News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

So here we go:

- The government urges employers to make employees work from home as much as possible possible. Social contacts to be reduced as much as possible.

- From Monday, all restaurants, bars, cafés close at 3 pm.

- Shops will be closed. Supermarkets, pharmacies, drug stores, banks, and other critical infrastructure will stay open.

- Flight connections to Spain, France, Switzerland will be shut down. Border controls with Switzerland will be introduced.

- Ski areas Paznauntal and St. Anton on Arlberg in Tyrol will be isolated/put under quarantine for 14 days (virus is spreading very fast there, mostly in the crowded ski resorts where vacationers didn't give a crap about taking precautions).

Target is slowing the speed at which the virus spreads.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I know it's not a priority now - but I do wonder if this will have a long-term impact in how people work :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Kinda curious if our boss will order people to work from home next week. In Italy all our offices are open for business. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2020, 08:25:50 AM
I know it's not a priority now - but I do wonder if this will have a long-term impact in how people work :mellow:

I think so, lots of managers that were close to the idea will have to face a swath of workers who will want it. At least, in a case of emergency situation.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

All schools closed. Mass gatherings are banned, etc for 30 days. Finally.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DGuller

My guess is that it will show once and for all that "work from home" is mostly a nonsense idea.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 13, 2020, 08:50:16 AM

I think so, lots of managers that were close to the idea will have to face a swath of workers who will want it. At least, in a case of emergency situation.
And huge swathes of white collar workers will realise their work doesn't involve much "work" and they don't really need to be in the office at all :lol:

Edit: Romanian Prime Minister has self-isolated and Bolsonaro has tested positive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on March 13, 2020, 09:01:46 AM
Introvert Utopia.  :lol:

Hells yeah. :P

I saw some meme the other day about how now we will truly see how many of those meetings could have been emails.  :D

DGuller

Are all the VIPs statistically more likely to test positive, or am I not properly putting all those VIP positive tests in statistical context?  It may actually be a good sign if all the powerful people are testing positive, as I'm sure they're tested with far greater likelihood, and that may indicate that a lot bigger chunk of the population is already infected than we think.

Tamas

290 new confirmed cases in one day in the UK.

Taking it on the chin!

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2020, 09:13:40 AM
290 new confirmed cases in one day in the UK.

Taking it on the chin!
Taking it on the chin seems like a bad strategy.  It seems like everyone is recommending to avoid contact with the face.

Sheilbh

290 more cases in the UK, so up to 798. :ph34r:

Again very encouraged by testing numbers though - over 3,000 tests yesterday. I still really think we (everyone) should be focusing on more testing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Germany is now enacting lockdowns and school closures. Due to our federal structure, each of the sixteen states is doing it slightly differently.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2020, 09:15:56 AM
290 more cases in the UK, so up to 798. :ph34r:

Again very encouraged by testing numbers though - over 3,000 tests yesterday. I still really think we (everyone) should be focusing on more testing.

corrected on the Guardian to 208. Still a lot on that chin.