News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Cases up 1100 since yesterday. There were 800 the day before. Anither 42% increase. The exact same as the day before.

3,753 cases   65 deaths
https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

I drove home from my dad this Sunday evening, at the usual time.  This trip from Brooklyn to Jersey City usually takes 75-90 patience-trying minutes, crawling inch by inch to the Holland Tunnel.  Today it took 35 minutes. :unsure: That's Wuhan-level creepy.

jimmy olsen

Also the Fed cut the rate to zero and began QE.

Dow's going to lose everything it gained Friday. Might hit the 2nd circuit breaker

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/03/15/traders-await-futures-open-after-fed-cuts-rates-launches-easing-program.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

I think I'm coming down with CNFS*  :(

* Corona-virus News Fatigue Syndrome.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Fate

Quote from: fromtia on March 15, 2020, 05:51:12 PM
Quote from: Fate on March 15, 2020, 05:17:17 PM
Seems like Fauci is hinting at a nation wide recommendation to shut down bars/restaraunts... maybe tomorrow.

Yes, speculating with my colleagues on this move last night. Restaurant was still half full. I got my shift cancelled today, and honestly not sure if I'll be going back to work anytime soon. I've no doubt the fed will rush to bail out waiters.

I have reserves to pay the mortgage and keep the lights on for three months, we will be eating beans and rice. Not so bad. For month four I've no idea.
Assuming you don't work for a big chain with >500 employees, then the House bill will pay for at least 14 days of wages at 2/3rds your average monthly income. It's not a lot... but maybe they'll have to do stop-gap extensions if we really go for 4 months like this.

Iormlund

Quote from: 11B4V on March 15, 2020, 06:27:53 PM
Yea...trying to lock this country down will be like herding cats. :wacko:

They've had to call in the army and we're not even armed.  :blush:

fromtia

Quote from: Fate on March 15, 2020, 06:59:16 PM

Assuming you don't work for a big chain with >500 employees, then the House bill will pay for at least 14 days of wages at 2/3rds your average monthly income. It's not a lot... but maybe they'll have to do stop-gap extensions if we really go for 4 months like this.

I'll have to look into it. Some money is better than no money.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on March 15, 2020, 07:23:09 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 15, 2020, 06:27:53 PM
Yea...trying to lock this country down will be like herding cats. :wacko:

They've had to call in the army and we're not even armed.  :blush:
One reason I am dubious about a long-term lockdown is that once the weather turns, I just can't see anything less than armed force being needed to keep English people from a pub beer garden :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Do you have a link to an article that gives good details on the bill?  I heard Pelosi say something about augmented unemployment but I don't really know what that means either.

Fate

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2020, 07:34:24 PM

Do you have a link to an article that gives good details on the bill?  I heard Pelosi say something about augmented unemployment but I don't really know what that means either.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/3/14/21179651/coronavirus-house-pelosi-aid-testing

Obviously this isn't law yet. Trump says he supports it but the Senate may throw up some new roadblocks.

viper37

Not going to read those 40 pages I'm missing.  Sorry if I repeat what another Quebec's guy already posted.

The Federal government is doing an abysmal job.  I've read yesterday that they were redirecting passenger planes to select airports with more staff and more preparations to check for symptoms, but it's just a plan.  Still no control at the entry points, everything is left to the provinves.

Meanwhile, the Quebec government is doing a great job, but it's still hard to swallow that loss of liberty.  I'm used to social isolation, but my few public interactions seem to have been cancelled now.

Last Thursday we had 8 cases.  Saturday morning was 24.  35 as of today.  Stil no deaths here and no one in critical condition.

On top of closing schools and asking people to refrain from travelling, the Quebec government has shut down all public libraries, musuems, theaters, ski resorts, aquatic parks, zoos, aquariums, sugar camps, buffets, pools, gyms, cinemas, bars and everything similar.  Restaurants have been asked to limit their places to 50% of the usual capacity.

The state of emergency has been declared.  I've never thought I would live through something like that.  Answering a question about worst case scenario, the Premier answered that if we do nothing, 4 million people will be infected and we'll need around 10 000 intensive care units.  That's twice what is available for the entire country.  I think Quebec has around 1400 of these units.

Hopefully, with such drastic measures taken now, we'll be able to shorten the closure times, but it also depends on our neighbours.  The majority of Ontario's latest cases were people coming from the United States. 

My uncle&godfather is in Florida, he lives there all winter with his girlfriend in their condo.  He'll have to come back sooner than expected and undergo quarantine.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 15, 2020, 06:37:59 PM
I think I'm coming down with CNFS*  :(

* Corona-virus News Fatigue Syndrome.

Then stay out of the thread.   <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?