News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2020, 04:14:25 AM
I am set to become the only people I know who isn't asked to work from home. FFS.

Have you requested it at work? Are other colleagues working from home already?

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2020, 06:19:59 AM
I am set to become the only people I know who isn't asked to work from home. FFS.

It's being brought up repeatedly. Nobody is working from home yet apart from people testing contingency plans or people who could muster an excuse. Including my bosses boss :P

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2020, 06:22:06 AM

It's being brought up repeatedly. Nobody is working from home yet apart from people testing contingency plans or people who could muster an excuse. Including my bosses boss :P

And what do your colleagues think about it? Are others requesting it as well?

You know, you could stop bringing it up and just fucking demand it.  :P

bogh

If you suppress something very hard, when you release those measures it bounces back at the wrong time so our aim is to try and reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not to suppress it completely. So because most people get a mild illness, to build up some degree of herd immunity as well, so that more people are immune to this disease and we reduce the transmission, at the same we protect those who are most vulnerable.

The Danish domestic lockdown isn't rooted in an attempt to suppress it - merely to broaden the peak exposure to allow our health sector to absorb and treat anyone affected. I don't think the core philosophy is fundamentally different here - just the reading of how much effort it takes to broaden the peak and prevent it from spiking out of control.

I suspect we are being overly cautious, but I think erring on the side of caution is pretty prudent in this.

Syt

So, the communications strategy seems to have misfired a bit here.

Government: "Tomorrow we will announce additional measures that will go in effect on Monday. Also, as of Monday, prepare to keep your social contacts to a minimum."
Population: *wonders what will be announced, wild rumors spread, people swarming stores to stockpile*
Government: "Why are you so anxious?!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2020, 06:24:41 AM

This is England, mate. Everyone is hinting at it, discussing it, waiting for the company decision, but nobody dares stepping forward to demand it. Being by far the newest employee in the whole building, I ain't be the first one.

Syt

Slovakia shuts down all internation air ports and rail lines. Ships on the Danube are only permitted to transit the country. Borders are being monitored.

Czech Rep. is not permitting Austrians and nationals of 17 other countries to enter. Most border crossings are shut down.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2020, 06:26:51 AM

This is England, mate. Everyone is hinting at it, discussing it, waiting for the company decision, but nobody dares stepping forward to demand it. Being by far the newest employee in the whole building, I ain't be the first one.

Demonstrate your continental bravery by openly demanding it. Either that or stop bitching over here.  :P

Tamas

Sheilbh

Got a friend who works in South Sudan for the UN. And normally he does a regular (and quite nice) R&R cycle.

But South Sudan have now suspended all flights to countries with cases. That means that the only place he can now get to out of South Sudan for a connecting flight is Rwanda and is just hoping they don't get a case, as it looks like he'll be sitting this out in the UN's South Sudan compound (in fairness they can and do travel round Juba pre-curfew).
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on March 13, 2020, 06:30:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2020, 06:26:51 AM

Demonstrate your continental bravery by openly demanding it. Either that or stop bitching over here.  :P

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

First cases reported in Austin. Weirdly this means my office is opening at 10AM this morning...what the purpose of that is I am not sure.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

I would have guessed to avoid public transport, but I assume not in Texas.

Pro-tip for the hoarders: avoid the big supermarkets and go to your local corner shop. Mine has what I can only describe as a wall of loo-roll at the back :lol:

Edit: Also interesting tweets on meeting with opposition parties, the political consensus may be breaking down a little bit:
QuoteNEW: There was a meeting of opposition parties with health ministers and officials this am. I'm told key points were:

-they want govt to better explain why there is such a big difference in approach from UK vs other countries.
-concerns of over emphasis on behavioural science...
-opposition parties are concerned over a lack of detail as to how govt will protect the elderly and vulnerable.
-commitment to work together
-opposition parties made the point at the meeting that, they think the public are now ahead of the govt and are seeking greater leadership, they say the govt are weeks behind in the advice that they should be given – particularly on reducing contact for elderly and vulnerable.
-In attendance at the meeting were

Helen Wheatly – Minister

Ed Davey – LDs
Phillipa Whittford –SNP
John Ashworth –Lab
Jeremy Corbyn –Lab
Shami Chakrabati – Lab
Ian Blackford – SNP
Liz Savile Roberts-Plaid
Column Eastwood – SDLP
Jeffery Donaldson – DUP
Natalie Bennet – G

Edit: Also I kind of wonder if we're socially/politically able to handle this. I saw a lengthy tweet, by a scientist, on some conflicting points around the Chief Science Advisor's comments.
The first reply: Boris wants to cull the elderly to cut pensions.
Me: :o
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Looks like Spain will decree the state of emergency in a few minutes. Now I have to decide if I hole up with my parents or alone.

Caliga

Our Chicago, Louisville, and Plano offices start working from home next week.  Now AP is trying to figure out how it's gonna pay tax bills when nobody would be here to actually collect checks coming out of the printer. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points