News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2020, 02:15:34 PM
Over here they have been clapping from balconies to thank health professionals two evenings in a row. Easier and fortunately less potentially annoying that a bunch of randoms singing  :lol:
Also - I think the gesture is lovely. But every time I see a video I'm inwardly panicking because it looks like people are very close together :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

That phone video from Sienna was lovely.  I saw one from Naples and the people were just screeching.  :pinch:

Fate

Quote from: Barrister on March 15, 2020, 02:03:47 PM
My wife is kind of freaked out that, unlike Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba, they have not closed schools down here.  The government has said realistically if they close schools now they'll be closed until next September.

That seems quite excessive. Realistic is maybe 3 or 4 months at max.

Josephus

Quote from: Fate on March 15, 2020, 02:25:57 PM
My wife is kind of freaked out that, unlike Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba, they have not closed schools down here.  The government has said realistically if they close schools now they'll be closed until next September.

That would bring it to July. What we call summer.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Unless if they were going to cancel summer break, 3-4 months takes us to June or July, the end of the school year.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Fate

Quote from: Josephus on March 15, 2020, 02:30:42 PM

We're shutting down the Western economy for a few months. Moving summer break seems like a relatively easy lift.

Ohio is doing a superb job at staying ahead of the curve. The Republican governor DeWine was one of the first to do a state wide shutdown of schools and is now shutting down all bars and restaurants. Takeout and delivery are still allowed.

Edit: Illinois now too. Maybe Trump should ... say something.

Syt

The state of Tyrol is being criticized for reacting too slowly to the infections there. Tyrol is the epicenter in Austria, with almost 1/3 of the cases centered around a few ski resorts. While these places are now under quarantine, Iceland already warned of it over a week ago when a group of ski tourists returned with the bug.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Fate on March 15, 2020, 02:58:35 PM
Quote from: Josephus on March 15, 2020, 02:30:42 PM

We're shutting down the Western economy for a few months. Moving summer break seems like a relatively easy lift.

Ohio is doing a superb job at staying ahead of the curve. The Republican governor DeWine was one of the first to do a state wide shutdown of schools and is now shutting down all bars and restaurants. Takeout and delivery are still allowed.

Edit: Illinois now too. Maybe Trump should ... say something.

That's what should be happening.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Oexmelin

Trump saying something may make the situation worse.
Que le grand cric me croque !

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Austrian parliament had only its 4th Sunday session since the end of WW2 today. All parties unanimously approved (with a few small changes brought by the opposition) a law to enact the government's measures effective tomorrow. The president has already signed the law.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

The Spanish government has requisitioned all private hospitals (which have roughly 33% of all beds in Spain) while the crisis lasts. They are also going to hire additional doctors sidestepping the formal process, and accepting credentials from other countries.

They have also given an updated test count: 30,000

Spanish ISPs have reported a 40% increase of internet traffic in the first day of lockdown.

Camerus

My wife is kind of freaked out that, unlike Ontario, Quebec and Manitoba, they have not closed schools down here. 

I can't imagine that keeping schools open will last long. Particularly when coupled with the new "zero tolerance" for respiratory sickness policy and absence of mass testing.

Are primary school kids going to be sent home whenever one of them has a cough? What about their classmates, teachers, etc?

In our particular moment, I'm not sure we can expect a calm and judicious reaction in all cases - particularly as the number of cases in wider society continue to blow up.

Josquius

I've just realised a scary thing about coronas spread.
Next Sunday is mother's day.
Expect a lot of people to travel specifically to see and hug their elderly mother and grandmother.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould