<

Even this weekend, a member of federal parliament from Tyrol said that shutting down the state like that was ridiculous, "after all, 2/3 of Tyrol haven't even been touched by the infection."

I'm positively surprised with how our Child Chancellor is handling things. His first time in office, with the right wing FPÖ, he was known for mostly two things: being silent whenever a scandal happened in the FPÖ (hence his nickname "Schweigekanzler", or silent chancellor), and delivering on the wishlist from chamber of commerce and the industrialists' association with laws that weren't discussed in parliament and didn't go through the usual review process.

I kind of shudder to think if the less competent FPÖ was still in government and in the health ministry, or if their candidate had won the presidency in 2016 (which likely would have affected last year's Ibiza crisis significantly, and possibly increased the crisis).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Also, I'm quite stunned how fast the situation can change.

Last Monday we were in the office, discussing that it was terrifying what was happening in Italy and wondering. But since Austria wasn't hit that bad we expected no strict measures except the usual "stay away from people, wash your hands".

A week later, we're working from home, most shops are closed, restaurants, bars etc. are closed, people have to work from home, and the land comes to a standstill.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Bad idea Beeb.  Even if hotels and restaurants and gas stations are still open, your family is coming in contact with people they otherwise wouldn't.

Iormlund

Speaking of hiking in the wilderness, from now on it's not going to be the best time to take risks we otherwise would not think twice about.

You'll really want to minimize the chance of needing urgent medical attention for the foreseeable future.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on March 15, 2020, 10:18:34 PM
As some of you may know, I'm a (community) pharmacist. We ran out of masks, hand sanitizer, wipes and alcohol about a week ago.

Our wholesaler said they estimate 6 months til we get more  :huh:

So we're working in even worse sanitary conditions than before this thing started. Won't be long that an employee gets symptoms, and then the whole staff apparently needs to go in quarantine according to gvt recommendations.

Not sure what happens to all our patients then.

I thought you were medical researcher.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

celedhring

The Catalan health department is starting a trial with a combo of a VIH antiviral and chloroquine to diminish contagion rates (not cure it), among 3,000 people.

Basically they are giving it to 200 infected and 2,850 close contacts and health professionals tending to them, and track their viral loads.